• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tell us about your Embarrasing Bike Moments...

txmedic said:
I could tell ya'll about the time I screwed up this ride I organized....

laugh.jpg

I had just gotten my bike few months ealier and I was showing it off to some co workers.So i was like wana hear it run?So exciting me hits the button,well darn it I hit the horn and it let out a loud long honk.course they all laugh at me cuz they know I hit the wrong button.

Howdy,

:tab Well I had a moment just this evening... Deb was helping me swap tires on the GS. I was removing the knobbies and remounting the street tires. When I went to remount the front rim to the bike, I realized I had mounted the tire on the rim backwards :oops: It was only Deb there and she has seen me do far dumber things... Still, I have changed so many tires it is ridiculous and this is the first time I have ever done this. So we had to break the bead, pull the tire, remount it, blah blah blah... It didn't take long. So now I am ready for the Pie Run!!

Adios,

I’m on a trip in Colorado this past June. In one day my bike is on it’s side 3 times.

Location of 1st fall - pic 1

Group at 1st fall - pic 2

We have pulled over to admire the view & take pics. We notice a line of cars coming including a rig so we hastily mount up to try & beat them. I am in the back & don’t give it enough gas & fall over in the gravel. Luckily some of my group see this & turns around to come to my rescue. The rest of the group is oblivious to what happen. They finally pull over to wait for us & the rig goes by w/ a gesture showing his hand up & then down. Scott has visions of a bike going over a cliff. :eek: The bike is fine thanks to my engine guards but my ego is a little bruised. :oops: We pass Scott who has turned around & give him a thumbs up.

Location of 2nd fall

My second fall comes when we pull off to look at one of those bulletins w/ info about our whereabouts. I get off the bike to check things out. I’m very careful that the bike is sturdy & the kickstand is in place. Since I lowered the GS the kickstand is too long & I have to be careful where I park. I walk away from the bike & down it goes. Unfortunately I had left the bike in neutral & it started to roll. Let’s just say I had a few choice words. :miffed: :mad: My clutch lever has broken off but luckily I have brought a spare.

Last fall

And my finally, we have pulled over at another lookout. Again, I am careful that the kickstand is secure & in neutral this time. We are enjoying the beautiful view & after about 10 minutes or so the bike just falls over. Scott just happens to be take a pic right when this happens. This time it lands on the left side & just breaks the end of the brake lever off. I just laugh at that fall & go on. :rofl Right before the trip, I had talked to a welding about that darn kickstand but we couldn’t ever get together in time.

And now you know better than to park in nuetral... ;-)

Adios,

i probably should not disclose this but....
this past summer: new sv650s riding with a group of guys i didn't really know that well. stop at a gas station, when pulling out of the parking lot a truck pulls kind of in front of me, i turn the bars and down she goes. ok, that's not too bad, happens to everyone a couple times in a lifetime. so, and hour or so later, we get to a restaurant for lunch, they have those little metal things you put under your kickstand to keep from digging into the asphault. i slide it under, put the kickstand down and as i'm getting off the bike, the little metal things slides out and down she goes AGAIN. i must be the only person to drop a bike twice in one day. no damage (thanks to nate's moto-sliders). later the same day, i somehow pick up a wasp in my riding jacket and stung the crap out of me needless to say, i haven't been invited back for another ride with this group.

gw.

Well, my moment came today on the way home from Hico (is that Hy-co or Hee-co?).

I had spent all my effort trying to make sure that I was with the group getting there that I neglected to make sure I had connections with a group going back. So, after Squeak & I swapped & tested seats, I found that most folks had already left. Well, OK, I was going to try the more direct route anyway. So, I looked at my wimpy printed-out map and tried to memorize a couple of towns so I could look for signs (the map had one or two roads labelled).

I took out toward Stephenville & spotted an FM on the way to Duffau but I was worried that I might be headed back to Hico rather than away from it.
So, I stop in the road in a long straight, watching for traffic (wasn't any).

Well, the road was crowned, and when I put my right foot down, the bike leaned and I couldn't get enough leverage to stop it from going over, so down it went into the grass.

One attempt at trying to upright it in this position, I pulled it so the nose is pointed downhill. Two tries nothing - then I try a slightly different lift and get some better leveage - it comes upright. Not, however, before I felt the wrench in my back.

This is where I learned just how "right-handed" I am - I was holding the bike on the right-hand side & couldn't for the life of me get my left leg over the back without feeling I was going to lose my balance. Well, I lost it anyway & down the bike goes again.

So, I am standing there fuming and a friendly local drives up in a pickup. He helps me get the bike upright and I drive it up and park it on the asphalt.

Damage - right front turn signal (dangling), bent bar end, bent/broke right brake lever, rotated throttle/mirror assembly, ego.

Sigh. (heating pad applied)

Further embarrassment - I found the more detailed printed map in the pie box - I used it and a rain poncho to "pack" the pie for the ride home.

On that map, I found that I went the wrong way - should have taken 6 through town and used 220 to Glen Rose. Went about 2.5 times the distance instead...

However, the packing worked & the pie was delivered safely to the folks at home, even though it was strapped onto the bike when I dumped it twice...

sheeesh

Last night.

I am setting on my Tiger, admiring my garage, thinking about what a kool-studly-keen dude I am and I slide off of the seat.

And the suspension unloads, and the Tiger pitches over, and tosses me into the wife’s new Sabre, which also goes down and who’s handlebar gouges out a big chunk of the seat of the wife’s old bike, which happily, did not fall over.

At which point, I scream like a girl and go drag the wife out of bed and tell her that I just destroyed the known universe and I can’t get up.

We got the bikes back up. Mine, broken mirror. Her’s. a tiny scratch on a side panel. The old bike got the seat torn up.

Every thing’s mostly OK. I rode the Tiger about 6 miles and it was it’s usual gnarly self.

I was in the dog house all day. She was really, somewhat kool about it all.

Yeah, alcohol was involved….

Gilk51 said:
Further embarrassment - I found the more detailed printed map in the pie box - I used it and a rain poncho to "pack" the pie for the ride home.

On that map, I found that I went the wrong way - should have taken 6 through town and used 220 to Glen Rose. Went about 2.5 times the distance instead...

However, the packing worked & the pie was delivered safely to the folks at home, even though it was strapped onto the bike when I dumped it twice...

sheeesh

**** Gilk, and I wanted to meet you and the rest of the gang.
Fix the bike and you can show us all how to pack a pie next time.

My dumbest moment happened when I rode my KZ1000 into a Cadillac on Lake Dr in Milwaukee. 1978 I beleive. (I'm old, what's it to ya)
I was smiling at myself in the freshly waxed tank....idiot !
Survived with 1 perma-scar, and had to pay for the Caddy.
Bike wasted, scrap.

**** Gilk, and I wanted to meet you and the rest of the gang.
Yeah, there were a lot of folks I didn't get to meet - I was too busy thawing out and gabbing with the good folks at my table at the KK.

show us all how to pack a pie next time.
Should I mention that I just had a piece of the pecan pie I brought home?
MMMMmmmmm. MMMmmmm. MMMMmmmm... :-D

Makes yesterday's mishaps seem better...
(to top it off - my new tank bag broke both zippers early on & I had to lash it shut) :-(

But the pie cures all... :roll:

Had a brand new Triumph Speed Triple with paper tags one New Years day. Decided I'd jump on it to return a DVD (yes, that long ago). Dropped off the DVD and thought I'd swing through the marina. Great fun. Decided to swing by another one and so and so on. Eventually I was 100 miles from home when my fuel light came on so I headed for a gas station. Once I got there I realized I never grabbed my wallet when I left the house. No cards and no cash.

Have you ever been in a gas station when someone comes up and asks for $5 so they can put some gas in their car and you thought 'yeah, right'. Well I was that guy. Very demoralizing.

I now have a $20 bill tucked in each of my bikes.

On a trip to Big Bend in 2012, my buddy & I left Alpine headed south to Terlingua on 118. Somewhere along the way, I stopped to take some pictures of the Chisos off in the distance & I could've sworn I put the side stand down. Walked away from the bike only to hear a crunch behind me. Turned around to see the mighty K was taking an asphalt nap. :tears:

I was pretty young...probably in fourth or fifth grade. I went riding and camping with my dad, his buddy, and his buddy is son and a friend who were a couple of years older than me. I had an XR100 that my dad told me not to ride unless he was around.

My dad and his friend went out for a trail ride and I stayed back in camp with the other kids. They goaded me I think riding my bike around camp a bit. I strapped my helmet on and kicked it to life. I made a couple of circles around the camp site before I got squirrely in some sand. The back end slid out on me and I slammed right into the rear bumper of my dad’s friends truck. His son showed me the damage I did and said his dad was gonna be mad because he “loves his chrome”.

I fessed up when they got back. It turns out the “damage” was just where the natural wrinkling in the metal where the bumper curved around at the corner and I hadn’t actually done anything at all. That was one of the very few times I’ve caved to peer pressure in my life, and it taught me a valuable lesson.

Also, after riding since I was two I finally decided I wanted to race when I was in seventh grade. My dad signed me up for the last TCCRA race of the season to make sure I liked it before doing the full season the next year. I lined up in my old KDX 200, they waved the green flag, and I immediately looked the heck out of it. It was a total over the back, break the rear fender, bike falling on top of me scene. I picked it up and went on with the race, but I felt like a complete moron.

I fessed up when they got back.

I bet you got in a LOT less trouble after fessing up than you would have if you'd tried to lie about it :-P I did not take me too long to learn that lesson with my folks.

I'd started riding again after a thirty something year hiatus. There'd been some bike thefts around my work where they'd picked the bike up and thrown it in the back of a truck. Being the smart guy, I started locking my bike with a cable around the swing arm and a metal exterior staircase.
So, there's a reason they say don't ride distracted. After a long crazy day of work. I strolled out, geared up, fired up the bike and rode off .... About three feet, before reaching the end of the cable like the cartoon where the dog on a chain runs out and reached the end. That weird, funny feeling when you simultaneously say "what the heck" and "doh!!" Lucky for me, the new security cameras I'd installed the week before captured it all.

College ...
Loved to wheelie ...
Cute girls ...
Seat came unlatched ...
Wheelie ended badly ...
Girls didn't notice ...

Don't wheelie much any more.

When I think of embarrassing moments this is the one that I think of although it didn't happen to anyone I know.

DRUNK HARLEY RIDER - happened when I was very young and stupid. My cousin and I were out on our Kawasaki Z1's bar hoping. But we weren't completely toasted. As we were coming up too a red light, we could see a Bandito ahead of us, we could tell he was a Bandito by his jacket. He was on a Harley and stopping as well. As he stopped, he forgot to put his foot down. Bam, down onto the pavement. As we pulled up, he had gotten off to pick up his bike. "You need a hand, man?" ... "No!" Okay, then. Later at the IHOP we stopped at, he pulls into a parking space, forgets to stop, drives through the surrounding shrubbery hits the side of the restaurant with a thud, falls into the bushes, gets off and leaves his bike just laying there. He comes in and gets himself a table and some coffee. We left before he did!

EL CENTRO CRASH - There's a flaw in the mapping on my KTM 990 Adventure. Every now and then the secondary butterflies slam shut for a split second, under certain conditions. Usually after running it to warm, stopping for a short while, then getting back on again. If your riding along, it has no real effect. But this time we had stopped in a town in Peru, but not really sure where. We wanted lunch, and there was a market. There was some celebration going on, all the stores and restaurants were closed. But there were hundreds, may be thousands of people in the central court, on the streets, everywhere. With everyone watching, because of our huge bikes and us being tall gringos, I cranked up the KTM to pull a U-Turn and head out to the next town. As everyone knows, if you lose power on a slow banked turn, you are going down. No if, ands, or buts. I planted that bike right there in the middle of the court, with hundreds of people watching. It was funny, no one came over although there were probably 15 people within 10 feet. It was like it was part of the entertainment package. My buddy got off his bike and I struggled to get out from under mine. Eventually we got back on the road again, but I was surprised by their reaction and somewhat embarrassed that I interrupted their festival.

If you ride long enough you will always have a bunch of embarrassing stories.

I make it a point never to drink and drive. Things happen too fast and I don't need any encouragement. So I'm riding with some buds around Leakey and they want to stop for a beer at a roadside park - they had beer iced down in the saddlebags. I'm looking around and next to the park is a stream that looks about 18" deep at the max. Off I go unknowing this was the Frio River. When my bike quit the water was over the gas tank. Took forever go get it dried out enough to get to town and change the oil.

Mike P

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back