• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Texas Adventure Ride: Cancelled due to weather

Re: Texas Adventure Ride: May 3-6, 2018

OK, so I'm debating on what bike to take. So it would help if I knew what everyone else is riding, so give it up folks... what are you ride'n?

I've dropped all of my big bikes with my leg cushioning the bike from damage. Attempting to ride my Bandit on a gravel road while it was being graded put a crack in my fifth lateral that took awhile to heal.

I needed help getting my Tenere off my boot several times in the Terlingua Ranch. The third time I found out why soft luggage is far superior.

The RT has asphalt gouges on both, no longer pristine, panniers.

At Bill Draggo's sand course I hammered both KLR panels trying multiple bonzii attempts to stay upright. My last attempt was good enough to have Bill say, "are you alright' as I picked my head off the sand. My ribs hurt for two months.

I'm assuming there will be multiple wet, greasy water crossings.

So I'm considering riding my KLX 250 since it will be easier to pick up. Perhaps there will be a tiddler group.

Last edited:

Hey gang, I’m not able to make the Rally. I just cancelled my double bed reservations at the Best Western in Junction. Someone call them and jump on it if you still need a room. Remember to mention TARA and Rich Gibbens.
Sorry I will miss the event. Y’all have fun.

Mark

My son and I will be joining on Friday evening thru the weekend. I think we are going to attempt packing our camping gear and staying in the outdoors. We are going to use it as a shake down run for our NMBDR in June. So we can see what we really need or what can be left behind.

My son and I will be joining on Friday evening thru the weekend. I think we are going to attempt packing our camping gear and staying in the outdoors. We are going to use it as a shake down run for our NMBDR in June. So we can see what we really need or what can be left behind.

Hi Loren, there is a Good Sam campground 1/4 mile from the Best Western Hotel, Gina and I have stayed there and will again, http://www.junctionnorthllanoriverrvpark.com/home.html. There is a city park in Junction that offers free camping, I have not tried it, https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds-details/30499.htm#details.

Last edited:

Loren,
The South Llano River State Park is also a nice option, and one I might stay at if I can make it for the wknd:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/south-llano-river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I just found out that my Daugter's school is having a celebration party for its 10 best students on the 3rd May, so we (my wife & I) have to attend that, should finish by 10:00pm, then a 5 hour drive to Junction, so we will arrive at the hotel around 3:00am on the friday, so still hope to join the breakfast and ride with everyone friday & saturday, we just might be a bit sleepy Friday!! ;-)

Gary

Thanks for camping info. I have been to the state park a few times. As long as I can take a shower somewhere I’ll be good.

Anyone elses Thursday night at Best Western come up as 109.95? Fri and Sat show 77.00.

Anyone elses Thursday night at Best Western come up as 109.95? Fri and Sat show 77.00.

Please call the hotel and ask for the rally rate.

Online reservations showing full for the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online reservations show the hotel full because we have booked the hotel for the rally. You can't make an online reservation.

There are rooms available for rally attendees. You must call the hotel and tell them you are with the rally to get one of those rooms.

Riders,

A reminder - early registration ends next Wednesday, April 18th.

This year's commemorative item is a embroderied baseball cap. I will be ordering the caps on Thursday morning, April 19th to ensure enough time to receive them before the rally. The quantity is based on the # of people who register (I'm not a retail store so I don't order extras and keep them in stock).

Your early registration ensures you receive the hat.

If you register after April 18th I can not guarantee you will receive a hat.

The bottom line - register now if you are planning on attending and want to ensure that you received the hat.

Online reservations show the hotel full because we have booked the hotel for the rally. You can't make an online reservation.

There are rooms available for rally attendees. You must call the hotel and tell them you are with the rally to get one of those rooms.

Rich, I was talking about the state park, I guess I should have clarified

Got my room reserved, see you there

Sending registration by mail today

Will there be many bump gates on the provided routes? [emoji51]

Will there be many bump gates on the provided routes? [emoji51]

I'll let you open every one...

Added a new rider from the DFW area for this event

Will there be many bump gates on the provided routes?

This does bring up a related reminder for new TAR riders to (1) slow down through ranch property with houses that are cut by public roads and (2) to remember to stick to public roads and do not ride off road on private land. This event has had a great track record with only minor infractions of these rules but even minor transgressions on private land reflect poorly on the whole group. Transgressions involving property owners rarely happen but when they do they're memorable, I'll just put it that way.

Last edited:

This does bring up a related reminder for new TAR riders to (1) slow down through ranch property with houses that are cut by public roads and (2) to remember to stick to public roads and do not ride off road on private land. This event has had a great track record with only minor infractions of these rules but even minor transgressions on private land reflect poorly on the whole group. Transgressions involving property owners rarely happen but when they do they're memorable, I'll just put it that way.

Well said sir. Well said.

Back