• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

That's a new one - scam alert!

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
From my Craigslist ad, a potential buyer contacts me via the CL email exchange showing interest the XRL#2.

After the 4th exchange he wants me to submit for a title search to ensure the title is clean. He also insists I use www.vinbikeinsights.com

A search on that site reveals a BBB article warning about scams where a site takes your cash and personal info ... but also gives you a title report that is all clear.

I responded back telling him it made more sense for him to do his own research instead of relying on mine. after all, I cold be trying to scam him.

We'll see how it plays out.

Scammy.

Registered yesterday. Name servers are shady also.

Domain Name: VINBIKEINSIGHTS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2307078720_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com
Updated Date: 2018-09-07T01:30:12
Creation Date: 2018-09-07T01:28:19
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-09-07T01:28:19
Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 69
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Data Protected Data Protected
Registrant Organization: Data Protected
Registrant Street: 123 Data Protected
Registrant City: Toronto
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: M6K 3M1
Registrant Country: CA
Registrant Phone: +1.0000000000
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.0000000000
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: email@data-protected.net
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Data Protected Data Protected
Admin Organization: Data Protected
Admin Street: 123 Data Protected
Admin City: Toronto
Admin State/Province: ON
Admin Postal Code: M6K 3M1
Admin Country: CA
Admin Phone: +1.0000000000
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +1.0000000000
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: email@data-protected.net
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Data Protected Data Protected
Tech Organization: Data Protected
Tech Street: 123 Data Protected
Tech City: Toronto
Tech State/Province: ON
Tech Postal Code: M6K 3M1
Tech Country: CA
Tech Phone: +1.0000000000
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.0000000000
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: email@data-protected.net
Name Server: 1-you.njalla.no
Name Server: 2-can.njalla.in
Name Server: 3-get.njalla.fo

The cunning part was he didn't jump right in and ask for the VIN search ... never has asked for the VIN, in fact. But he waited a couple of exchanges before casting the bait.

That’s a new one for me - thanks for sharing.

Lately I’m skeptical of most CL ads.

I agree with your response. I’d tell him, if your serious then we need to meet in person, when we meet, I’ll show you the bike and title - you bring cash.

Providing any personal info or title info before seems too risky for my blood.

I also learned the hard way, no test rides unless you have cash and I hold it.

Yes I’m one of those rare occasions when **** went wrong!
I was selling my immaculate 2015 FZ07 (only 1500 miles on it), and the first potential buyer showed up, said yea I’ve ridden bikes before. He wanted to go around the block.

15 min later I see him pushing it down the street on his way back!

The ******* nailed it after the first corner out of sight and went right into the ditch.

Man I was pissed! Luckily only bent bars and snapped off turn signal, broke mirror, cracked plastic radiator guard.

Bike had never been dropped before!
(Pissed!!!!) I cursed at him, then he offered to pay repairs. What can I say?

So I ask him to pull out a credit card and we ordered the OEM parts from RMATVMC on the spot with delivery to my house on his CC.

After I calmed down I kinda felt a little sorry for him when I saw the bleeding cut on his neck. He also sprained his wrist.

So now I’m thinking “oh ****, this dude may try to sue me? For DR bills”

But he ended up being honorable about it, he knew it was his fault.

So lesson learned!

So Folks - no test rides without holding cash and then I need to see a cycle endorsement on DL and then with the understanding that you drop it you bought it.

Take it from me - **** happens!

This is how it came back, thank God it was mostly just mud and cleaned up nice. Once I put new parts on!

0e983b95a374e4afdb24259261b0c7ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Take it from me - **** happens!

Thanks for sharing ...

I made that mistake once as well.
I let a green, rookie rider ride one that I had for sale.
Fortunately and luckily, he didn't have a chance to wreck it.

It was stupid of me to do so on several levels.
He responded in another place that it was clapped out ... like he would know.
What kind of Jr. High antics is that?

Anyway it all worked out for the best.

As a seller you gotta be careful of the idiots.

Had something similar on my Harley I have on CL- "Hi, is it still for sale?" "Yup" "The title's clean?" "Yup, never been crashed." "Ok, can you run a free report on <somescamsite>.com and send me the result? I want to make sure it's clean." *delete thread*

Thanks for sharing ...

I let a green, rookie rider ride one that I had for sale.
Fortunately and luckily, he didn't have a chance to wreck it.

It was stupid of me to do so on several levels.
He responded in another place that it was clapped out ... like he would know.
What kind of Jr. High antics is that?

Anyway it all worked out for the best.

As a seller you gotta be careful of the idiots.

What a dip wad! I hate that other place and will never go there again.
Too funny!
:rofl:

I'll let a bike set and rot in my garage before dealing with cl . My tolerance level for bs is zero

I still am not sure what this scam is .... stealing credit information off of fake vin check website?

Craigslist still rules..... where else to see so much stuff for sale .... even Www.autotrader.com has a minimum charge for small ad.... cycle trader.com came back around with a small, short term ad for free once all their business went to Craigslist .

I've messed with three scammers today. They usually quit when I say " cash talks "

I still am not sure what this scam is .... stealing credit information off of fake vin check website?

Best I can tell.

Didn't test it.

LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EnduroRdr. That could have gone bad in so many more ways as you mentioned. You might not admit it but your living life right :thumb:

I actually had a guy send me a real looking check. It was a check printed on check security paper (like the quickbook check you buy and print on your own printer). I called the bank and the issuing company (who he claimed he worked for)... everything was forged and the bank and that company had to deal with this scammer for the last few month. The scammer even threaten to have me arrested for being a scammer.

I just sold a bike to a legitimate foreigner buyer looking to export my bike. He doesn’t speak or write English very well and much of the email translation sounded fishy. He finally found a friend who was good in English and helped translated his emails and eventually made a phone call on his behalf. I delivered the bike to him for a fee and collected the payment in cash.

From my Craigslist ad, a potential buyer contacts me via the CL email exchange showing interest the XRL#2.

After the 4th exchange he wants me to submit for a title search to ensure the title is clean. He also insists I use www.vinbikeinsights.com

A search on that site reveals a BBB article warning about scams where a site takes your cash and personal info ... but also gives you a title report that is all clear.

I got something like that from CL last week too. I didn't click on it, just deleted the email assuming it was something like you described.

Thanks for posting this, might save someone from identity theft in the future.

Thanks for sharing ...

Not quite the same as your buddy falling over on your name KTM with the really odd rear rack which catches his stubby little leg and lets him and the bike hit the cement driveway. But that stuff never happens.:doh:

I know where thar guy lives and he's a righteous dude.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had the same scam on the last three bikes that I've listed on CL. Now I put in my discription, " not interested in trades or VIN searches" and hasn't happened again, yet...

I just sold a bike to a legitimate foreigner buyer looking to export my bike. He doesn’t speak or write English very well and much of the email translation sounded fishy. He finally found a friend who was good in English and helped translated his emails and eventually made a phone call on his behalf. I delivered the bike to him for a fee and collected the payment in cash.

Wow, that can't be a common experience!
Glad the sale worked out for you.
Out of curiosity, where was the buyer from?

I think so. When I was selling the Harley I had a guy do the same to me and we had an email exchange that seemed almost passed the sniff test, then he insisted I run a VIN check and sent me a link. I told him how about you come look at the bike first before we go that far and he was insistent.

Back