• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 99 and 1 Project (charity)

Reaction score
Ok, this is the official launch of the 99 and 1 Project. Posting it here first! Please feel free to copy/paste the text below and share it. I'm hoping if folks share it, it will go a little viral and we can really raise some money for charity. This started as a list of places I might substitute instead of going to the vendor locations on the Grand Tour of Texas list. It quickly grew and got out of hand, and now I have a list of 99 places to go in Texas, and one that ain't. This is just a charity deal, no registration, no prizes, no awards, just a list of places you might wanna ride your motorcycle to in exchange for a donation to a charity of your choice. I don't intend for this to compete with or criticize the Grand Tour, but if we can raise some money for kids at Christmas, well I ain't holding back on doing that. And with that....here goes nuthin'!

======

99 Places to Go in Texas...and 1 That Ain't!

Hello! I'd like to invite you to participate in a charity drive this holiday season called the 99 and 1 Project. I have located and marked 99 places in Texas that are unique, quirky, remote, and that are intended to give our fellow Texans a reason to get out and explore the state. There's also 1 bonus spot that was just across the Texas state line...but still worth including.

I've marked them on Google Earth and saved them in a file that can be opened in either the desktop app or from the online version. I'm asking folks to make a donation to a charity, and in exchange I will send you the file. You take it from there, whether its touring on your motorcycle, riding with a cycling group, for photography, history, or just as an excuse to get out of the house. There are no fees, prizes, sponsors - no strings attached. Just Texans being generous, and a map of some interesting spots.

So here's how it works. Make a donation to a charity of your choice. I'd prefer it be to a Texas based organization that helps children, but the choice is yours. Take a screenshot of proof of the donation and email it to 99and1Project@gmail.com. Please make sure your screenshot/email includes the organization and amount, so we can track the impact the project has made. I'll send you the file with instructions on how to open it in Google Earth. Do NOT send anything with your credit card or bank information. I don't want it! I will NOT sell, give, share, distribute, or circulate your email address. I will NOT post your name or email address anywhere.

I am setting up a website to track the amount of donations made and to share info and pictures of the various places folks visit throughout the year. I'll include the website with the email as well.

Finally, PLEASE share this with your family, friends, and any groups that might be interested in a little adventure in 2022. I hope that this will be a successful project in raising money for charity, I hope you have fun with it, and THANK YOU for your generosity.

Oh the **** rain this weekend…but if Sunday is at all tolerable my wife and I might to sneak out and hit a few spots on the 99 and 1. I could claim completion of a few already, but what fun would that be having not ridden there with her.

For those not too excited about the GTT next year, consider making a donation to a charity of your choice. I’ll send you my list in return, and you'll have 100 excuses to get out and ride. I'll post updates to this thread as we visit them. Should be fun.

IMG_2920.jpg

It was chilly but an extra layer was enough to keep us warm. This run was about 70 miles round trip, so just a quick scoot before the sun went down.
B3831561-AE9F-45CA-9B46-B38907BE6BDB.jpeg

It was chilly but an extra layer was enough to keep us warm. This run was about 70 miles round trip, so just a quick scoot before the sun went down

This is a great idea. I enjoy seeing quirky things like the unusual turd-in-a-tux thing in the background of this photo.

I just made a donation to Shriner's Hospital for Children. I'll be sending you an email soon.

Robert

This is a great idea. I enjoy seeing quirky things like the unusual turd-in-a-tux thing in the background of this photo.

I just made a donation to Shriner's Hospital for Children. I'll be sending you an email soon.

Robert
Thanks! I sent the email with the google earth files. Lemme know if you have any trouble with it.

Myyyyyyyyyy goodness it was windy today, but otherwise a great day for riding. My wife and I went east and hit a few of the spots. No great cafes or eats on this trip, but it was a good relaxing 255 miles.

The museum itself was closed, but we were there for the giant hydrant. Then further southeast until we ran out of southeast. I missed a photo op at a bonus spot that isn’t on the 99 and 1 list but should be. I’ll definitely make a trip back, because that was definitely a WTH was that moment and y’all will crack up.

Not as many bikes out today as I would have expected, and none that appeared to be Christmas presents. All good though, just glad we got a chance to ride!
7B455A80-D6D0-4E6A-BFA2-F24835F0D00D.jpeg
A4D887D6-5FF7-4C98-AFB5-839D86FC0B25.jpeg

It ain’t on the list, I don’t know what it is, but I had to turn around. So, uh, here it is and there we go.

97E72392-79DD-4D25-A127-C55643AB881D.jpeg

Hit another spot this afternoon on a whim. I wasn’t even sure I wanted to commit the time but I nudged my way towards the point of no return, and I’m glad I did. What a glorious day to ride! Perfect perfect perfect weather. My route was uncreative and lame, but again, perfect for a a Goldwing. Cardo unit had Slipknot, Gojira, Opeth, Tool, and Lamb of God, and the miles just cruised on by. 375 today. Hope y’all were able to get out at some point this weekend.

480CDBD9-CAE4-4A79-8306-A32B0BB22EB1.jpeg

9AC392C6-2669-44A9-A92B-3F2C210E22E3.jpeg

Back