• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Dirty Map Project

This project is deader than a duck. And I am retiring from our game. Got other problems that need my full attention. Y'all have fun out there. It was fun but I'm just gonna go back to my roots and be an old Harley guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you been drinking today?

You will look funny at RTB on a yellow Harley.:lol2:

Is there anyone that worked closely with you that would be willing to take it on?

Are you ok with releasing at least the proven sections, if not the entire proposed route?

Hmph ! It was in my Contract to get the completed tracks, for helping with the Conformation!

Good Luck to you SOG!
I'm sure we will see you riding again soon, when you come to your senses .:trust:

Hmph ! It was in my Contract to get the completed tracks, for helping with the Conformation!

Good Luck to you SOG!
I'm sure we will see you riding again soon, when you come to your senses
.:trust:

May that be sooner rather than later...I pledge not to let this die. I will miss your sharp witt and inspiring riding style...not sure who I can find crazy enough to race me to the next horizon.....Charlie Mike my friend:chug:

SOG, you realize you have to clean a Harley, right? Not just rinse it passing g through a river, but polish and wax it too... Otherwise other Harley riders won't ride with you.
Either way, ride safe. It's been fun the few times I did get to ride with you. Hope to see you around.

I'm still planning my scouting expedition to Langtry this fall.

Last edited:
long ago and many times I had said I would ride it.
But it never happened.

Now that I have bought the DR back that I had at that time, would like to get this started back up on some riding... Seems no one has ridden it all yet. Parts, but not all.

I'll have to go back through the posts here and find any updated gpx files to have a look at.

well, don't get too excited yet.
I have to buy all the ATGAT again.

Going through the bike checking to make sure its ok.
Made a run to Bandera two weekends ago and spent night in Kerrville State Park.
Bike ran very well. Was pleased about that run.

Put off some rides I was going to make and just decided to stick to Tx. this year.

When I do go, I will be camping in state parks as much as I can.
I think I have an old version of the gpx. Will have a look at it and see how far it actually is to the closest state park along the tracks. This will not be a run to just to run it and say I had ran it.

Have get to a camera to replace one I lost.

Last edited:
This will not be a run to just to run it and say I had ran it.

Have get to a camera to replace one I lost.

Will it be a run to see the sights, and really take in the journey?

I care not about bragging rights, I just wanna see this from a dirtbike. And camp. And explore.

The last info I received from SlowOldGuy was 4/26/15...
I no longer have that.

does anyone have the last gpx files associated with this?
I could sure use them.

Have download all the gpx, gxb files I could find.
One KML is missing, unsure if it was relevant to the project.

I load the files to my sever and map them to see what is there.
Sometime in the near future. (2-3 days).

The last info I received from SlowOldGuy was 4/26/15...
I no longer have that.

does anyone have the last gpx files associated with this?
I could sure use them.

Have download all the gpx, gxb files I could find.
One KML is missing, unsure if it was relevant to the project.

I load the files to my sever and map them to see what is there.
Sometime in the near future. (2-3 days).

Yeah, I'd like to see this project get back on track. My 950 Super Enduro is getting closer to the way I want it. Just needs a bigger fuel tank and better seat, needs better lights too. Then I could make it farther than 120 miles (fuel limited). I've install a Reklus clutch and have the suspension sorted out. I'm in the process of loosing weight and getting back into off road riding shape so the 950 doesn't kick my A** ! ! ! If we all could contribute to this and then put all the trails together, I think it would be awesome.

I'd like to see the files too. I might try and get out to do some reconnaissance for this.

its getting late, eyes can't see the post any more.
I have been looking for post that had 4 gpx/gdb files.
They were listed from city to city in continuous order.

Have not been able to gather many gpx/gdb files from here to piece together what there was.

If the ones that took pictures could gave a close location to there, then I could post the pics on the map and figure out the route that was taken.

A lot to be done really. Would help a lot if had the gpx/gdb files everyone had emailed to slowoldguy.

Pre Texas Dirty Map Project

Only one set tracks that can really be called dirty and be related to the project.
one near tyler area was what Thrill-Billy and myself ran on two separate Tuesdays, just threw it on the map to see it.

the one northwest of Dallas is dirt.
Austin and west is pavement.
And we have one low water crossing at times shown up near red river.

Last edited:
its getting late, eyes can't see the post any more.
I have been looking for post that had 4 gpx/gdb files.
They were listed from city to city in continuous order.

Have not been able to gather many gpx/gdb files from here to piece together what there was.

If the ones that took pictures could gave a close location to there, then I could post the pics on the map and figure out the route that was taken.

A lot to be done really. Would help a lot if had the gpx/gdb files everyone had emailed to slowoldguy.

Pre Texas Dirty Map Project

Only one set tracks that can really be called dirty and be related to the project.
one near tyler area was what Thrill-Billy and myself ran on two separate Tuesdays, just threw it on the map to see it.

the one northwest of Dallas is dirt.
Austin and west is pavement.
And we have one low water crossing at times shown up near red river.

Based on the location of those 3 areas, Tom's original idea if Red to Rio dirt trails are going to take the long way around ! ! !

Based on the location of those 3 areas, Tom's original idea if Red to Rio dirt trails are going to take the long way around ! ! !

LOL, yep... I thought y'all like to ride...

I just threw that in there to have a look see at it.

Route should start at RRMT.
Although looking at their web site, it may not fit some riders to overnight there and start in morning. Looks like that place could get expensive for a one of night.

I'm putting together a route from South of Ft. Worth towards the hill country.

I think it's important for everyone to understand it really cannot be ALL dirt. That's impossible.

You're gonna hit a paved road or two, or ten, but I think the goal is to also incorporate ALL the dirt roads applicable.

We've talked some, and I think we both agree, WHY NOT have a map with a bunch of known dirt roads laid out. Look at the map, pick one you like, download the gpx. It's brilliant, really.

I'm putting together a route from South of Ft. Worth towards the hill country.

I think it's important for everyone to understand it really cannot be ALL dirt. That's impossible.

You're gonna hit a paved road or two, or ten, but I think the goal is to also incorporate ALL the dirt roads applicable.

We've talked some, and I think we both agree, WHY NOT have a map with a bunch of known dirt roads laid out. Look at the map, pick one you like, download the gpx. It's brilliant, really.

Yeah, there are a lot of folks out there that don't realize, most of Texas is paved, we've made it to the 21st century ! ! ! Your going to have to get on pavement to get to the next set of dirt back country roads and a lot of them are now being paved as well. Over 2/3 of the dirt roads I rode on as a kid are now paved..........and it sux. I do realize the home owners on those roads are happier because it cut down on the amount of dust in their home. I live on one of those old dirt roads that is now paved, so I know first hand ! ! !

... Route should start at RRMT.
Although looking at their web site, it may not fit some riders to overnight there and start in morning. Looks like that place could get expensive for a one of night.

Not far from there, Oak Shores at Lake Nocona is a great place to camp and is F R E E! No facilities there but it's only 14mi to town for supplies or to "eat out."

Back