• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some of those are privately owned and don't require a OHV sticker. I know Rio Bravo is a privately owned MX track that doesn't require a sticker and you don't need one to ride the beach (Crystal Beach and Boliver Peninsula). You do have to be registered for the street (license plate) to legally ride the beach.

Of that list, I've been to Northwest, Trophy Club and Barnwell.

Trophy Club is small, but it's just trails through trees that you'd probably like a lot. Only problem is the trails aren't directional and it's small enough that you can meet someone head on going the wrong direction. Maybe go mid-week and you'd be fine.

Barnwell has singletrack through trees, but it's pretty technical and rocky and the easy loop isn't always that easy.

Northwest is really a jeep playground. Not a lot of singletrack.

Some of those are privately owned and don't require a OHV sticker. I know Rio Bravo is a privately owned MX track that doesn't require a sticker and you don't need one to ride the beach (Crystal Beach and Boliver Peninsula). You do have to be registered for the street (license plate) to legally ride the beach.
Private parks that accept funding for trails still have to require the sticker.

Barnwell is like that, it's private, but the sticker is still required and the ranger will write tickets if you are caught without one.

Some of those South Central venues are actually in the Panhandle (Makenzie, Meredith, Childress). I've got a friend who lives in Canyon. At some point we are going to spend a weekend exploring some of those, but they are at least 5 hours from DFW. Lots of SAND.

Last edited:
Buffalo Valley MX is now Creekside MX owned by a good friend of mine no sticker needed, very small trails area but a nice MX track
There is also Spoakes moto park in Lockhart and Murphys MX that both have short trail areas

But like I have offered come on down some weekend to Zars Ranch myself or one of the guys will sponsor you on plenty of single track to ride

Its been 40 years since iv ridden in a state park or any single track and am considering a second lighter bike so forgive my ignorance. What is an ohv sticker?

What is an ohv sticker?
Certain venues in Texas (like Barnwell Mountain, SHNF, Trophy Club, Canadian River) require you to purchase and display an OHV sticker. They are $18 or so and run from August thru July of the next year. You can purchase them at a few motorcycle dealers, and at the venues - if they are open. There are very few places in Texas that require this (see OP above), but if you don't have one they will ticket you if they get the chance.

Certain venues in Texas (like Barnwell Mountain, SHNF, Trophy Club, Canadian River) require you to purchase and display an OHV sticker. They are $18 or so and run from August thru July of the next year. You can purchase them at a few motorcycle dealers, and at the venues - if they are open. There are very few places in Texas that require this (see OP above), but if you don't have one they will ticket you if they get the chance.
What does ohv stand for?

My understanding is if you ride the multiuse trails, you need the sticker regardless whether it’s plated or not. If you ride any of the roads in the park, your bike needs to be registered for the street (plated).

My understanding is if you ride the multiuse trails, you need the sticker. If you ride any of the roads in the park, your bike needs to be registered for the street (plated).
Thanks $18 is cheap enough just trying to figure out how it all works as there were no such things back when i was riding now antiqued trail bikes.

Ok, I bought a OHV sticker for my KLR650 - now, where am I supposed to mount it?

Typical mounting. I know, fork tube is not exposed on the KLR.
20210405_092655[1].jpg

Right fork tube between the triple clamps

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ok, I bought a OHV sticker for my KLR650 - now, where am I supposed to mount it?

On my Gen 2 KLR the fork tube between the triple clamps is not visible like on my KDX and KLX. Here's a picture of my KLR showing the the right side fork. Even though the state instructs where to place the permit, to me it looks like the only place would be below the fork tube cover.
Beware!!! Once that sticker is on -- it's on.

KLR650 fork tube.jpg

Buffalo Springs is a few miles east of Lubbock. It makes a good overnight for me coming back or going to Colorado. Lots of rv sights with full hookups both open and under trees. The riding area is not big and it overlooks the lake. Trails are wide open with most going up or down the cliff area dropping toward the lake. Topography, gullies and traction are the only real technical aspects I saw. It's almost all packed gray dirt that makes for surprisingly good traction. Even with its small size you can spend 3-4 hours having a jolly good romp and re-riding the same trails in different ways. The two most technical spots for me were at the east and western edges of the area. East is a loose cliff face that took me three good runs to finally make. West side is a huge washed area that qualifies as technical on rg's scale of motorcycle goofyness.

This not a riding destination like Barnwell and others but if you're in the neighborhood and just happen to have a motorcycle handy...go for it!

Last edited:
I've seen them on the side of the cowling where it would be on the fork and on the lower edge of the wing screen both on KLR's. I don't see any reason not to place it lower on the fork either.

Pro-tip: Before putting an OHV (or going the complete opposite direction, a TollTag) sticker anywhere on your motorcycle, cut a square of this to the same size and put it down first. Years later, and I do mean many years later, it will peel off clean and not even leave the slightest hint of residue.

Good idea! It looks like the most correct place to put the sticker is on the fairing but getting it back off the fairing might damage the plastic. The protection film would prevent that.

Thanks!, It's on the way from Amazon.

Back