• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Driver's License PSA

I asked if getting there early would have helped and they said it was a full house all day, everyday.

We ran into that in Weatherford. We got there before they opened and there was already a line. This was 2017 but I hear it hasn't changed much.

Anyone know how far in advance you can renew?

From the TX DPS website:
How to renew your Texas Driver License, Motorcycle License or Identification Card

Watch our new videoOpens a new window on how to renew your Texas driver license (DL), motorcycle license, or identification (ID) card.

Most driver licenses and identification cards can be renewed up to two years before and after the expiration date.
You have several convenient options to renew your Texas driver license or identification card during this time, including:

• By Telephone
  • By Mail, or
  • In-person at your local driver license office.

The last time I renewed my license in 2013...I went to the Gatesville office to avoid the relentless long lines at the Lacy Lakeview (Waco) office. Lots o folks dont realise that you can go renew at any office in the state of Tx.

There were a number of people at the Columbus office that were from Katy and Houston. Some of the outlying offices are seeing traffic from people outside of the immediate area because of the lines in the larger cities. Also some offices are not open five days per week. Google maps are pretty good about listing the open and closing times for individual offices.

There were a number of people at the Columbus office that were from Katy and Houston. Some of the outlying offices are seeing traffic from people outside of the immediate area because of the lines in the larger cities. Also some offices are not open five days per week. Google maps are pretty good about listing the open and closing times for individual offices.
Yeah, when I did mine last year, I drove out to Hempstead at 9 am on a Tuesday. There was a line of about 20 people outside (there is only room for like 5 people inside). Everyone around me was also from Cypress, Houston, Katy, nobody from Hempstead.

When we did my daughters learners permit, we signed up online for an appointment at the Richmond office, was still about a 45 minute wait.
I am debating paying the $70 to have her take her driving test at a local driving school instead of having to deal with the DPS office for that.

One more note. Always verify that the form they give you to sign lists the proper license types, I've caught them leaving off the M on more than one occasion.

Sorry for the thread resurrection but today I received my renewal notice with a mail-in renewal form and literature about online renewal.
My question is: does this indicate DPS already has the needed data to issue a Real ID compliant license?

I looked in loops at the website and it's not fully obvious. I can't even tell if ALL licenses now issued are Real ID compliant or not. I don't want to renew and not get a gold star. Lol
Thanks.

My wife's DL renewal notice had a letter in there stating she needed to bring certain documents to get a REAL ID driver's license.

I've gotten that twice. I'm coming in with a stack of docs - passport (expired), birth certificate, DD214, etc.

3 or 4 years ago, they completely revised the CDL requirements. I got a letter explaining that I was going to have to retest and what the written requirements were, so I dropped my CDL - hadn't used it in years anyway, since I retired from driving the church youth bus back around 2005 or so. Besides, now I finally get to renew online instead of having to show up in person each time.

Yeah, I gotta show up in person for some reason.

I was born in Texas and now home address in Tennessee. Commercial Driver License required for work. Federal government has made it more difficult for everyone to stay licensed. Renewal is due in September and requirements are:
  • Valid DOT Medical Card - Employees of a government entity must have a current, valid D.O.T. medical card if making application for a CDL with a HazMat (H), Passenger (P) or School Bus (S) endorsement.
  • Proof of your Social Security Number
  • Tennessee driver’s license or ID, or a valid driver license or CDL from another state.
  • Proof of Domicile in Tennessee (Applicants for a CDL or permit will be required to present two proofs of domicile).
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status
Just got a new DOT Medical Card.
Have a Social Security card from way back when.
Already have a Tennessee driver license, so good there.
Nighthawk registration has my address so will serve as Proof of Domicile.
Already ordered fresh copy of my birth certificate from Texas. That's all I need.

Remember, expires in September, but since a state government is involved, can't be too far ahead. Nerves galore.

I got a letter about renewing early for the new ID thing and did it online. stupid easy. and boy am I glad I dumped my CDL years ago.

Anyone know how far in advance you can renew?
With the Real ID requirement for traveling coming up, I believe you can renew anytime between now and Oct 1.
I had to transfer from NC to TX in December. Was a solid 4+ hours of gulag fun and I'd done all my homework and had every stitch of document required with me.

Just went through this last week. If you do any air travel it makes sense. I took original SS card, current passport, voter card and current Texas DL. There are several other docs listed to use if need be and you can D/L the renewal form online (not a fallible pdf - Surprise!). The office in Bryan is pretty big but it still takes a looong time to suffer waiting. Once I finally made it to the window it was just the usual routine of eye test, picture, pay up. $36 for a class C with M. Bring an N-95 and rubber gloves for Covid-19 roulette in the waiting area.

I got the letter too since my DL expires next year and I can not renew online. Mega center a mile from our home is constantly busy. I told my wife I will just bring passport to fly domestic. It is freaking retarded if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

getting a passport's no walk in the park, either. Unfortunately, I missed that mine was expiring a few years back. :doh:

Was a solid 4+ hours of gulag fun and I'd done all my homework and had every stitch of document required with me.
Ahhh... another reason to love Arizona with its 3rd party DMV locations. It probably took me less than an hour which includes my travel time to and from the location. $25 more than going through the DMV office. For those that would quibble about the extra cost, what is YOUR time worth to you?
:dude:

I am thinking that, when the time comes, a road trip will be in order. Pack up my paperwork (may be a clean pair of underwear) and head for an office that gets good Google reviews. I have a 3 years to plan. My plan will probably PO the locals, when all of us from the "big sickies" start showing up and clogging their offices. Knowing me though, I will probably wait until the day before, go to my local office and grinch about it like everyone else. :)

But maybe you will be in Colorado by then!

You are correct, Gina. I fully plan to be living in the Denver area by early summer, so am postponing the whole license thing. Either way, I'll need roughly the same documents. Plus a local utility bill to prove I really have taken up residence there.

i had to renew my license about a year ago and was confounded when told i needed to present a passport/bcertificate.

"i've been a licensed driver in texas since i was 15, it has been the same number all those years, why on earth do you need further proof?"

"It's a federal law, maam"

"Texas ignores federal laws all the time," I retorted.

to no avail. she did go ahead with paperwork but i had to report back in with the documents.

i will admit that it hurt my feelings LOL

Back