• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Monthly Top 50 Barbecue MAP???

Reaction score
First Name
James
I thought someone posted a Google Map with all 50 of the Texas Monthly recommended barbecue places on it. I can't find it now! I've tried the search with all possible combinations of words. Does someone have that link?
:eat:

one of those places (virgie's in houston) isn't far from my office. I'm going to go eat there friday for lunch

mmm cousins! sounds like i need to recommend that for next tuesdays dfw ride!

I don't see Anderson's in Dallas or Angelo's in Fort Worth on the top 50 list.
I know it is all very subjective, and there is no way they could test all of the joints. Those two IMHO belong on a top 50 list (maybe even a top 10).

Last edited:
I don't see Anderson's in Dallas or Angelo's in the top 50 list.
I know it is all very subjective, and there is no way they could test all of the joints. Those two IMHO belong on a top 50 list (maybe even a top 10).

I agree.

You're right, it would be very difficult if not impossible to hit every BBQ joint in the state. If my memory serves me they tried to go to all the places people wrote in about last time saying "I can't believe you didn't try X". They had a huge number of people testing, some of them had to go to up to five places a day. I don't know how you could possibly get consistant results without the same taste buds trying all the places.

I will not let that stop me from aiming to hit as many of these places as I can.

:eat:

Unlike the smaller states, Texas barbecue does not follow one pattern.

Meat: Pork, beef, or cabrito? Techinque: Open flame, smoker or pit? School: Southern, German/Czech or Native American? Fuel: Mesquite or hickory?

It's hard to evaluate a BBQ joint without understanding this.

Tom

I had to much time on my hands last week and input almost all the locations into the Gamrin Software and created POI's for the resaurants.

I'll get a life someday! (grin)

I'll attach it this weekend when I get a chance.

I had to much time on my hands last week and input almost all the locations into the Gamrin Software and created POI's for the resaurants.

I'll get a life someday! (grin)

Reason number 834 why I'll continue to kick myself for buying a ******* Magellan GPS!

Magellan :biggun:

I made one yesterday too. I sent it to Chuck. There were a few that I couldn't pinpoint though so I just put a flag in the town.

Unlike the smaller states, Texas barbecue does not follow one pattern.

Meat: Pork, beef, or cabrito? Techinque: Open flame, smoker or pit? School: Southern, German/Czech or Native American? Fuel: Mesquite or hickory?

It's hard to evaluate a BBQ joint without understanding this.

Tom

yeah and some places are great in some areas but not others, while another's rids may not be as good as X everything they have is above average. so do you score them on one item or the entire menu?

Burns BBQ in North Houston near Little York and 45 is outstanding. Ribs and brisket are out of this world. The people are always nice and friendly. I didn't mind eating under an EZ up outside. I will be going tomorrow with my wife.

:eat: I was glad to see that the New Zion BBQ Church in Huntsville had a favorable rating. 4.5 on the Tasty Scale. I have been going there for 25?+ years and consider it a bench mark for pork ribs.
Just for comparison, I checked out the Huntsville Bike Night ribs yesterday. They were ok but fell way short of what the Blessed, Holy, New Zion ribs have to offer.
I am probably a little partial because back in the day, Mrs Ward would load me up a SERIOUS plate when she saw me in line. It was a mountain of the most delicious meat you could ever dream of. Ms Carey would go around a get ever one started singing gospel songs and keep everyone in line. One day she smacked me on the back of the head because I wasn't sing Amazing Grace with everyone else. RH

Here are the files.

Attachments

• 2008 50 Best BBQ in Texas.gdb
    10.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 50BestBBQ.gpx
    32.9 KB · Views: 324
I didn't think Mann's BBQ was all that great. I can get the same flavor out of a brisket in the oven.

I am not going to take an opinion by Texas Monthly about BBQ as the gospel, they are the types that picked Snow's #1 because they perceived it to be "exclusive" since they went there and was denied and since the place is only open a few hours on Saturday mornings. That is not a BBQ restaurant, that is a part time BBQ stand. They also purposefully left many regulars off because they just wanted some new names on the list, that doesn't seem to exemplify the "50 Best" but more of the idea of here's a few regulars and a bunch of new ones.

I ate at Sam's Thursday night while working in the hood. Man, they can cook some yard bird. :eat:

Sam's is the only one that I route my trip to include. The others I just stop if they are on my way. And I am never alone there, the place always has a full parking lot.

Didn't see Sam's in the list - my error?

Speaking of BBQ - I can't say it is the best but there is one in downtown Mesquite that has a BBQ sandwich plate, UNDER $5! Help yourself to pickles and peppers.

Any magizine that makes money from advertising cant get too serious about who's the best , I looked at the article a while back and saw a few of the joints listed as being good that were very disapointing when I tried them and noted some missing from the list that impressed me . Maybe I am too picky , I judged competition BBQ for several years till I got burned out on it , Take my word it's not all fun .

The houston Press published an article on the best hamburger in Houston . Supposadly some burger stand in Bellair was the best , I tried it , Burger King whipped them hands down . I did see an add for the Bellair stand in the paper didn't notice the king placing any advertisement though . SEYA

Didn't see Sam's in the list - my error?

Nope, it was Texas Monthly's error......

If I want to know of good French food places in Dallas or Houston, I might check Texas Monthly, for BBQ they are the last place I would think to check. Their "expertise" to me would not include BBQ, burger or breakfast "joints".

The ones that stand out in my memory are in Fairfield, Robstown, Lockhart, Luling and one I can't remember the town. It is in a city square and in the hill country west of Austin an hour or two.

I don't mention any East Texas BBQ cause that is hot link country for me.

Back