• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Tiddlers Run October 24, 2020

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
The 2020 Texas Tiddlers Endurance Fun Run is scheduled for Saturday, October 24, 2020.

From our host, Dennis Leggett: The 2020 Tiddler** will be a fun run on public roads, no official classes, just adding it our annual Halloween Run. There will be a 100 mile ride (with appropriate social distancing) and there will be small groups of similar displacement machines traveling together. Just be aware that we are going over the highest mountain range in San Augustine and Sabine Counties so gear your machine appropriately.

**Tiddler is generally a motorcycle/scooter from 35cc-305cc.

Rally central and the start/finish will be again be Boles Field Campground in the Sabine National Forest in East Texas located on FM2694 at google map coordinates 31.77246, -93.96832 which is 6.9 miles East of Shelbyville and 3.6 miles West of FM139.

Camping is available at Boles Field https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/texas/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=30258&actid=71, which is currently closed due to downed trees from Hurricane Laura, but should be re-opened by the late October. The nearest motels are 8 miles East at Huxley Bay Marina or 15 miles West at Center. A food truck should be at the campground for coffee, snacks & meals, but do be prepared to be a self-sufficient to a limited extent.

I plan to arrive Friday afternoon the 23rd, pitch a tent and ride Saturday.

Warning: There is likely no cell phone service at Boles Field.

For a little insight re: the Tiddler, please see info/pics from the 2019 Tiddler here: https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/texas-tiddlers-endurance-run-may-18-2019.119786/

:pirate:

The 2020 Registration From -- also attached as a .pdf

_nc_ohc=u_homZ_eB9cAX8L4YfS&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Attachments

• Texas Tiddler 2020 Registration.pdf
    210 KB · Views: 192
My name is Kevin Harris and i bought a TW200 in march because i can nolonger ride my Honda Foreman 500 w a sticker on National Forest Service roads. I can ride the TW.
I have a log home on Toledo Bend off of Reeves road about 2 miles North of Holly Park Turn off (between Milam and Patroon). Would the TW 200 be considered suitable for the Tiddler Run or too small?

Thanks for your time

....Would the TW 200 be considered suitable for the Tiddler Run or too small?....

Hi Kevin, the Tiddler often runs thru Patroon & Goober Hill. :mrgreen: The TW is an ideal Tiddler. Too small? No. For instance, several of us have completed prior 200 mile Tiddlers on 50cc-125cc bikes & scooters, along with our TW. One of the tricks to completing a Tiddler is to avoid Quicksand :wary::

20150516_151344.jpg

The Tiddler is not a "serious" event, that is, it's more about fun, along with the personal challenge of completing a timed route on a small motorcycle. The organizer generally has up to 5 classes of motorcycles, with more points awarded for both older and smaller bikes, and it does take some effort to win a class, which merely awards you a recycled trophy that may be 40 years old. :sun: For example, our friend James from the DFW area won a class in a prior Tiddler riding his early '70's Vespa scooter, adorned in his baseball catcher's equipment on part of the Run (sorry, no pic).

Do the bikes need to be street legal?
Most the route is traverses Shelby/Sabine county, US Forest Service and Texas state public roads. However, a few riders have participated in, and completed, prior Tiddlers riding Western Auto** mini-bikes.
** Remiminscient of those Briggs & Stratton/Tecumseh powered mini-bikes with a tire-scrubbing rear brake that I used to sit-on and long-for as a little fellow back 1970ish. Or the current crop of Baja-bikes at TSC, etc.

Any pictures? How did it go in the age of coved-19? I hope a lot of people who enjoy riding small displacement bike attended.

Post pictures if you can. What is the oldest tiddler ridden?

Thanks for reminding me to post some pics. The oldest tiddlers to complete the Tiddler were ridden by our own vintagetour Tom on his 1970's Czech CZ-175 and grandson Tristin, who, riding his 1st Tiddler, won Class 2 riding a 1960's Sears/Allstate Gilera (I forget which model, perhaps a SR124):
_nc_ohc=Kesqp2ijzFQAX_Q-9md&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=dQFYeZppzo8AX_ZFobh&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

I suspect Tom is discussing "which way to go" here:
_nc_ohc=4ySpfKY9CrAAX-GEt-W&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

Last edited:
The 2020 was only a 1/2 day ride but most of the day was cold and damp with temps in the low 50's. When added to some navigational challenges, it was a kinda difficult ride, but the East Texas county and forest service roads were enjoyable nonetheless.
_nc_ohc=_6YQVBNiN_YAX9yk_Wj&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=ybf1etdp-ccAX8T0lJJ&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

Conner, also riding his 1st Tiddler, won the experimental class, having, due to an electrical failure, had to push his bike the last ±500 feet to cross the finish line on time. Conner is riding the "lead bike" in this photo:
_nc_ohc=fP3gPTi8HXMAX9AOYp-&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=2Vrj2vuO1uIAX_HAAIz&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

The various scooters are always a hoot:
gpW6y28CnVJs9qRHRYcT4RM19Pc&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=8b0arrqfE78AX_17fXo&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=DY6ExBb3NIYAX-yTF4n&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=s2-NcAdQIkAAX_iIRCk&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

Lsnj_nl1nujyhf_LIGz8v1vFWap&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Below is the 2020 route sheet, which Dennis hands you just a few minutes before departure:
_nc_ohc=NRb9wJvGei4AX98lJvM&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

I rode the MB5, finishing on time to win Class 1, with Joe riding our TW200 in his 1st Tiddler, also timely finished the complete route to win Class 3.
_nc_ohc=MwO0aiqhhIEAX_uCYrO&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=URh0qH5DV1gAX_5CET0&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

Here's a BIG THANKS to our hosts, Dennis & Debbie:
_nc_ohc=zWoV8fh7OrgAX8uvnzJ&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

And another BIG THANKS to Harold and his mostly trusty Chang Jaing sidecar rig, for rescuing stranded Tiddlers and returning 'em to base camp:
_nc_ohc=M8FZJmPEStcAX-Ht3oA&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=k-qPQofsmTQAX8AD11c&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

l8G1jchOPujQ2Oww2DhS5ONLEtF&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=aMvyZRwlikQAX_FMvJk&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

And another thanks to Christi for letting me pirate her photos, some taken from the sidehack:
_nc_ohc=VVLcFXhzIVAAX8CjO-7&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

Last edited:
Our rescue driver and friend, Harold, passed away today from complications of CV-19. He was one of the few people I've known that had the desire, patience and skill to repair and keep old mechanical things running, including clocks, motorcycles and Russian & Chinese sidecar rigs. Godspeed Harold. We'll miss you.

... BIG THANKS to Harold and his mostly trusty Chang Jaing sidecar rig, for rescuing stranded Tiddlers and returning 'em to base camp:
View attachment 279463

View attachment 279464

View attachment 279465

ohc-k-qpqofsmtqax8ad11c-_nc_ht-scontent-mia3-2-jpg.jpg

Back