• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Hill Country 3/26-28/2021

Reaction score
2 friends and I rode the hill country this past weekend on a BMW GSA, Triumph Tiger 1200 and me on a KTM SA-T and had a blast. We met in Stephenville after leaving our homes in Granbury, Lewisville and Decatur. We rode through Luckenbach and then on to Vanderpool where we stayed 2 nights in a "Peace of Heaven" cabin.

We rode the 3 sisters and noticed a camera guy setup and is selling pictures online. If you want a picture of you and your bike, he is setup on RR 337 between Vanderpool and Leakey.

Weather is great this time of year and there were a lot of bikes out. We came across an accident between Utopia and Vanderpool and heard later that a rider had lost their life. We never heard what exactly happened and that road is probably the straightest road down there, so it goes to show it can happen anywhere.

I recommend the above mentioned cabin if you want something off the beaten path. It is about 1 1/2 mile (3 miles round trip) down a maintained dirt road and is exactly as the website describes. But you'll need a partner with an ATT cell phone if you need any cell phone service.

Also, RR 337 between Vanderpool and Medina is still closed but expected to re-open in April. The bridge is under construction. That detour would have cost us at least an extra hour maybe 2 if we didn't know about it before hand.

Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
I'm headed there this weekend. I appreciate your report and will have to remember the cabins for the next time there.

Back