• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tech Day in Rendon 6/7/08 (DFW area)

Now people are going to think that is Wayne... a scary thought... :brainsnap :lol2:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I didn't see that until Wayne posted up... That is way too awesome. John is right, I am very metro-sexual, and not a redneck!!!;-)
Now you'd have been a redneck if that can had been Miller Lite or Coors Lite...or maybe Miller High Life, the champagne of beers! :lol2:

Mike, it looks like I'll be in your area tomorrow evening sometime. Are you by chance going to be home?

Mike, it looks like I'll be in your area tomorrow evening sometime. Are you by chance going to be home?

If you go, can you pick up my drill? I'll get it (and maybe the chain kit) from you this weekend...

I just wanted to take a minute and repeat how much Beth and I enjoyed having everyone here. A year is a long way off to make plans, but we're looking at a weekend in mid May next year to do it again.

I wish that I'd had a little more time to get around and visit a bit more. Next year I have a menu in mind that will take almost no time on "game day" and should still be pretty good.

In the mean time, if someone needs to finish up a little work we could probably do a micro mini tech day once in a while. It takes a bit of coordination because for the next 14 months or so I'm still a drilling guardsman and loose one weekend a month but it's doable.

Everybody was a big help. Our clean up was pretty much changing two trash bags and putting a few things back in their normal place. No cleaning at all really. Never had a party like that!

I was very pleased at the number of women motorcyclists that were present. Nice to see the gals have fun too! I also enjoyed the cross section of bikes. from cruisers to full on sport bikes to scooters with four wheels. That's pretty diverse!

Wayne, that is a fetching avatar but somehow, I just don't think it's you. Ryan, I thought we talked about the bikini thing...I'm just not thinking it will work & Sharkey, I'm thinkin' the same thing about the speedo. I'm particurally pleased that hilljack showed up or we would have had a bike event without a Harley. There had to be some American iron here somewhere. We couldn't' let the Italians and the Austrians make all the noise! Well...the Japanese ZRX does OK in that department too. Everyone that took pictures needs to check the white balance on your cameras. They make me look like I have no hair in the back! And Chuck, thanks for your help, but your last post made it look like everyone was in a hurry to get out of here. You'd have thought the place was on fire or something!

We'll see y'all on the road,
Mike & Beth

It was the first event I have attended

Aw, rats! Sorry I missed you - I think you must be the tall fella in the gray shirt? At least you are in a photo...

As Mike mentioned, one of the things I like about this group is the variety of bikes that folks ride. You can see just about anything sooner or later.

Next time... :trust:

And Chuck, thanks for your help, but your last post made it look like everyone was in a hurry to get out of here. You'd have thought the place was on fire or something!

:lol2: yes, but those pictures took place over a 6 hour time span! :-P

mbrew said:
Wayne, that is a fetching avatar but somehow, I just don't think it's you.

I know it's not really me, but I just had to spread that lovely pic as far around the forum as possible. Making it my avatar is the best way to get maximum exposure. :lol2:

mbrew said:
We couldn't' let the Italians and the Austrians make all the noise! Well...the Japanese ZRX does OK in that department too.

Just to update everybody, the ZRX is continuing to improve. I headed out on it Sunday evening, and got about 5 miles down the road and it began to surge and stumble very badly. I pulled over to do a quick inspection and immediately noticed that 2 of the carb clamps (not the filter clamps, but the actual carb clamps) were loose. They were the 2 on the side I was working on. John got his side all snugged down, but I got distracted and forgot to tighten them down. :doh:

I tightened up the clamps, gave everything a quick once over, and headed out again. The surge came before at about 5k rpms and only on steady throttle, so I took up to speed again and cruised steady, and she was smooth as glass. So of course, I had to whack it open. Yeehaw! The Rex is pullin' like a freight train!!

All went well for awhile, but after I rode for about 30 minutes, the surge come back, and it was worse than before. It was smooth and strong on open throttle, and still pulled very hard, but on steady throttle, it surged and stuttered so bad that it couldn't hold a steady speed. I made a bee line for the house to do some ZRXOA research and start tinkering with the carbs again. :(

What my research told me was that I need to raise the needles 1/2 to 1 full notch - in other words, move the clip towards the sharp end of the needle. To do a 1/2 notch, you put one of the 2 washers under the clip and the other on top. 2 washers = 1 notch on the needle. I decided to go with 1/2 notch, and give it a test. I took it out again this evening, and so far things seem promising. The bike ran great and didn't surge at all. I didn't have time to go for an extended ride, but I think I may be getting it close to dialed in.

If you go, can you pick up my drill? I'll get it (and maybe the chain kit) from you this weekend...

Ahh, the missing chain kit. What would it take to snag that little beauty from you for a couple days, Chuck? Pie? Ice Cream? Milk Shake? I can make arrangements for whatever your heart desires. :trust:

Did the sandpaper bushing work on Michelle's GPS mount?

Dan,
There wasn't enough clearance to get the sandpaper beside the post.
Didn't have any "plastic" shim stock with me either...........

I know it's not really me, but I just had to spread that lovely pic as far around the forum as possible. Making it my avatar is the best way to get maximum exposure. :lol2:

Just to update everybody, the ZRX is continuing to improve. I headed out on it Sunday evening, and got about 5 miles down the road and it began to surge and stumble very badly. I pulled over to do a quick inspection and immediately noticed that 2 of the carb clamps (not the filter clamps, but the actual carb clamps) were loose. They were the 2 on the side I was working on. John got his side all snugged down, but I got distracted and forgot to tighten them down. :doh:

I tightened up the clamps, gave everything a quick once over, and headed out again. The surge came before at about 5k rpms and only on steady throttle, so I took up to speed again and cruised steady, and she was smooth as glass. So of course, I had to whack it open. Yeehaw! The Rex is pullin' like a freight train!!

All went well for awhile, but after I rode for about 30 minutes, the surge come back, and it was worse than before. It was smooth and strong on open throttle, and still pulled very hard, but on steady throttle, it surged and stuttered so bad that it couldn't hold a steady speed. I made a bee line for the house to do some ZRXOA research and start tinkering with the carbs again. :(

What my research told me was that I need to raise the needles 1/2 to 1 full notch - in other words, move the clip towards the sharp end of the needle. To do a 1/2 notch, you put one of the 2 washers under the clip and the other on top. 2 washers = 1 notch on the needle. I decided to go with 1/2 notch, and give it a test. I took it out again this evening, and so far things seem promising. The bike ran great and didn't surge at all. I didn't have time to go for an extended ride, but I think I may be getting it close to dialed in.

Let me know if you need a hand with any further tinkering. Did you put on some vent hoses to route away from the carbs or are you just leaving it "open-topped" for now?

Picked up some rubber hose this evening. I should have them on tomorrow. I forget to get zipties. :argh:

I just wanted to say thanks to Mike and Beth for hosting this event. I had a great time in getting to know Vicky (my V-Strom) a little better too. She let me undress her without any complaints...:mrgreen:

Thanks to Chuck and Ryan for giving me a helping hand here and there. That was the best part, the knowledge and level of expertise that everyone brings to such an event, and the willingness to help out...:thumb:

Oh and the food was great too. I never went hungry, that's for sure...:eat:

Now Vicky and I are grinning from ear to ear as we ride down the road. Well...Vicky from her new flushmount turnsignal to her other new flushmount turnsignal...:rider:

Picked up some rubber hose this evening. I should have them on tomorrow. I forget to get zipties. :argh:

I've got hose clamps that should fit if you want something a bit more substantial than zip-ties.

Ahh, the missing chain kit. What would it take to snag that little beauty from you for a couple days, Chuck? Pie? Ice Cream? Milk Shake? I can make arrangements for whatever your heart desires. :trust:

Man, I look at that avatar and say "What are you talking about, Bill? You HAVE the chain kit!" But it's Wayne... :doh:

I think Bill was going to use it this week but it is yours for use as soon as he is done with it...

I just wanted to say thanks to Mike and Beth for hosting this event. I had a great time in getting to know Vicky (my V-Strom) a little better too. She let me undress her without any complaints...:mrgreen:

Now Vicky and I are grinning from ear to ear as we ride down the road. Well...Vicky from her new flushmount turnsignal to her other new flushmount turnsignal...:rider:
:rofl:
Glad I'm not the only one that anthropomorphizes their bike(s). :mrgreen:

It was good to see you again!

Yep, I'm missing that one. Don't think that you have to rush over here though. Anytime you're up this way will be fine. If we're not here it'll be fine on the front porch. How'd the bike start this morning?

I'm also missing two snap on extensions and a 17mm socket. None of which is the end of the world....I have spares:mrgreen:, but if you see them in your stuff I'd take them back!

I have also found these items:
20080608Techdaylostandfound.jpg

I think the ratchet is Bills, the jack stands and drill Chuck's maybe? The wire strippers and screwdriver might actually be mine but I'm not sure. The cleaning rags were with the shop towels and hand cleaner that was brought over, but I have plenty if whoever brought them needs them, and lastly, the aforementioned black chair.

I see it didn't take long for Ron to sign up. Nice avatar. I have some pics that you may like from your last homecoming. I just need to find time to process them.

G'day,
Mike

I think the wire stripper/crimper is mine. Marty was using it to wire Hannah's new turn signals. Seems the electrical problems on Pyro boiled (burned?) down to two bad brake light switches. No biggies.

One cannot blow out a gas fire. Blowing just adds oxygen, causing a more intense burn. One cannot beat out a gas fire. That just splashes the fuel around exposing more of it to the oxygen in the atmosphere. One must be wary of using a fire extinguisher on a gas fire because the fire extinguisher blast often splatters burning gasoline, which will really ruin the day for whomever the burning fuel lands on. There are two ways to out a gas fire. The first is to remove the fuel (turn the petcock off and toss the tank in the yard). The second is to smother the flames by covering them up, thus taking away the supply of oxygen a fire needs to exist. The best way to do this is fire retardent foam. Unfortunately, mere mortals can't buy the stuff. Best we can do is shove rags down on the fire and leave them there. Mike, that is why the fire wouldn't go out for you--you kept lifting the rags and allowing oxygen to reach the hot zone again. If the rags themselves catch fire, they will have soaked up much of the gasoline and reduce or prevent the fuel from splattering when hit with a fire extinguisher.

Oh, the stories in the frame tunnel of T-dub's gas tank. Mud from the Ozarks mixed with dust from southwest texas covered in Pyro soot. We should all be blessed with such an exciting life!

One cannot blow out a gas fire. Blowing just adds oxygen, causing a more intense burn. One cannot beat out a gas fire. That just splashes the fuel around exposing more of it to the oxygen in the atmosphere. One must be wary of using a fire extinguisher on a gas fire because the fire extinguisher blast often splatters burning gasoline, which will really ruin the day for whomever the burning fuel lands on. There are two ways to out a gas fire. The first is to remove the fuel (turn the petcock off and toss the tank in the yard). The second is to smother the flames by covering them up, thus taking away the supply of oxygen a fire needs to exist. The best way to do this is fire retardent foam. Unfortunately, mere mortals can't buy the stuff. Best we can do is shove rags down on the fire and leave them there. Mike, that is why the fire wouldn't go out for you--you kept lifting the rags and allowing oxygen to reach the hot zone again. If the rags themselves catch fire, they will have soaked up much of the gasoline and reduce or prevent the fuel from splattering when hit with a fire extinguisher.

Go figure... our way on the other end of the garage was just to no light the stuff on fire in the first place.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One cannot blow out a gas fire. Blowing just adds oxygen, causing a more intense burn.

Actually, it did work with two of us blowing. The O2 content is less in exhaled air and you disconnect the flame from the fuel, stifling the process.

Pacman... I think your new avatar is justifable considering the comments DFW Warrior made regarding your Rex...Turnabout being fair play and all...

Pacman... I think your new avatar is justifable considering the comments DFW Warrior made regarding your Rex...Turnabout being fair play and all...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, it did work with two of us blowing. The O2 content is less in exhaled air and you disconnect the flame from the fuel, stifling the process.

No it did NOT. Why??? Because Ken said so, and that should be enough.:lol2:

By stumbling and surging, do you mean like missing because that is what my Connie does. It runs good under throttle,but, at any constant speed, it is like it is missing.

Ron

Back