• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

That's a new one - scam alert!

I just heard from a friend that the scam on VIN numbers is related to getting another title issued in their fake name and getting a title loan against it.
I have never had a title loan but wouldn't they want to see the vehicle before loaning money on it?

I just sold my bike on C/L. Went thru all the same BS (VIN check requests, third party shipper, cashiers check for twice my asking price, etc.) most communication stops when I tell them to meet me at the address shown on my advert, it's the Benbrook PD and they have a Safe Trading area under video surveillance. The guy that actually bought it had me worried at first, when he said the ATM broke and changed the meet up to the next day at 8, then delayed that because the bank wasn't open yet, but I took a deep breathe and told him to text when he was on his way. He did, and we met at the PD. He handed me cash before even asking for a test ride. Then he asked me to ride it home for him, gave me his address and said "I'll meet you there". I must have a trustworthy face because I had the bike, and the Title, And the cash! Anyway it all worked out great, we chatted a lot on the drive back to the PD, nice guy even though he's not from around here (well, neither am I). We might even get a new TWT member out of this!
Bottom line is C/L works, just go slow and be careful, ignore the obvious scammers, if you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling - stop the process. It might take a little time but the right deal will come through. For what it's worth - I have had the same problems with eBay and CycleTrader.
Scammers and Spammers - Shoot 'em all and let God sort it out!

And now for the latest...

"Hi,

I’m a poor man currently going through a mid life crisis. After significant thought and prayer God put your ad in front of me. If you could find it in your heart to give your scooter to god (through me), I’m sure he will have a special place for you in the here after. Maybe there is a way to make it a tax free gift since it’s for God.

God Bless

P.S. I would also be willing to trade my wife. She is up to date on her shots and has all but one tooth. "

The funny thing is that the name on the email was Kristin, not typically a man's name :roll:

thread jack warning...

Is there a free site where you can do a legitimate VIN search?

I buy and sell lots of bikes on craigslist, kind of a side job. Most Scammers follow almost the exact same pattern. I only recently had the guy asking for the history report. I told him good luck on that it being a over 40 year old trials bike. Sent him a few ugly messages and have heard no more.

For autos there are 2 that are helpful. For checking the accuracy of mileage on used vehicles I use mytxcar.org. It will show all the Texas state inspections and it shows mileage for every inspection. There’s another site called vehiclehistory.com that sometimes has info.

Back