• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TCX Vibe Air Boots

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
I don't have much information to add over what the Revzilla video details:

I ordered from a vendor at Amazon for significantly less. Was a little concerned they wouldn't be legitimate since they were about $60 cheaper but Amazon has a pretty great return policy so I went for it. They arrived today so I can't comment on how they are on the bike.

I'm regularly a size 9 in Converse, Reebok, Bates, Doc Marten, 5.11, Justin... I'll size up a half size for Brooks running shoes. I went with size 42 and that was perfect. I've been wearing a pair of Bates USMC boots for motorcycling which are comfortable, have great soles and leather all around but my ankles felt unprotected. I initially was interested in a few offerings from Alpinestar but doing research found TCX to be a little cheaper, but offering what appears to be slightly better ankle protection. The boot is CE rated.

Putting them on requires a bit more work than your average boot but I expect it to break-in slightly. The velcro strap at the very top is a nice touch to hold the laces in, preventing them from getting tangled on your bike's pegs or chain. It's comfortable out of the box and really does offer some decent ankle protection. Prior to these I did have a pair of AGV race boots and never cared for them because even on the bike they were so restrictive in movement. I can comfortable wear these to ride the bike to Home Depot and comfortably walk around for a while. I'm doing a trip to the Skip Barber museum and will pack my Converse when I get there because I don't believe I'd want to spend all day walking around in these.

I never heard of TCX until I was browsing around on Revzilla, so far just based on out of the box and walking around the house I'm impressed. I like how they don't look completely out of place when you're not on the bike, but provide some real functionality when you are. I'll update when I get a chance to take them for a spin.

The October 2019 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a good review of these boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wore them for my short, 4 mile and 10 minute, ride to work today. Just getting them on and off was already easier than when I initially pulled them out of the box.

The soles are lower and flatter than my previous boots so if you're barely able to flat foot wearing taller boots these will bring you closer to barefoot level. Grip is just fine on the ground and pegs, will have to wait when it rains.

You can definitely feel the ankle protection working as it's stiffer and requires a bit more work or getting used to in order to manipulate the foot for shifting. It isn't bad, just requires me to get used to it. Although I feel the shifter less, the shifts are more positive if that makes sense as there's more material between my foot and the shifter to click things into gear.

Today wasn't all that warm so the boot felt fine temperature wise so I can't comment too much on comfort on that aspect. Still very happy with them.

Boots came in Sunday. Todays first day I've had to put them on. Nice feel, firm but not like my high boots. As I sit here waiting to go to work. The are warm. Well made, look like a boot that will last with proper maintenance/cleaning. The look is more like a sport shoe or boot.

Boots came in Sunday. Todays first day I've had to put them on. Nice feel, firm but not like my high boots. As I sit here waiting to go to work. The are warm. Well made, look like a boot that will last with proper maintenance/cleaning. The look is more like a sport shoe or boot.

My regular non-riding boot size is 11 to 11.5. I generally do not need wide boots. I purchased the EU46/US12. The fit is comfortable in the width, with a little extra room in the toe. The boot fits firm, doesn't slip forward or backward with good ankle support.

The boots worked nicely on this mornings commute. Flexible enough to operate the shift/break level. Material is thin enough I can fell the pressure of the shift level on the top of the boot, and the break level though the sole. No noticeable force needed to overcome the rigidity of the boot. This mornings ride was cool, 51 degrees. These boots feel a little drafty to me. Perhaps warmer socks might allow for extended rides at these temperatures. However, with the remaining width available, using thicker wool like socks, may become uncomfortable.

Wanted to update my review. After about a year and a half of use. The quality is still there and I mostly like them.

Comfort from 40's up to the high 90's is there depending on what socks you wear on my faired motorcycle. My main gripe are the soles. They're not tall so even my flip flops and Converse are taller, which makes a shorter guy like me have issues when the ground isn't level. Also, the soles are slippery when wet. I'm not blaming my equipment for dropping my bike this week but they sure didn't help!

I'll keep wearing these for commuting around town where I'm used to our flat and dry terrain but I'm now looking for a pair with better soles.

I wear Oxtar Matrix boots. The Oxtar name changed to TCX a while back but it appears the quality is still there. I have nothing to compare to as these are the only boots I've ever worn. Temps as low at 30 and as high as 115 don't phase them (my feet get cold and my feet get hot). I've stood in 3" of water to fuel my bike and ridden in rain storms that would drown a frog and never had my feet get wet. I liked the boots so much I bought a second pair when I heard they were being discontinued, and after 125K+ miles of riding I'm still on my first pair. The soles have become a bit slick, so like Jesse I have to be careful where I put my feet down, but other than that I have no complaints.

When / if these ever wear out I'll be purchasing a TCX boot.

Wanted to update my review. After about a year and a half of use. The quality is still there and I mostly like them.

Comfort from 40's up to the high 90's is there depending on what socks you wear on my faired motorcycle. My main gripe are the soles. They're not tall so even my flip flops and Converse are taller, which makes a shorter guy like me have issues when the ground isn't level. Also, the soles are slippery when wet. I'm not blaming my equipment for dropping my bike this week but they sure didn't help!

I'll keep wearing these for commuting around town where I'm used to our flat and dry terrain but I'm now looking for a pair with better soles.
I saw these Bates Taser boots pop up for sale a few months ago and they had my size so I bought them to try out. I like them so far. They are comfortable to ride and walk around in. They still have size 9 available in grey.

Back