• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas to Utah and back (my recent SW trip)

Reaction score
It's been a while that I posted here but here we go - posting now!

A buddy and I took 6 days to take a very cool bike trip; buddy rides a Yamaha FJR and I was on my Tiger 900 GT.

The route: Home (DFW area) > New Mexico > Arizona > Utah > Colorado > New Mexico > Home:

80nVAJelJSEjdI?width=1024&height=442&cropmode=none.jpg

The trip ended up being just over 2800 miles according to my bike; seeing that my rear tire was pretty much gone by the end of the trip, I do think there was a little bit of error in those readings (and we know that speedo is about 5 mph aggressive) but:

09h60aHRDvhPsuA?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

Days 1 and 6 were long haul pedal to the metal kind of days; from DFW to Santa Fe on day 1 and from Red River (NM) to DFW. Lots of slab. Cruise control FTW! No, really; it is incredible!!

On the way to Santa Fe, we tried to follow Route 66 for a bit; but we ran into the area that was unpaved anymore, so after a little bit of that we opted for the highway instead (you can see it in the green part right of the bike here) because we had so much distance to cover:

LVYamgxN_-_NW0?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

On day 2, the destination was Page, AZ. Some cool riding on the way... first made it to Los Alamos and then over the mountain and this beautiful valley:

XvUMaKZsA0mGTU?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Further along, we took the time to go by Ship Rock peak; pretty wild, I have never seen it in person:

glvSzcaXc8ee1s?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

Obligatory storm / dust storm once we hit Arizona; we decided to stop in Rock Point because wind gusts were getting really nasty until the storm came through, with all the dust in the air, it was getting dangerous to ride:

VhACnPRwxCHde4?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Day 3 saw us do a quick stop at the dam in Page, AZ, just so we can say that we took a dam picture:

wh3FX1Fo3kodZ0?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Then made it to Bryce Canyon... beautiful!!

wIfsyw_sQuMG1I?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Rode around the park a bit more:

PTBLu3uTPaMW4Y?width=1024&height=470&cropmode=none.jpg

Onto to the final destination for that day, Hanksville, UT! Some beautiful sights on the way (rode through Capitol Reef NP which is also incredible); lots of varied terrain. That was probably my favorite day of the trip:

bTtvsob8_6k090?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Another early start on Day 4! Destination this time was Cortez, CO... also beautiful riding, especially in the morning:

8nxL1dc2fTxbJM?width=1024&height=298&cropmode=none.jpg

This was supposed to be "Lake Powel" (northern part) but the lake is very low (the ranger said about 30 ft under):

pz_WqJv1pKIQCI?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Day 5 - we headed north from Cortez and rode by Telluride, CO and then in Ridgway, we turned right to go via Ouray and Million Dollar Highway, on our way to ultimate destination, Red River, NM. Looking south toward Ouray when in Ridgway, wondering what those clouds will bring us in the mountains:

sIlO7MyEp5gg5s?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

As it turns out, dry albeit a bit cold all the way to Durango. Beautiful, as always! This is probably my favorite area of Colorado:

tMJ5vyoC-jEt7c?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Into New Mexico... on the way to Red River, also beautiful!! This is probably an area where it was the coldest as we went over a mountain to make it to Taos (mountains are behind my back LOL). Temp got down to 32:

5ZU6xyUFtOBiDU?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Made it to Red River! I like Red River; went skiing there for several years (and will try to go again this December). We rode through that storm to come here and about 10 minutes later another one came through and it was sleeting LOL so we were happy we had a hotel here:

ZOJqYOdCkZw0Z8?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Next morning, got to scrape some frost of the windshield and the bike LOL:

lD6av9QrBaDq9o?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Well, from there on, after about first 3 hours it was a long boring ride home. Overall, it was a great trip!

Bike specific (2020 Tiger 900 GT):

This was the first trip of that length that I took on the 900. I did 2 days rides before, but nothing like this.

The bike is phenomenal; I knew that I was buying a great bike but the bike is better than that, IMO. It fits me well, behaves very well on the highway and twisties, handles winds well. Also, that cruise control! Very pleased! I used either highway or rain ride modes on this trip, I can tell the difference.

The seat... well... let's just say that because of (reasons) - the Sargent seat I bought did not come to me in time so I was riding on OEM seat (with a sheep skin). It was okay but just okay; I would not do it on OEM seat again. But it was not terrible.

Getting the Givi windshield was a great move on my part; I was not getting fatigued with wind pressure on my shoulders, I get no buffeting (the shield is vented like the OEM shield is) so this was another success.

Grip heaters are okay but not great. I guess they are adequate; but once you have heavier gloves on you don't really feel the heat as much as you feel the lack of it when you turn the grip heaters off.

I bought the H&B C-Bow luggage (Xtravel bags which are semi rigid, I guess). This worked out great. It is very easy to take them off and into the hotel room and of day. Content was bone dry after rains and storms along the way. I don't see how stuff would not stay dry in those things LOL unless they were compromised somehow (tear or what not). I was a little worried that there is no closing mechanism for bags themselves (the bags do lock to the bike carrier) but did not really worry about it when we were doing shorter hikes or at lunches.

My rear tire needs replacing now; I am switching to Michelin as I can get dual compound (for more longevity riding flat roads). I explicitly dislike how OEM tires (front and back) feel when they hit tar sealant ("tar snakes"). Seems like Colorado and to a degree Utah is in love with the stuff and it is all over the place. Slipping on those things all over the place; very unnerving. Michelins handled this much better when I rode some of the same roads on my V-Strom in the past so Michelin it is.

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

The ride from Farmington to Page has become my least favorite routes out west...you can only see Shiprock so many times. :rofl:

Did you by-pass North Rim GC and Zion? You were oh so close.

Did you get any photos of the power plant in Page? I've been curious to see the progress on the demolition. Thankfully that eyesore is shut down.

Hwy 12 in Utah is amazing. Capital Reef is one of the most under appreciated National Parks in my opinion. Most people just drive/ride through and don't bother stopping to explore.

We're going to be out there in October. Really looking forward to finally getting back on the bike and riding more than just around Houston.

Looks like you had a great ride. Although I've ridden all those areas I don't think I have anything else to add that you could have seen in that short time frame. However, if you have more time in the future...
:sun:

Did you get any photos of the power plant in Page? I've been curious to see the progress on the demolition. Thankfully that eyesore is shut down.

NGS and Kayenta Mine payments in 2012 accounted for about a quarter of the Navajo Nation's revenues, and 65% of the Hopi Tribe's revenues. Native American tribal members, mainly Navajo, make up 83% of plant employees and 93% of mine employees, resulting in about 850 direct tribal positions. By 2020 the plant and mine had been expected to generate more than 2,100 indirect jobs for the Navajo Nation alone

So yes, your eyesore is gone (the stacks came down last year), along with the livelihoods of thousands of people with little to no alternative employment on the Nation, and certainly nothing alternative that would pay as well.

Did you by-pass North Rim GC and Zion? You were oh so close...
We considered Zion; skipped GC on purpose this trip, but Zion was in possible play. However, we got word that there were 200-300 cars lined up to enter Zion so we decided to stay away. Apparently, in the best example of efficiency, there was only one (single) person at the park entrance so... 🤦‍♂️

To be perfectly honest, I felt Bryce was a better experience than GC (I visited the North rim in the past). Somehow I felt more in the park vs. next to the park 🤷‍♂️

yep I'm heading their very soon... Have been camping and riding there since 1995. Certainly recognize your nice photos. BTW, Zion as Mopab is often a cluster. Gotta take a risk at end of season or way early (e.g,.snow)

So yes, your eyesore is gone (the stacks came down last year), along with the livelihoods of thousands of people with little to no alternative employment on the Nation, and certainly nothing alternative that would pay as well.
economics of power plants and their competitiveness rules everything still. To think otherwise is missing the real market constraints on the business. I live it real time here in TX where the coal plant finally shut down due to economic constraints, which included the costs of many mesothelioma court loses. Keep paying for those dead dudes if we can still make a buck off the community, stock's going up boys! I could not believe how the Bush clan helped sell out my community for 30 years when I moved here. Kind of like the Sacklers who killed my son. They should never visit Texas and probably won't.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was baited, shared truth; I hate politics. Now I have to wonder how fun that Triumph had to be on the trip. I had the 800 Tiger and it was close to the perfect bike.

Sorry, I was baited, shared truth; I hate politics. Now I have to wonder how fun that Triumph had to be on the trip. I had the 800 Tiger and it was close to the perfect bike.
It was, in fact, really fun! I had ridden my V-Strom 650 to Colorado and New Mexico few times. Other than stock seat comfort (which the Strom also failed) the difference was kind of dramatic. Definitely more power (this Tiger is basically a liter bike in a 650 body, weighs pretty much the same as my Strom did). But the electronics stuff really shone too: the cruise control, rain mode when it was dicey (I find it great)…

I really would like to ride one. I rode my 800 streetie to CA, Oregon and back to Texas in the worst weather I'd experienced on the way back and it was perfect even being a 2012 without all the modern electronics. It did everything my GSA's do but of course did not have the beloved GSA rack :-) I can only imagine how fun the 900 is.

No politics was ever discussed by me.

I simply asked a question.

No topic baiting.

Nothing nefarious.

Simply asked an innocent question about the power plant and photos.

Normally when we're out in that area we take 2000-5000 photos. Thought maybe he had taken photos around Page.

Thanks again for posting the ride report. Always love hearing/reading/seeing ride reports from that area.

Back