• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Testing of linking images from SmugMug

The forum software does not recognize the link as an image because it does not end with ".jpg". So it thinks it is a regular URL and is trying to wrap the link with a URL tag.

If you are using SmugMug, there should be a share option for forums that already has the [img] tags included. All you need to do is cut and past that link.

If you are using SmugMug, there should be a share option for forums that already has the [img] tags included. All you need to do is cut and past that link.

I take that back. It would seem that SmugMug has changed things :roll: From what I can tell, they now force you to link back to their website to view an image or share it to either Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ (which will then upload the images to their site). I guess this is to prevent hot linking images hosted on SmugMug, which uses up their bandwidth without people coming to their site. It is basically the same thing Photobucket was dealing with when they disabled their user's ability to link to their images. IF you are able to use the links above on AdvRider, that is probably because they also own SmugMug and have altered the Xenforo code to accept links from SmugMug and display them in posts as you would normally expect, or they have setup SmugMug to specifically allow hot linking from AdvRider. If that is the case, then there is pretty much nothing I can do to change that.

If you have the images on your computer hard drive or on your phone, you can upload them directly to TWT as attachments. I think I have it set so you can up load something like 50 images per post.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I write all my ride reports in Word and then copy and paste them in the forum.

I have a 15 day ride report ready to post.

Dang! I hate to hear that. It's not something I have any control over, so I can't do anything about it. I would complain to Smugmug. They used to provide the IMG link for users so they could easily share images in forums. I guess they ended that :shrug: It is a shame too. Once you put them in a post here, they would automatically be converted to attachments and from that point on, they would be stored on my server and SmugMug would never see a hit on their bandwidth from them again from people viewing them here.

About the only thing I can think of for you to post it here is to cut/paste like you normally would, but then you would have to upload the individual images as attachments. IF you put the cursor in the post where you want the image to appear, upload it, then hit "full image", it will put the image at that point in your post. So you could just go through the text inserting images as you go.

You might shoot Woodbutcher a quick note. He uses SmugMug and might have a better solution for you.

@WoodButcher

I go to the image on Smugmug and hit the share button. I click the BBcode tab and select a size (long edge around 1024) then copy the link and paste that in the ride report/post/word document. The BBcode link is nice in that it puts the picture in the post, but also embeds the link to the image. That way people can click on the image and go view it on SM full sized.

As far as sharing to other sites, I just use the SM phone app and share to Facebook and Instagram from it. It seems to be faster than web based sharing. Unless I want the ability to make the image disappear from FB, in which case I post a regular image link from Smugmug. That way it dies on FB if I remove the image from SM.

So far Flickr is still working and still free, as long as you don't have more than 1000 images stored under your account. You could always try them instead.

I go to the image on Smugmug and hit the share button. I click the BBcode tab and select a size

That option did not show up when I went to his SM account and hit share. Maybe it only shows up for registered users? Odd, that it would still let me pick FB, Twitter, and G+ :ponder:

Correct, you must be logged in to see the BBcode share option. The social share is a different option on the share. The BBcode shows in the Photo tab of sharing.

Richard,

Does this solve your problem?

How are you adding the BBcode? I just use it direct when I paste into a post. It needs no extra wrapper around it. I see what looks like incomplete url tags. Like maybe you lost a character when you copy and pasted. Or used the insert URL button in a post.

For your second image, I see the following:

[url=https://simmons1962.smugmug.com/Bonus-Pie-Run-2019/i-GNMrCQS/A][ATTACH type="full" alt="235936"]235936[/ATTACH][/url[/URL] so that second to the last /url is missing a trailing ] and the last /url with [ ] is redundant and getting displayed.

It should look like this when you paste it in:

[ATTACH=full]235954[/ATTACH]

That's just straight copy and paste from the BBcode for a extra large image. The url tag part is the link to the original photo and the img tags are the actual photo link.

Whoa! That looked perfect, even when I previewed. I was using the code tags so it shouldn't have interpreted what was inside the tags. However, what I quoted from your post is good, but mine got totally modified. What I posted was something I'd posted to the forum before and the forum software changed it to show the previous image using the Attach tag. Very curious. Here's what it should have shown in the previous post, but I'm using {} instead of [ ].

{url=https://www.sammyersphotography.com/2018-Picture-a-Week/n-4FbKm6/i-fqzRwgQ/A}{img}https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fqzRwgQ/1/24149f97/XL/i-fqzRwgQ-XL.jpg{/img}{/url}

So part of the issue may be testing with images that have already been posted and the forum is inserting/replacing with Attach tags.

I want to try this.

Texas%20Rooster.jpg

Silly picture

Whoa! That looked perfect, even when I previewed. I was using the code tags so it shouldn't have interpreted what was inside the tags. However, what I quoted from your post is good, but mine got totally modified. What I posted was something I'd posted to the forum before and the forum software changed it to show the previous image using the Attach tag. Very curious. Here's what it should have shown in the previous post, but I'm using {} instead of [ ].

{url=https://www.sammyersphotography.com/2018-Picture-a-Week/n-4FbKm6/i-fqzRwgQ/A}{img}https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fqzRwgQ/1/24149f97/XL/i-fqzRwgQ-XL.jpg{/img}{/url}

So part of the issue may be testing with images that have already been posted and the forum is inserting/replacing with Attach tags.
I'm copying the code straight out of Smugmug. The only thing I'm doing that's probably different is that I paste it into Word while I am putting my trip report together. I then copy and paste from Word into the forum.

I have been doing all my ride reports this way for years and years. This never happened with the old Forum software.

Just Figured it out.

Office 365 tries to automatically make a hyperlink of the BBCode. The Forum software doesn't like that. I just learned how undo that in the Word file and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Back