• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The $1500 jigsaw puzzle: Or the only way I can afford a KTM

Great job Jason, after having a klr, I think the 250 is the way to go.:sun:

I was really suprised by the power of this little guy. Wheelies are no problem, just give it an hand full of throttle and the front end wants to come up.

On that first ride there was a KTM 450exc out there and in a flat out drag race from one end to the other, the 250 hangs right with him. I expected him to just walk away, but I was right there, not gaining, not loosing

On that first ride there was a KTM 450exc out there and in a flat out drag race from one end to the other, the 250 hangs right with him. I expected him to just walk away, but I was right there, not gaining, not loosing

He must have been sandbagging.. :lol2:

SX models from KTM, or R models from the big four will amaze you how fast they really are compared to a woods version. Ed's old CRF450r was night and day different compared to my WR450. My 450 didn't stand a chance when it came to power compared to his.

Very nice! Must feel great after waiting to get it going for so long!

So what is your total investment? Other than taking a year to put it together.

I estimate I've got just over $2k in it. Probably something like $2100 - $2200. Which is cheaper than I could have bought one and had suspension work done to it for. About $100 of the cost was do to intaller error and having to replace a clutch hub and lock washer twince. :doh:

Very nice! Must feel great after waiting to get it going for so long!

It did feel great! the firt time I heard it fire up was like music, and then the first ride was better than I expected.

Speaking of "feel", the last dirt bike i rode was my xr400, and this thing feels twitchy compaired to that :lol2:

Super job, I just know if I had a motor spread out all over the table, some one would have cut a piece of wood with the table saw close by, Congrats on getting her done.

Super job, I just know if I had a motor spread out all over the table, some one would have cut a piece of wood with the table saw close by, Congrats on getting her done.

Thanks, and thankfully I'm the only one in the house that uses tools :lol2: and no table saw. I'm just glad I didn't bump it doing something else and knock a bunch of stuff on the ground

Looks great! That sense of accomplishment is a good feeling.

Seeing the parts spread out reminds me of a transmission repair long ago on a race bike. The replacement gears took a month to get here, so I had laid out gears, clips, bushings and shift forks in order on egg flats. Both shafts were completely apart. The lady of the house in an effort to tidy up my work space dumped both flats together into a three pound coffee can. Both shafts were the same diameter, so the puzzle was challenging.

Both her and the bike are long gone. I miss that bike. ;-)

Looks great! That sense of accomplishment is a good feeling.

Seeing the parts spread out reminds me of a transmission repair long ago on a race bike. The replacement gears took a month to get here, so I had laid out gears, clips, bushings and shift forks in order on egg flats. Both shafts were completely apart. The lady of the house in an effort to tidy up my work space dumped both flats together into a three pound coffee can. Both shafts were the same diameter, so the puzzle was challenging.

Both her and the bike are long gone. I miss that bike. ;-)

this guy had the transmission out and taken apart, and had a print out of the parts break down with the stuff needed circled. I opted to buy a complete good transmission off ebay, because i wasn't confident I could get it back together correctly :lol2:

Oh yea, a DSLR will outdo an camera phone, but the current crop of cameras in phones are pretty sweet, and will take some nice photos. I'm just saying that the excuse of camera phones for crappy photos is going out the window. :mrgreen:

He wasn't talking about a DSLR. Even a $100 point and shoot still takes much better pics then any phone will. The lens is much more important that the amount of megapixels for image quality. I have yet to see a camera phone take what I would even consider a decent pic much less a good one. But everyone has his own standards.

Jason, It's great to see the bike running, but be careful with that hip of yours it's not fully healed yet!! Hope to see you on a ride soon.. :rider:

Gary

He wasn't talking about a DSLR. Even a $100 point and shoot still takes much better pics then any phone will. The lens is much more important that the amount of megapixels for image quality. I have yet to see a camera phone take what I would even consider a decent pic much less a good one. But everyone has his own standards.
Dang dude, you pulled a thread from February for that? I'm well aware of all of that, spent quite a bit of time around lots of cameras myself. However, I was only saying that the excuse of having a blurry dark photo because it's a "Camera phone" doesn't apply. Current camera's in phones might not produce stellar images, but you can get pictures in focus with correct lighting. That's all.

Dang dude, you pulled a thread from February for that? I'm well aware of all of that, spent quite a bit of time around lots of cameras myself. However, I was only saying that the excuse of having a blurry dark photo because it's a "Camera phone" doesn't apply. Current camera's in phones might not produce stellar images, but you can get pictures in focus with correct lighting. That's all.

My old BB was terrible in anything but perfect light. And movement ..... fuggedaboudit.
My new BB is actually pretty good, and when I get my iPhone I'm expecting that one to be great :mrgreen:

Only a select couple give a rats *** about the photos. The rest of us are celebrating the young man's accomplishment. Great job Jason!

My old BB was terrible in anything but perfect light. And movement ..... fuggedaboudit.
My new BB is actually pretty good, and when I get my iPhone I'm expecting that one to be great :mrgreen:

Well, all I can say is I've got the new iPhone and it's pretty far from great.

Only a select couple give a rats *** about the photos. The rest of us are celebrating the young man's accomplishment. Great job Jason!

I'm doing the same thing right now with a 4wheeler someone gave me. This thing was a mess, random parts in several boxes. She should be ready soon. What can i say, I like this type of puzzle :trust:

Back