• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Summer Riding Gear?

Going to be trying something a little different after reading an article on IBA about heat on the bike and such. We will see.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

Lot's in that coincides with my rigorously ATGATT experience riding year-round / all-day wearing a classic Roadcrafter 1-piece suit and managing the airflow (distinct from direct air-blast on skin/undergarments) with the provided venting zippers / Velcro tabs (wrists, ankles, neck, underarm, and upper-back).

Won't say I never sweated but I certainly enjoyed all those miles on all those hot days (even, or especially, on the full-fairing Connie) .... admitting maybe influenced in part by having seen some mesh gear and (unfortunate) wearers after significant asphalt encounters.

Last edited:
Sooooo, I am shifting from a Klim Apex air and BMW City II pants to Triumph Taloc Jacket and Pant. From textile/mesh to leather/vents and I am pretty sure that I will mix and match sometimes.
Sat. should be my test and I will report back then.

Sorry, Carl, but I don't understand the question. :giveup:

Keeping the funky smell down. I remember that you do a good bit of long distance riding. So how does the LD gear handle the smells that come with the sweating?

Keeping the funky smell down. I remember that you do a good bit of long distance riding. So how does the LD gear handle the smells that come with the sweating?

On a multi-day ride I have two pairs of tops and bottoms. They rinse out in the sink or the shower, wring dry and then roll them up in a towel, and they are good to go.

From Mario's FAQ page:
Do they dry overnight?
LDComfort™ garments will dry overnight. Like many things they also need air to help them dry. There are a few ways that might help in this situation. Hang your garments over the air conditioner/fan/heater in the hotel room. Usually there is a curtain above the shower unit you can clip them to using some of the pant hangers provided.
The best way to quickly dry any LDComfort™ garment is to do the following:
After washing your garments and wringing them out, lay them flat on a towel. Roll them up in the towel and wring the towel. A lot of moisture will be moved into the towel because it is far more absorbent. If you roll the garments up again with the dry side of the towel your shorts can actually be put back on. The garment will feel cool but your body heat will quickly help dispel any extra moisture. For the shorts and tights, the waistband will dry with your body heat in about a half hour.

Last edited:
Any tricks to keep the funk down when rolling out?
For me with the Roadcrafter it's getting out of the suit ASAP when off the bike and opening it fully / laying it out on the bike to air-out and dry. Easy the way Roadcrafters are built, boot removal not required. The ability to occasionally thoroughly wash it at home when things really started to get funky helps a lot, too.

'Fresh' undergarments daily as Texas T described.

I'll offer that I think one reason that suit worked so well for me in summer was it's 'fit' ... sized be 'snug' with a layer of winter clothing / electric jacket under it in the cold, that provided a bit of 'loose room' for vented air circulation throughout in summer with lighter / thinner 'street clothes' under.

Not sure if that's the kind of 'fit' you intend with the leather gear, sincerely hoping it works out for you.

Last edited:
I suppose if you can keep the top half cool its do-able.

Yes, when it's that hot out here the humidity is probably 10% or less, so the evaporative cooling process works well, but reducing the heat from 118 to 98 (or thereabouts) just makes it tolerable.

If you can find it, look for Tim Masterson's ride report when he did the 1000 mile SaddleSore entirely within Death Valley. He recorded outside temps, inside the jacket temps, etc. I'll post a link if I come across it.

With my LD Comfort shirt and my loose heavy coat I was very comfortable but I don't know what my temp was inside my coat.

My onboard thermometer said 97 on yesterday's ride and it wasn't too bad in Klim Induction jacket and Klim jeans.

Maybe this summer riding thing is doable.

With my LD Comfort shirt and my loose heavy coat I was very comfortable but I don't know what my temp was inside my coat.

Are LD comfort shirts different from regular Under Armour?

Thanks Carl. This is a good read for anyone that wants detailed info on riding in intense heat.

Tim is retired Army, lives in Texas, a former IBR finisher, and the man behind the George Wyman Project. George was the first person to ride a motorcycle cross-country. Alone. San Francisco to New York. Alone. In 1903.

It is a project worth supporting. Join me and many others in keeping this bit of motorcycle history alive.

I just read the FAQs from LD, it looks like it has flat seams (so does most other athletic gear) the LD is using a dual layer (push pull) set up, I don't know about the compitition. I do know that my UA gear is cold when putting it on. Its going to have to be better than what is said in the FAQs to change over.

I just read the FAQs from LD, it looks like it has flat seams (so does most other athletic gear) the LD is using a dual layer (push pull) set up, I don't know about the compitition. I do know that my UA gear is cold when putting it on. Its going to have to be better than what is said in the FAQs to change over.

There's probably nothing better than testimonials, so go to any Long Distance Riding community / forum / FB page / RTE and ask what they wear for a base layer.

Back