• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY The “Serve Yo’self” Get Together, 30apr22

QUESTION:​

Are bluebonnets toxic to cattle?

ANSWER:​

There are six species native to Texas that are known as bluebonnets (all designated as the Official State Flower): Lupinus subcarnosus, L. texensis, L. havardii, L. concinnus, L. plattensis, and L. perennis. In general, many species of Lupinus are called bluebonnets and most of those are considered toxic. In particular, the seeds are the culprits with high levels of alkaloids. Lupinus latifolius (broadleaf lupine) and the alkaloid anagyrine contained in its seeds (when eaten by a pregnant cow) is implicated in causing crooked calf disease. The Canadian Poisonous Information System lists symptoms of poisoning by Lupinus sericeus (silky lupine) for cattle, sheep, and horses. Montana Plant Life lists Lupinus arbustus ssp. calcaratus (longspur lupine) and Lupinus argenteus (silvery lupine), as well as L. sericeus, as having poisonous leaves and seeds.
L. perennis (listed as toxic by the Poisonous Plants of Pennsylvania database) is the only member of the genus native to Louisiana or Texas specifically designated as poisonous.

In fact, the Texas Toxic Plant Database, based on the book, Toxic Plants of Texas by Charles R. Hart and others from the Texas Cooperative Extension Service of Texas A&M University, does not list any lupines at all.

This suggests that poisoning by lupines in Texas and Louisiana (which share many of the same species of Lupinus) is not a serious problem. Nevertheless, Poisonous Plants of North Carolina lists all Lupinus species as toxic if large quantities of seeds are eaten.

If cattle are kept in an area where there is little forage except bluebonnets with many mature seed pods, there could be serious concern about risk of poisoning.

That would be a Cryin Shame to kill'em off. Maybe you could teach the cattle to graze & drink on the other side of the tank until their gone..:eat3:Or not...
Typically wild flowers like poor soil. I could not bring my self to spray them with a weed killer. I did start putting liquid fertilizer down and 5 years later there are only a few clumps left. Still gives me some flowers but hay production is way up.

Cattle and horses hate the taste and won't eat them and they've been coexisting with bluebonnets in the wild since the Spaniards brought them over. But, goats and sheep will chow down on them with no ill effects.

Cattle and horses hate the taste and won't eat them and they've been coexisting with bluebonnets in the wild since the Spaniards brought them over. But, goats and sheep will chow down on them with no ill effects.
This seems logical, but we’ll wait till we hear from the newly formed “ministry of truth” in the biden administration before we believe anyone about anything. 😂. Is there a button you press to get them to review a post? 🤔

I think goats can almost eat everything with no ill effect.

What is a weed? Just some plant that somebody doesn’t want, so most bluebonnets aren’t weeds. :P

"A weed is a plant considered undesirable in a particular situation, "a plant in the wrong place". Examples commonly are plants unwanted in human-controlled settings, such as farm fields, gardens, lawns, and parks. Taxonomically, the term "weed" has no botanical significance, because a plant that is a weed in one context is not a weed when growing in a situation where it is wanted. In the same way, volunteer crops (plants) are regarded as weeds in a subsequent crop. The term weed is also applied to any plant that grows or reproduces aggressively, or is invasive outside its native habitat."

Today I get to clean up Growler form the ride! What a mess!!

I will be headed to the high school this afternoon for a memorial tribute for Tate Hallford (see Prayer Requests forum) the 16 year old sophomore friend of my foster son who was killed in a car accident 2 days ago.

Today I get to clean up Growler form the ride! What a mess!!

I will be headed to the high school this afternoon for a memorial tribute for Tate Hallford (see Prayer Requests forum) the 16 year old sophomore friend of my foster son who was killed in a car accident 2 days ago.
Sorry for your loss.

I have been sharing the wisdom of your Uncle back home to the hung-over people I have encountered this week. I think I have convinced at least one person to give up sleeping.

I have been sharing the wisdom of your Uncle back home to the hung-over people I have encountered this week. I think I have convinced at least one person to give up sleeping.
:) - You're going to gain lots of "gems" like that on your tour of the Celtic Hinterland. Drive safely over there and watch out for the Bloods and the Crips lurking in the fields in Kerry!

Hey folks!

How about a “non-rally”? No t-shirts, no catered dinner, no swag, no official ride hq. Best of all, no fee.

Stay where you want, eat where you like, ride to your heart’s content.

View attachment 311269

When: 29april2022 (if you’re free and easy like that). For the rest of us, 30april -1may2022
(This was Little General’s traditional time slot for the Redneck Ramble event. I don’t know, but maybe he’d appreciate something happening that weekend?)

Where: Kerrville and surrounding environs

You might ask: ”You’re not going to coordinate a hotel for me? You’re not going to tell me where and when to eat? Just what are you going to do for this no fee event?”

What indeed. Proven, verified gps tracks/routes. Dual sport or pavement only routes. Rides of varying lengths to accommodate various desires. (All riding is on public roadways.)

JT and I can help coordinate groups, departure points and times. We’ll suggest lunch stops and other POI’s if ya ask.

Kerrville has accommodations for every sleeping style.

Tenting or RVing (Schreiner park or the KOA come to mind)

Hotels From The YO Ranch Hotel, Hampton or Holiday Inn to the more budget friendly, but still clean and quiet Lone Star Inn, KVL has plenty to choose from.

Resorts make it a whole family affair and stay at a full service resort like Yogi Bear’s Jellystone (on the Guadalupe River, yet right in town.)

Google away and find something that suits you!

I assume we might want to all meet at a restaurant, and that can be decided and planned ad hoc.

Let’s use this thread for discussion and planning.

Well? What say you?

I especially look forward to hearing from the folks who have been asking for a spring time Hill Country ride!

View attachment 311270
Enough talk Let’s ride!

Wish I could have been there. I was out of town. Hopefully I can catch up with everyone on the next ride ! ! !

Back