• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thanksgiving Big Bend Ride

Reaction score
Putting feelers out there. Anybody up for a 4-5 day Big Bend DS ride. Prefer lighter bikes as I keep an above average pace and will be seeking out the OHV Jeep trails. Plan is to stealth camp.

Putting feelers out there. Anybody up for a 4-5 day Big Bend DS ride. Prefer lighter bikes as I keep an above average pace and will be seeking out the OHV Jeep trails. Plan is to stealth camp.

Not this year, but I’ll confirm that it can be nice down there at that time of year. We went last year at Thanksgiving. Be safe and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A group of riders and I that did the NMBDR together will be there Nov 25 - 29. But we will be on adventure bikes and some of us will have family members with us. Hike and Ride trip for us. Will be staying in Terlingua. Some at RV park and others at Chisos Mining Co. https://motelsbigbend.com/ If you end up going stop by and say hi.
IMG_3496.JPG

What is your definition of 'stealth camping'? I'm not going to come across you camping on private property without permission am I? I see you are new here, and don't want to presume the worst. There are no OHV Jeep trails in Big Bend. The parks both have public unpaved roads and designated campsites.

What is your definition of 'stealth camping'? I'm not going to come across you camping on private property without permission am I? I see you are new here, and don't want to presume the worst. There are no OHV Jeep trails in Big Bend. The parks both have public unpaved roads and designated campsites.
was thinking the same about the OHV trails. None that I know of. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE Big Bend but I did a small bike ride there and other than Black Gap it was not challenging enough to keep that smile on my face. It's more of a challenge on the larger adventure bikes. And the beauty of the place is just heavenly! Have not done BBSP but have heard that the small bikes would be useful there.

I was last there when I had my XRR. It was a lot of fun.
8688b574c5b5b63145134372c94b57ae.png

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

are they still locked down in that county, they seemed to have a stick up their butts last year blocking all visitors from our public land.

are they still locked down in that county, they seemed to have a stick up their butts last year blocking all visitors from our public land.

There are only 2 pieces of “public land” in the Big Bend area: The national park and the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The rest of the land out there is private as are many of the gravel roads.

Last time I heard, the NP was mostly open. I do not know the status of BBRSP. But everything else down there is private land.

It’s your government blocking your access to these parks, not the locals.

State park is open, but they sent out a notice the Sauceda ranger station will be closed for a week or so. A couple of rangers got the Covid. You have to register at the the Fort outside of the park, and there will be no water or services in the center of the state park.

It was the county judge.

There are only 2 pieces of “public land” in the Big Bend area: The national park and the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The rest of the land out there is private as are many of the gravel roads.

Last time I heard, the NP was mostly open. I do not know the status of BBRSP. But everything else down there is private land.

It’s your government blocking your access to these parks, not the locals.

was thinking the same about the OHV trails. None that I know of. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE Big Bend but I did a small bike ride there and other than Black Gap it was not challenging enough to keep that smile on my face. It's more of a challenge on the larger adventure bikes. And the beauty of the place is just heavenly! Have not done BBSP but have heard that the small bikes would be useful there.
If you want rougher terrain, the NE section west of Casa Piedra at BBRSP is the place to go. It's not chock full of hair-raising, death-defying terrain, but it's not as easy as the east side of BBRSP. That said, I heard that the west side was closed due to an inability of park personnel to rescue or assist park goers over in that section. It is more remote...the roads, as such, are much rougher and fairly unimproved. Few people go there compared to the more improved east side. The east side does have its challenges on trails like Guale and Las Burras and some specific sections of others, but really all quite doable on a decent bike with a decent rider. It's not the Erzberg Rodeo.

dan, you didn't mention Old Ore Road in the NP. Over the last 2 or 3 years I think it's been getting rougher than Black Gap section. Still, both are very doable by most folks.

On that stealth camping idea...probably not a good idea. I've gone to the area since 1973 nearly every year...sometimes twice. Camping out of a 4WD vehicle or off a dirt bike, I know I could probably get away with it in some specific areas during certain times of the year, but in the NP or SP it sets a bad precedent and possible heat for the rest of us over time. Governments state and local are quick to overreact and regulate for infractions even when they're not that frequent or damaging. The BB area is huge. It's not just the SP and NP. Visit and ride wisely, and it will remain a great and awesome place to go. Sadly, however, it is creeping a little bit toward some hipster action IMO, and I'm not a fan. But that's my problem.

Back