• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Driver's License PSA

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Since we can't ride without a license, or shouldn't anyway, I thought it appropriate to share that the State has sent me a letter stating that I can't get a new driver's license without first showing either a birth certificate or current passport. I may also need to show my social security card. Apparently this reflects a change in Texas procedure in 2016 to become compliant with the 2005 Real ID act.

The last time I updated my license was a quick few minutes at the Columbus location.I'm expecting a siege this time. I stopped by the week before Christmas and they were sending people back to get paperwork. Normally I offer all my paperwork at once, but I may try to see if they will accept a Global Entry card as proof, since my passport is 120 miles away locked in a drawer at my office. If they ask, then I'll pull out the Birth Certificate.

Anyway, I'll report back with any additional insight that may make getting a license renewed easier.

m

Thanks for the heads up I've still got a few years till I renew(I think).
Not sure if I mind the state requesting more ID to update a license. If it actually helps curb illegal immigrants who use false credentials to get drivers licenses, good.
2005-2016 very efficient.

I'm going to renew today. Got my docs lined up and ready. Not looking forward to the lines of people at the DPS office. I went there early December and the parking lot was nearly empty. I'm giddy thinking I'll be in and out in no time. Walk inside the office and it's standing room only.:huh2: I leave.....

So what makes a TDL compliant with the Real ID act? Is it a gold star? I had to replace my lost TDL a year and a half ago, renewed it until 2024 at the same time. It has a gold star near the upper right corner, is it Real ID compliant?

Just put the chip/bar code in my arm and let's be done with it. (sarcasm)

I did mine about 18 months ago, so I am good for a while.

My daughter got her permit in January last year, and we had to bring her birth certificate, did not need a SS card (but did need the number).

Seems at some point in the past I did give my SSN to DPS (as well as my thumb prints).

Many DPS offices allow scheduled appointments to help reduce wait times. Worth checking if your local office does it. Some require it for license tests and exams since the troopers can only administer so many in a shift.

Since we can't ride without a license, or shouldn't anyway, I thought it appropriate to share that the State has sent me a letter stating that I can't get a new driver's license without first showing either a birth certificate or current passport. I may also need to show my social security card. Apparently this reflects a change in Texas procedure in 2016 to become compliant with the 2005 Real ID act.

The last time I updated my license was a quick few minutes at the Columbus location.I'm expecting a siege this time. I stopped by the week before Christmas and they were sending people back to get paperwork. Normally I offer all my paperwork at once, but I may try to see if they will accept a Global Entry card as proof, since my passport is 120 miles away locked in a drawer at my office. If they ask, then I'll pull out the Birth Certificate.

Anyway, I'll report back with any additional insight that may make getting a license renewed easier.

m
Please update us!

When we changed over our PA license in 2017 they made my wife get a new birth certificate as hers didn't have the raised seal. They thought it was fake. It took about a month for her to get one I seem to remember.

I scheduled an appointment at the Rosenberg office to renew my license . With passport for id I arrived about 30 minutes before my appointment. The place was packed and no place to set while waiting on my number to be called . Within a few minutes of my scheduled time my number was called . The person did not ask for my proof of citizenship just old license and new picture taken less the 10 minutes I was finished .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please update us!
Proof of citizenship is required if not previously provided, I don't remember ever doing this over the last 45+ years
So when I renewed my license back in Sept I took my passport with me - but clerk didn't ask for anything other than than my license when I gave her my application.

Here's a link to a checklist & renewal application on the DPS site that explains what is needed for renewal -
checklist - http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-32.pdf
renewal application - http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-43.pdf

So what makes a TDL compliant with the Real ID act? Is it a gold star? I had to replace my lost TDL a year and a half ago, renewed it until 2024 at the same time. It has a gold star near the upper right corner, is it Real ID compliant?

Just put the chip/bar code in my arm and let's be done with it. (sarcasm)

Link to DPS site for information regarding TX licenses being compliant with Real ID requirement - http://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/federalrealidact.htm
The star is the visual indicator that license is compliant

The gold star indicates compliance with Real ID.

The physical DL itself is different, as there are new security features on both sides and a bit more information on the back. It actually details what Class C means (under a certain GVWR, number of passengers, etc), what Class M means (motorcycle), and what restrictions you have if any.

To be able to get one, you have to prove you are an American citizen, i.e. birth certificate, passport, etc.

When I renewed my DL in October of last year, I didn't have to provide anything extra. I went to my local office, completed the form, paid the fee, and was out the door. Now, when I applied for my initial driver's license when I was 17, I know my parents provided a certified copy of my birth certificate as evidence.

Last edited:
I renewed my license on-line in December ....

The gold star indicates compliance with Real ID.

The physical DL itself is different, as there are new security features on both sides and a bit more information on the back. It actually details what Class C means (under a certain GVWR, number of passengers, etc), what Class M means (motorcycle), and what restrictions you have if any.

To be able to get one, you have to prove you are an American citizen, i.e. birth certificate, passport, etc.

When I renewed my DL in October of last year, I didn't have to provide anything extra. I went to my local office, completed the form, paid the fee, and was out the door. Now, when I applied for my initial driver's license when I was 17, I know my parents provided a certified copy of my birth certificate as evidence.

Thank you. Mine is compliant. I believe I had to present my passport two years ago because I had lost my DL(and everything else) somewhere in Colorado.

Since I got my MC endorsement last year, it looks like mine doesn't expire until 2023.

By then you'll probably have to give them some DNA anyway.

Update: 2 hours in line and 1.5 of it outside. Ultimately I didn't have to show any of the paperwork I brought with me.

A little background. I normally renew online like most people, but that is not an option at every renewal. I received a letter from the DPS stating that I needed to renew in person this time. A section of this letter read: Our records indicate that you must present the following document(s) in order to renew... and went on to list my social security card and "proof of citizenship." Not being one to stand in line twice because I didn't do my homework, I looked up the required documents on the DPS website that was listed on the form. http:/www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm.

I asked the clerk why the letter had stated that I needed proof of citizenship. She replied that there had been some problem moving data from one system to another and that they had lost the records for a number of people who were citizens. If they had someone listed as a citizen then they can issue a Real ID compliant driver license without proof of citizenship.

Anyway, I'm hoping to renew online again for the next few cycles. In the meantime anyone getting a letter might consider taking their passport and SS card with them just in case.

m

You really want to experience everything but an implanted chip, go get a Commercial Driver’s License with a hazmat endorsement. They want everything plus a background check (even if you already have a CHL and you recently got a background check for your TWIC card to get in and out of chemical plants).

Well, just in case, I have 2 years to remember where my birth certificate is hidden. Maybe in the deep freeze......

You really want to experience everything but an implanted chip, go get a Commercial Driver’s License with a hazmat endorsement. They want everything plus a background check (even if you already have a CHL and you recently got a background check for your TWIC card to get in and out of chemical plants).

The two guys right behind me in line were working on their CDLs. One was renewing and the other was trying to get his. The experienced driver spent 30 minutes explaining to the new driver in what order to add endorsements, when to get the physical, what trucks to use, etc. I didn't remember it being that complicated, but the last time I looked into it Jimmy was president.

Well, just in case, I have 2 years to remember where my birth certificate is hidden. Maybe in the deep freeze......

I lucked out and happened to have it handy because of some other legal issue, but I can see someone who doesn't have a passport needing to get their birth certificate in short order. Murphy's law.

3 or 4 years ago, they completely revised the CDL requirements. I got a letter explaining that I was going to have to retest and what the written requirements were, so I dropped my CDL - hadn't used it in years anyway, since I retired from driving the church youth bus back around 2005 or so. Besides, now I finally get to renew online instead of having to show up in person each time.

TDL, SchmeeDL. Just tell the kind officer that you are traveling and a sovereign citizen so not answerable to the Man. :lol2:

I don't mean to scare anyone here but some of you know I'm an officer in a small town. So anyhow I've been using facial recognition on most stops for some time now. :eek2: It kind of works like this. I approach the violator and say something like, "Mornin Bob, how's Alice and the kids doing these days?" :lol2:

I renewed this last Wednesday at the Temple DPS location. Arrived there at 7:30 AM; I was number 22 in line. The doors opened at 7:45 (15 minutes earlier than posted 8:00 AM opening time). Waited 40 minutes until called and out the door within the next 10 minutes. They did't look at my passport or SSN card. The "experience" was quite good.

I had to renew mine last week, in person. I received the same letter but they already had my info up to date so the old license was all that I needed. I had renewed at least once before online so my picture needed to be updated and eyes checked. Just like passports, eye glasses are no longer allowed in the picture so that could be part on the system updates. It took about an hour in the waiting area at the Huntsville DPS. I asked if getting there early would have helped and they said it was a full house all day, everyday.

Back