• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Backways Adventure Trail

Hump

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Humphrey
Happened on this gpsKevin TexasBAT route. 2200 miles is a long loop. Anyone done this? Any input or advice would be appreciated.

1641413096314.jpeg

okay, so it appears to be the same loop being discussed in the DS section here, called Lone Star Loop

At a 10,000 level the trip looks pretty do'able. Probably better in late fall or early winter when the weather is cooler & drier.

I used the gpsKevin GPS tracks for the CDR last summer. We had a group of six people and two of us had the GPS+Route. We took 2 weeks to travel up and ride back (we did the ride portion of the trip north to south.). The GPS tracks are decent... but not absolute.

For a Texas trip like this and having limited vacation time I suspect most of us would ride it in a couple of sections. It would be interesting to gauge how much is pavement vs. dirt. On the CDR we found that we could ride 200-250 miles per day in mixed conditions. If I had the chance to do it again I would like to slow down some of the sections to see more of it.

This loop looks pretty interesting... I would like to tackle it. I think that my 790 Adv is up for it.

I'd be up for doing this route but I'd prefer more gravel and dirt roads than not. I'd be interested to hear how much of it is asphalt. Nine days seems like an awful long time for this but it is a big state lol. Anyone else curious?

2200 / 9 = 244.4 miles/day
Throw in time to find a campsite, fuel, Taco Cabana for breakfast, and a few Texas Classic BBQ joints and I think 9 days is reasonable.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that is not a verified track, and you will be riding up on a LOT of closed gates and private property. That happened to me last November while following a similar track out in East Texas.

Crazy he can get off selling an unverified track. I bet you're right though, nearly every time I try to venture out and explore via some route I throw together online, I find myself on private property or turned back by a locked gate, etc.

It says that the blue line is the main route, green is the easy route (guessing bypass route) and red route is for the difficult sections which must be very short and few and far between because they aren't noticeable in the map.

Crazy he can get off selling an unverified track. I bet you're right though, nearly every time I try to venture out and explore via some route I throw together online, I find myself on private property or turned back by a locked gate, etc.
Even if he'd ridden every step of the route it'd be hard to guarantee the thing for more a few weeks. So many backroads in Texas are being sold to private land owners. Locked gates show up every season in places we've ridden through for years. Yeah...it bites.

Even if he'd ridden every step of the route it'd be hard to guarantee the thing for more a few weeks. So many backroads in Texas are being sold to private land owners. Locked gates show up every season in places we've ridden through for years. Yeah...it bites.
Truth!

In the description on the website, he mentions the route being ‘unproven’. Also noted that the red sections have dirt segments while blue and green do not. I’m not the smartest kid on the block, but I looked at the routes for more than a minute and didn’t see any red lines, ONLY green and blue. Maybe I’m missing something.

I may get this and start with the Hill Country sections and report. There was a another I followed in 2018 the one not raining day and got stuck in private property. It was a barely two track keep road so I was on the exact track. We will see.
I’m curious. Where is barely 2 track? I may need to work that into a ride.

I recently rode the LSL section from Moscow east to IH 10. No problems. Time-wise, about half not paved. Likely changed since created. Great backroads. I’ve ridden some of the Hill Country section in the past 2 years at the Junction & Kerrville ADV rallies and independently.

Agreed that access & paving changes over time. Ride them while you can.

If someone is selling a track created by others, not cool.

@jsb that was a different track I was following I found here on TWT. I think it was the Texas 500 or something like that. It was off the dirt road between two of the Sisters.

Back