• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas - Off Road

I did this for a route I did thru New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Nevada some years back, took months to build and my suggestion is to overlay the track in google earth as you may find yourself going up dry creek beds and places you don't want to be on a loaded bike...ask me how I know. :rolleyes: Looks good and thanks for sharing..
Yeah its hard to tell in basecamp. I usually keep both open Google map and bascamp while planning a route as specially the roads that I haven't traveled before to avoid private property..

Hi Y’all. I’m a new adventure rider just gearing up. What’s the best GPS unit for handling these tracks, TAT, BDR etc? I assume that my phone won’t work in remote areas. Obviously, want to get the right mix of price/value. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Y’all. I’m a new adventure rider just gearing up. What’s the best GPS unit for handling these tracks, TAT, BDR etc? I assume that my phone won’t work in remote areas. Obviously, want to get the right mix of price/value. Thanks in advance for the help.
Welcome aboard! 1st off, your phone will work where there is no reception providing you cache the maps you need to the phone. Google Maps & the other apps can all do this so you're not reliant on spotty cell service. Obviously you won't get live updates or traffic but you will get where you're going.

However, phones do suffer from a number of drawbacks;
  • need a good case for protection from elements
  • will overheat in said case in full sun, this will often cause the phone to shutdown
  • screen brightness is hard to see in full sun
That being said, I do use my phone for the first and last miles, directions to gas, hotels, food etc. as Google turn by turns & traffic avoidance are still the best thing out there. So carry the phone with a cached map and use for a backup should your main unit fail. I also carry a compass & paper map for the worst case scenario.

As you say, a critical feature for the TAT, BDR etc. is to be able to handle Tracks (and understanding the difference between them & Routes), the last thing you want is to be sent to the freeway because it's "quicker!" To my mind (and many miles of experience) it's hard to beat the Garmin Montana series. They have a large touchscreen, seem impervious to dirt & wet, handle both Routes & Tracks and have a solid & fairly inexpensive bike cradle mount that so far has held up through numerous offies. Of course you'll still need to deal with the largely awful Basecamp, Garmin Map Manager, Garmin Map Install & Garmin Express (yes, they apparently couldn't combine them all into one app) but there is a huge variety of compatible maps from 3rd party sources (including Topo), many of them free or close to it. I create everything in Google Maps then export to Basecamp via KMZ files but that's a story for another post.

I've bought all my GPS units from GPS City, they have a huge selection and often offer refurb units at very reduced prices. There's a number of varieties of the Montana, it's a question of picking out the features you want. Most of us just have the base version I believe though.

I've been using a Kyosera Duraforce for 10? years now - essentially a cell phone
with no SIM card. It has been 100% reliable.

You (obviously) don't need a cell signal so it works "Off-line". Download the maps
when you have a wifi signal for each state. I use OSMAND and it has been flawless.

I've ridden all over the SouthWest and the NorthEast and never had a problem. I
personally don't like dedicated GPS like Garmin as way back when (2004?), I had
a Magellan and a Garmin and they let me down.

I ride mainly solo. so reliability is important. I carry a spare Kyosero and a cell phone
"just in case". You can purchase them off ebay for < $100.

I've been using a Kyosera Duraforce for 10? years now - essentially a cell phone
with no SIM card. It has been 100% reliable.

You (obviously) don't need a cell signal so it works "Off-line". Download the maps
when you have a wifi signal for each state. I use OSMAND and it has been flawless.

I've ridden all over the SouthWest and the NorthEast and never had a problem. I
personally don't like dedicated GPS like Garmin as way back when (2004?), I had
a Magellan and a Garmin and they let me down.

I ride mainly solo. so reliability is important. I carry a spare Kyosero and a cell phone
"just in case". You can purchase them off ebay for < $100.
how is osmand when it comes to planning tracks for off-road, single track/trails?

This is great... Thank you for sharing your hard work..

Okay, I have attached both Full version and break down sections Section 1 - 14 (Start From Houston - Dell City TX and joins NMBDR). As I mentioned previously this is 80% off road (Dirt, Gravels, water crossing and single lane Back Roads) remaining 20% single lane highway to connect next dirt dirt and very very minimum highway.

I plan to test this out very soon! Let me know if anyone would want to tag along.

Let me know if anyone run into any issue loading these GPX files. My next route will map from Mission TX to Houston :)

Lot of late nights, hard work put into built this Texas - Off Road full route and by each sections.

Ride Safe, and always wear protective gears.

Enjoy riding!

Texas - Off Road Map:

View attachment 286046

GPX files Image:
View attachment 286060

Thanks
G!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer
Did you ever ride this route? It looks amazing.

This intrigued me. Had some time and loaded the tracks. I can't speak to the stuff Austin-Houston, but I gave a looksee starting about Llano to the west, as I have covered that ground once or twice. There are a few places that do not go through in that GPX file. Lot of ways you can skin that cat, I'm not going to try and reinvent the route, but thought I would point out the places that will give you trouble based on my experience. Barksdale to Brackettville, CR310 does not go through to the south, can take it north towards Rocksprings (dirt to 55), then take FM674 to Brackettville (paved but really pretty). Comstock to Sanderson...can't cross the Pecos there, to my knowledge (Google Maps shows it as Private Rd 413) but you can cross to the south on Pandale Rd, then take Fiedler Draw, Pumpville Rd west to 349. Also, rather than take FM1024 (paved) north out of Comstock, slide west to Langtry and take what basecamp shows as FM2083 (dirt) north towards Fiedler Draw. Out of Alpine south on 118, to Terlingua Ranch Lodge (all paved)....no problem there, but I would route out of Marathon on 385, then take Terlingua/Marathon Rd (dirt) all the way to the Lodge, more fun and 40 miles shorter. Leave the lodge, take Lake Ament west over to 118, more better. Also missing out on some cool stuff not routing through the North/South County Rd complex on the west side of 118 to pop out in Terlingua...and would shave some pavement. The stuff north of Kent, I haven't done that, but that route is not what I have heard of others doing, Dellahunt, Smileys, KC, University is the route I've heard of and have my eye on. Hamilton Ranch Rd by Dell City, I don't think you can do that, GE Street View shows a closed gate with a solar panel and big NO sign. Just trying to be helpful, by all means go explore. Would love to see someone ride the entire route and do a ride report!!

1686837179012.png

Okay, I have attached both Full version and break down sections Section 1 - 14 (Start From Houston - Dell City TX and joins NMBDR). As I mentioned previously this is 80% off road (Dirt, Gravels, water crossing and single lane Back Roads) remaining 20% single lane highway to connect next dirt dirt and very very minimum highway.

I plan to test this out very soon! Let me know if anyone would want to tag along.

Let me know if anyone run into any issue loading these GPX files. My next route will map from Mission TX to Houston :)

Lot of late nights, hard work put into built this Texas - Off Road full route and by each sections.

Ride Safe, and always wear protective gears.

Enjoy riding!

Texas - Off Road Map:

View attachment 286046

GPX files Image:
View attachment 286060

Thanks
G!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer
Wow ……. Very glad that I found this post. Thanks for sharing

Question if I may………are there any good offroad tracks with water crossing north or west (brookshire for example) of houston? I would appreciate if someone can share with me offroad gpx files with water crossing.

Thanks in advance!

I really like the new Zumo XT

Question if I may………are there any good offroad tracks with water crossing north or west (brookshire for example) of houston? I would appreciate if someone can share with me offroad gpx files with water crossing.

Thanks in advance!
Groveton Loop has one or two but not much to get excited about. Lots of long sand stretches but good practice for sand!

Groveton Loop has one or two but not much to get excited about. Lots of long sand stretches but good practice for sand!
That needs to be clarified, if on a plated dirtbike, it's boring as all dirt road riding in this area is. Get on the 700cc and up adv bikes (which these routes were intended for) and it can become interesting very quickly depending on conditions. I've ridden that route many times(since I linked the roads together), sometimes it's a piece of cake, sometimes impassable in a couple of areas, literally, and sometimes a great challenge that is rewarding. Take the plated dirtbike to the woods and enjoy it as intended!!!! Or N.M./Colorado!

Thanks in advance!

The Fayetteville loop has one easy creek crossing. It's actually a really nice spot though. There's a big gravel bank and plenty of shade. If there's been heavy rains recently, it may not be passable though.

Back