• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

How about the VStrom? Just sold my Wee, replaced with a '15 650 Versys LT. Dang thing is even taller! I'm 5-7. lol Great ergonomics once mounted, but the Bandit is SO much easier to board! I'll be 65 in a few months.

I've been riding the Wee with stock suspension and with the stock seat...when stopped, I'm on my tip toes. LOL I recently ordered a Suzuki low seat that's 20mm lower than stock so now I'm on my toes instead of tip toes...it does help with better control when stopped... :rider:

Thanks for the advice and support all. Love that photo, 1 wheel peel. One good thing is I will be less likely to develop the two wheeled smug mug. Nothing like your bike laying sideways at your feet to deflate a superiority complex. If I should forget, you guys can use this thread to remind me.

dmerc, the VStrom would be an obvious choice, but it also carries a higher resale price do to its popularity. I got my bike for $3,000 out the door – fees, tax, title, etc, and it was fully loaded with hard luggage, and a few other add ons. It had 34,000 miles on it, but looked immaculately taken care of. That's a price point that is hard to come by, and was sorely needed for me.

How about the VStrom? Just sold my Wee, replaced with a '15 650 Versys LT. Dang thing is even taller! I'm 5-7. lol Great ergonomics once mounted, but the Bandit is SO much easier to board! I'll be 65 in a few months.
I don't know if this thread is helping or hurting. If I were to come into some money, a 2015 or higher Versy LT would be on my short list. Now, you tell me it's even taller than the Bandit. I'm getting soaking wet from all the burst bubbles I'm reading here.

dmerc, the VStrom would be an obvious choice, but it also carries a higher resale price do to its popularity. I got my bike for $3,000 out the door – fees, tax, title, etc, and it was fully loaded with hard luggage, and a few other add ons. It had 34,000 miles on it, but looked immaculately taken care of. That's a price point that is hard to come by, and was sorely needed for me.

No, I was asking Rob about his Vstrom because we're both short. You misunderstood. The Bandit is a great bike, which is why I bought mine back after selling it 10 years ago, lol My 1250 is an 07, stage 2, with pipe, decatted, PCIII fuel manager, secondary flys removed, airbox lid opened, and screams all the way to redline now, and only 10k miles on it. It's not all that comfortable for me, but blasting thru' the gears makes me feel young again! lol The new Versys makes me feel old again, when I try to swing my leg over it. HaHa! The Vstrom and Versys are BOTH far taller than a Bandit. I'd stick with what you've got.

I've dropped my Beemer and Tenere multiple times. Always had help righting them. That's even more important now since I'm 72. I've gotten the shiny side up on my Bandit by myself. The Tenere is sold, at a fire sale price. I miss it but it was just too heavy combined with a high CG and a 33" inch seat height. Great bike while moving, always an adventure when moving slowly or stopped. I've searched for years looking for a bike that fits me (thirty inch inseam) as well or better than the Bandit. I haven't found the combination of LOW SEAT (30"), low CG, luggage capacity, torque, power, built in center stand, and wind protection on any other bike. I made a big mistake when I recently bought the Ninja 650. It's light (425 pounds), low seat (30"), powerful enough but it has sport bike sportbike characteristics, especially in not being designed to carry luggage, or have a centerstand. The 650 Versys is better in many ways but it's 50 pounds heavier and two inches taller. That's the same problem I have with the V-Strom. My Bandit only has 22,000 thousand on it. It'll outlast me if I don't tag a deer.

A few years ago, 2007 to be exact, I took a photo from my car of a motorcycle rider on a red bike who was wearing snazzy yellow shoes (that barely touched the ground, I might add). Wasn't even thinking a bout two wheels then. Didn't know what the rider was riding even. When I started looking at bikes, I wasn't thinking about anything over 800 cc, but every time I saw a picture of the Bandit, I would stop and think: "Wish I could find that in a smaller version," because I liked the way it looked. I guess the Bandit and I were on a course of destiny, or collision, as my sore ribs might say. Here is that picture that may have sub-consciously started it all.

IMGP8288 copy.jpg

Just thought I'd post something here; waiting for spring -- in Montana, one really can't go riding in winter. I am really looking forward to being able to get back on the Bandit. I hope that the rest of you are riding as you are able, and enjoying it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"No one gets to live or love without feeling pain, sure, but no one gets to live or love without causing pain, either." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick

Just thought I'd post something here; waiting for spring -- in Montana, one really can't go riding in winter. I am really looking forward to being able to get back on the Bandit. I hope that the rest of you are riding as you are able, and enjoying it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"No one gets to live or love without feeling pain, sure, but no one gets to live or love without causing pain, either." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick
Same here... bought mine back in Nov and barely gotten the chance to ride her due to freezing NY weather; so looking fwd to Spring! Least it gives me time to save and put some gear on her :)

Not to gloat (gloat, gloat), but here in Texas, I think biking is doable all year long. Not that everyone here agrees with that. There are considerably fewer bikes on the road in the winter. I wouldn't ride in the kind of weather you guys have, but I'm fine with temperatures in the thirties. (Probably spring weather to you.)

Not to gloat (gloat, gloat), but here in Texas, I think biking is doable all year long. Not that everyone here agrees with that. There are considerably fewer bikes on the road in the winter. I wouldn't ride in the kind of weather you guys have, but I'm fine with temperatures in the thirties. (Probably spring weather to you.)
Yea... wishing it were Texas temps here. We did have a nice wknd weather, 40s, but felt more like 15/20 when riding. Coming from a Yamaha Bolt, this bike is superb. Can't wait to do some nice touring w/her.

I lived in Alabama for 33 years; that was always year-round riding weather. There's always a give and take; for riding, Montana is excellent - just not year-round!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sad to say I watch Suzy the Bandit roll away from my home and it's home for the last 12 years and 95,725 miles on the clock. But, going to a good home and will be ridden pretty much daily and not abused and hot rodded. The KLR roll out to a trailer last month after 20 years with me and 52,000 miles.
So, for the 1st time in the last 18 yrs, I'm bikeless. Last time this happen was in '86 when I was hit from behind at a stop sign and left in a ditch for dead. Was off bikes for 6 yrs after that due to vertigo from the concussion through a good helmet.
But, life goes on for this 77 yr old dude that the body is trying to fall apart. ha ha ha ha

Attachments

• KLR an Bandit.jpg
    KLR an Bandit.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 251
Sorry to hear that, Andy; I know you wanted to hit 100,000, and I wish things had worked out that way. I hope you keep your chin up, and continue to be an inspiration to the rest of us. I am 62, but have slowed down a lot.

Take care of yourself, friend.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I've lost nearly 600 lbs. since I stopped exaggerating.

Hey folks, quick question here.

Looking to find either a head lift stand (preferable) or a mod for attaching spools (for track stand) onto my 1250. Been combing the web with no luck. Even bought a vortex brand head stand - rested under the upper cowling instead of lifting from the triple tree (about three inches of travel before it would have lifted from the triple tree). For now it has the original fairings but I plan to streetfighter it over the summer, which would eliminate this question entirely. Just in case that doesn’t happen, any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Achesley, I've enjoyed your post for years. I still have my 09 Bandit (24,500) and 09 KLR ( 12,000) but their days are numbered. No way I'll wear either one out since I'll be 73 in a month or so. You had good times with your bikes. I hope your Corvette and fishing boat will fill the void well.

Hey folks, quick question here.

Looking to find either a head lift stand (preferable) or a mod for attaching spools (for track stand) onto my 1250. Been combing the web with no luck. Even bought a vortex brand head stand - rested under the upper cowling instead of lifting from the triple tree (about three inches of travel before it would have lifted from the triple tree). For now it has the original fairings but I plan to streetfighter it over the summer, which would eliminate this question entirely. Just in case that doesn’t happen, any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Pit bull. Not something I use a lot, but my brother has one and I bought the pin for the Bandit. Flawless.
12379d20c6ade76451c6488f34a932b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit bull. Not something I use a lot, but my brother has one and I bought the pin for the Bandit. Flawless.

reply - do you have to loosen or remove the fender cover or the upper cowling for it to work? And is there an insert or something that should be in the bottom hole of the triple tree for the pin to fit into? I have a 24mm hole to fill there, have seen like a bushing insert in some bikes - is this common? Thanks

No, it was super close fit for the pin to clear the fender to get it in the hole, but I didn’t have to remove the fender. I was rebuilding forks during this pic, so I removed it after the front end was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to say I watch Suzy the Bandit roll away from my home and it's home for the last 12 years and 95,725 miles on the clock. But, going to a good home and will be ridden pretty much daily and not abused and hot rodded. The KLR roll out to a trailer last month after 20 years with me and 52,000 miles.
So, for the 1st time in the last 18 yrs, I'm bikeless. Last time this happen was in '86 when I was hit from behind at a stop sign and left in a ditch for dead. Was off bikes for 6 yrs after that due to vertigo from the concussion through a good helmet.
But, life goes on for this 77 yr old dude that the body is trying to fall apart. ha ha ha ha
Haven't logged on for awhile I didn't expect to see this post. I've enjoyed your post and inspiration Andy. From a fellow Marine -Oorah!

Still remembering the miles and smiles and changes to travel mode on my '07 Bandit. Was going through luggage pics and decided to post the changes as you get use to traveling. It was an enjoyable 95 plus thousand miles before the new owner rode away on it a few months back.
Luggage starting off for a few days in Arkansas , to a Colorado trip, to a Canada trip and finally a Givi set up.

Bandit in Ak.jpg
06jul09 002.jpg
Suzy at Junction.JPG
Durant, Ok 5.JPG

This reminds me that I never take pictures; it would be nice to have more documentation and more memories about some of the rides I have taken. Good on ya, Andy!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Don't grab my ears, I know what I'm doing.

Still remembering the miles and smiles and changes to travel mode on my '07 Bandit. Was going through luggage pics and decided to post the changes as you get use to traveling. It was an enjoyable 95 plus thousand miles before the new owner rode away on it a few months back.
Luggage starting off for a few days in Arkansas , to a Colorado trip, to a Canada trip and finally a Givi set up.

View attachment 266586View attachment 266588View attachment 266589View attachment 266590
Hi Andy...I've been away a spell too..Glad to see you have moved the bike(s) on..Sorry to hear you had to...At least you walk away under your own power and free will...I miss my Bandit as well but a deal came up that i could not refuse...just 300 miles from home and delivered to my door...My 3rd ST1100 and all farkled how i want it ...Good luck and take care..

Back