• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas OHV Venues

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
I just got my OHV sticker for my 450 to ride at SHNF, but noticed on the website that there are other places to use the sticker.

I wondered if any of the others listed were worth a visit? Right now I'm enjoying riding mainly dirt single track through fields and trees. Any of these fall into that category?

North Texas OHV Venues:
Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area
Eisenhower State Park
Northwest OHV Park
Trophy Club Park at Grapevine Lake
Lake Buffalo OHV Area
Navigable River on the Texas/Oklahoma Border

South/Central Texas OHV Venues:
Mud Buddies ATV Park
Buffalo Valley MX Park
Emma Long City Park
Bolivar Peninsula/Crystal Beach
Rio Bravo MX Park
Sam Houston National Forest *
Childress ATV & MX Park
Buffalo Springs Lake OHV Area
Lake Mackenzie Recreation Area
McClellan National Grassland
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area
Blue Creek OHV Area
Rosita Flats OHV Area

West Texas OHV Venues:
Escondido Draw Recreational Area
Moss Creek Lake ATV Park
Twin Buttes OHV Area
San Felipe Park

First Name
Jay
Last Name
Birdsong
Some of those are privately owned and don't require a OHV sticker. I know Rio Bravo is a privately owned MX track that doesn't require a sticker and you don't need one to ride the beach (Crystal Beach and Boliver Peninsula). You do have to be registered for the street (license plate) to legally ride the beach.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Of that list, I've been to Northwest, Trophy Club and Barnwell.

Trophy Club is small, but it's just trails through trees that you'd probably like a lot. Only problem is the trails aren't directional and it's small enough that you can meet someone head on going the wrong direction. Maybe go mid-week and you'd be fine.

Barnwell has singletrack through trees, but it's pretty technical and rocky and the easy loop isn't always that easy.

Northwest is really a jeep playground. Not a lot of singletrack.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Some of those are privately owned and don't require a OHV sticker. I know Rio Bravo is a privately owned MX track that doesn't require a sticker and you don't need one to ride the beach (Crystal Beach and Boliver Peninsula). You do have to be registered for the street (license plate) to legally ride the beach.
Private parks that accept funding for trails still have to require the sticker.

Barnwell is like that, it's private, but the sticker is still required and the ranger will write tickets if you are caught without one.

First Name
Phil
Some of those South Central venues are actually in the Panhandle (Makenzie, Meredith, Childress). I've got a friend who lives in Canyon. At some point we are going to spend a weekend exploring some of those, but they are at least 5 hours from DFW. Lots of SAND.

Last edited:

budzrex

Forum Supporter
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
Buffalo Valley MX is now Creekside MX owned by a good friend of mine no sticker needed, very small trails area but a nice MX track
There is also Spoakes moto park in Lockhart and Murphys MX that both have short trail areas

But like I have offered come on down some weekend to Zars Ranch myself or one of the guys will sponsor you on plenty of single track to ride

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Buffalo Valley MX is now Creekside MX owned by a good friend of mine no sticker needed, very small trails area but a nice MX track
There is also Spoakes moto park in Lockhart and Murphys MX that both have short trail areas

But like I have offered come on down some weekend to Zars Ranch myself or one of the guys will sponsor you on plenty of single track to ride
Thanks. I'd like to take you up on that sometime. Trying to figure out how to work it into the next family vacation without causing too much friction :)