• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: Texas National Picnic!

I couldn't attend last year's picnic, really missed making the event. I'll be there this year, looking forward to it

Today I received two adventure guide books (dirt roads & water crossings) for the Hill Country from Texas Adventure Rider and some Texas ADV stickers. I also received two 30% off certificates from Best Rest Products for their cycle pump (I have one and I love it).

I now have 50 door prizes in my possession. The four items above plus, 10 metal flasks & 16 t-shirts from Motorworks UK, 10 $10 gift certificates from Rocky Mountain ATV, 2 $20 gift certificates from Motorcycle Gear, & 8 items from Giant Loop Moto (worth over $200).

Sorry, WM = WalMart, a landmark no one can miss, especially with gas at $1.289! (a week ago . . . who knows now?)

Yeah, that was quite a gas war between WM & Murphy, while it lasted (1.389 now).

I didn't know there was another flying brick so close! My K75S sits 4.5 miles north of Nac WM, so 18.5 miles from your brick. There is another '88 K75S identical to mine; well same make/model/year, cosmetically not quite the same. So that makes three bricks that I know of in Nacogdoches county.

Jeff & I will have to work hard on talking you into joining the ETBMW+MC.

A few of us Nac-area riders meet at the Peking on North Street at noon on Tuesdays. You are welcome to join us if you are in town on a Tuesday (I have no idea where you work).

Yeah, that was quite a gas war between WM & Murphy, while it lasted (1.389 now).

I didn't know there was another flying brick so close! My K75S sits 4.5 miles north of Nac WM, so 18.5 miles from your brick. There is another '88 K75S identical to mine; well same make/model/year, cosmetically not quite the same. So that makes three bricks that I know of in Nacogdoches county.

Jeff & I will have to work hard on talking you into joining the ETBMW+MC.

A few of us Nac-area riders meet at the Peking on North Street at noon on Tuesdays. You are welcome to join us if you are in town on a Tuesday (I have no idea where you work).

Interesting re WM & Murphy since I thought WM owned Murphy (or at least had a big stake in it/them), but now I'm not sure why I thought that.

Edit b/4 posting: Googled it and we were/are both right! I wondered why WM was putting in pumps a block away from Murphy and now I know. LINKY

It's just my opinion, but there are FAR too many gas stations in Nac and some consolidation would be good for the owners. Funny thing: gas has always been ~$0.10-$0.15/gal cheaper in J'ville than in Nac - pretty much impossible without collusion between the stations in each town - but not recently with the "gas war" between WM & Murphy, other way 'round.

Aside, when I was just starting driving/riding (mid-late 50's), gas was $0.149 (with a 3-cent/gal discount for a fill-up!) and the stations would "put it on a ticket" to be settled up at the first of the month. There were seven stations (IIRC, maybe more, nfewer) in a straight 2-mile stretch in a town of ~2500, but US80 ran right thru the middle and that was the main (/only reliable?) way 'cross country in Winter. Nobody starved but no station owners got rich, either.

(Best Maynard G. Krebs voice here) WORK? WORK!
What is this work of which you speak? Been retired since 25Jun93 (3rd & final time) and haven't lifted a hand for pay since delivering Census forms for abt 3wks in 2000.
Click Here if you don't remember Maynard.

I'm not much for joining anything anymore, especially anything with regularly scheduled "meetings." Ask anyone who knows me, I'm pretty much constitutionally incapable of getting anywhere "on time" because I don't have to. Next Tuesday happens to be when The Eagle poops in my bank account and, as of now, there's a blank square on my calendar and I've never been to Peking so lunch might be doable :eat:. . . . but no promises! :mrgreen:

Who knows, I might go get the Airhead inspected so I can register it and ride it in. {LIGHTBULB!} Or maybe I'll combine all three in one ride to town and save gas . . . that sorta sounds like a plan. :rider:

First two pics are from the Exxon station kitty-cornered from WM when I loaded up to F-5 Dakar 2011. Didja know those OEM panniers/s-bags will hold a 30-pack each? That's important info! :chug:

The next two are from the night I got muh Brick abt a month before, taken at the motel in Fatevul, Arkysaw, after I picked 'er up in Bentonville. If I make it to lunch Toozday, I'll bring the best Service Records, evah. One look and S O L D!!!

Last pic is just, well, because PHUN (and the RS's been faster, more than once).

And if youse guyz are into Dakar, I have the complete Eurosport TeeBee coverage of 2016 on DVDs and a Flash Drive, plus the same thing for 2013 on a stick, and the same thing for 2010 (+ some other Euro bikey stuff) on DVDs, Plus (I think, if I can find it) a buncha IoM coverage if we get a "real" EasTX Winter wknd and need a bike fix, as in over 24hrs worth. Yes, I have a couple of generators for power outages (like the ice storm in Nov '98!!!) and the stove's Propane fueled so DiGiorno pizza would be on the menu - heck, anything could be on the menu and I'm an Honorary RCA so Cajun & Creole are easy and can be done on the 3-burner "Outside Stove" anytime. :eat3: Rofl Rofl

This has been a FUN post so I'm now planning to "do Chinese" Tuesday. See y'all then.

Attachments

• DSC01259.JPG
    DSC01259.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 30-Pack Per Side.JPG
    30-Pack Per Side.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01232.JPG
    DSC01232.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01243.JPG
    DSC01243.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 187
  • A Moment of Exuberance on the RS Enroute Paris.JPG
    A Moment of Exuberance on the RS Enroute Paris.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 264
Great! Hope to see you on Tuesday and maybe every now and then on Tuesdays as you are in the mood for Chinese!

Good news! I heard from Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage and we are getting some goodies from them.

Also, Euro Motoelectrics sent us a big box.

Two weeks to go 'till the Texas National Picnic, May 21st, at Love's Lookout just north of Jacksonville.

Bring something to throw on the grill or grab a burger or something on the way in.

Sadly I have a conflict that I'm struggling to resolve. There is an ever so slight chance I might be able to spend an hour or so at the picnic but it's not looking good. I WILL double check dates before I obligate myself (or so I keep telling myself).

Two weeks to go 'till the Texas National Picnic, May 21st, at Love's Lookout just north of Jacksonville.

Bring something to throw on the grill or grab a burger or something on the way in.

On the calendar with nothing competing for that date. :rider::eat::rider:

One week to go. Drove by Love's Lookout yesterday and the state is replacing US 69 through that area, so be careful when you are arriving & leaving.

I'm still planning on getting to the lookout at 8:30 to help hold down the pavilion for the event. Hoping for back-up, I figure it'll take 3 of us to make a gang :lol2:

I'm still planning on getting to the lookout at 8:30 to help hold down the pavilion for the event. Hoping for back-up, I figure it'll take 3 of us to make a gang :lol2:

Too early for me as I'll be heading back from BigD. Trying to talk Texxter into riding back with me. Should be there by 11A, maybe a bit before.

I'll be there, and I'll try to bring a couple kalochies.

Texas National Picnic at Love's Lookout Park This Saturday!

We are ready to do this.

We got charcoal.

We got door prizes!

We got decent weather predicted for Saturday.

We got road construction on US 69 right outside Love's Lookout Park (watch for gravel).

We got riders coming in from across Texas and from border states.

We got volunteers showing up at 8:30 a.m. (I'm bringing kolaches).

We got Hairsmith working as Sergeant-At-Arms (mind yourself around the door prizes).

We got thank-you letters for attendees to sign to send to the door-prize donors.

So get your butts in gear (and your bikes too) and get to the Texas National Picnic this Saturday.

Hope to see you there!

Back