• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Atomic 1000 - A SaddleSore to The Trinity Test Site

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Here is a link to my original ride report (minus the photos)... https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/the-atomic-1000.115634/

And the same ride report on the IBA forum... https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/the-atomic-1000-a-saddlesore-to-history.1763/

If you search "Trinity" on the IBA forum you will find more ride reports from other riders which may help you in your planning.

The purpose of this posting is to remind everyone that the April Open House at the White Sands Missile Range is right around the corner. The page for you to reference the most will be here:
https://www.wsmr.army.mil/Trinity/Pages/Home.aspx

It's actually an http site and not an https site so you will get it flagged by some browsers, but it is a legit mil site. April 6th is the next available date. The gate opens at 8 am and closes at 2 pm. The line is normally the longest the first thing in the morning, but there is typically some sort of line up until the gate closes. Make sure you read all the requirements for getting onto the range, especially the identification requirements. You don't want to ride all the way there and get turned away at the gate.

Basic guidelines: 1000 miles within 24 hours including a documented stop (SPOT, InReach, photos) at the detonation site. The parking lot for the detonation site is approx 25 miles from the nearest DBR (dated business receipt) at the General Store in San Antonio, NM, and that's where you should get gas or an ice cream cone or something so you can get a receipt. Certification for this ride is a lot easier if you are an IBA Premier member.

A real challenge would be for someone to do a BunBurner Gold (1500mi/24H) because there is no telling how long the wait will be to get in the gate, and then you can only travel 35-40 mph once you are on the range. Radar detectors are not allowed on the range, but they either didn't see mine or they really don't care. With all the spurious radio emissions on the range the detector is useless anyhow.

Let me know what questions you have.

Will the current government shutdown, should it continue, have any effect on access?

Will the current government shutdown, should it continue, have any effect on access?
I doubt it since you would be accessing an active military installation, but here's your link to email them that question: usarmy.wsmr.atec.list.pao@mail.mil

I checked the Certified Ride list last night and so far only 8 names are on there. A friend in Tucson is planning on being #9 (assuming his ride gets approved before anyone else) so that leaves just one more spot to be one of the first ten riders to attain this certificate. That and a quarter will mean you still owe the barrista $3 for your cup of coffee.

This same reminder is posted on the Iron Butt forum and has had over 100 views. LD riders being what they are, there could be a lot of folks planning to do the ride and not tell anyone until the certificate arrives.

You can also do a search for Atomic on that forum and read other ride reports to help give you a sense of what is involved.

Wait, if I want to attempt this ride it has to be pre approved? Also, it's limited to 10 participants? Is that if someone has never completed a certified ride before?

Does the ride have to end at the parking lot or can I add miles after?

Thanks, Tim

Wait, if I want to attempt this ride it has to be pre approved? Also, it's limited to 10 participants? Is that if someone has never completed a certified ride before?

Does the ride have to end at the parking lot or can I add miles after?

Thanks, Tim

1. No. It does not have to be pre-approved, but if you look on the big list of IBA rides you will not find it listed (yet). You do need to document the heck out of it. Witness statements signed if you're not a Premier member. SPOT or InReach or Bubbler tracker is crucial to show that you were at the test site because there is no way (that I'm aware of) to get a DBR. There was a vendor in a trailer selling merchandise, but I don't know if they have the ability to print you that receipt. The next closest place to get a receipt is at the General Store in San Antonio, roughly 30-35 miles from the test site.

2. No, it is not limited to any number of participants; but if you want to say you were part of the first ten riders to accomplish this, the April ride is most likely going to be your last chance to do so.

3. If you have not completed a certified ride before then you will need to follow the standard SaddleSore ride requirements which does include signed witness statements at the start and finish of your 1,000 miles. It would also be beneficial to get a statement signed by one of the Public Information Officers present (typically) at the site.

4. The ride does not have to end at the parking lot. It can start at the parking lot, end at the parking lot or just be a waypoint during the ride. For me, I started from home, rode to the site, documented my stop at the site, got my DBR at the General Store, and then rode back home to get my 1K+ mile ride. I used a SPOT tracker for that one.

The following photos document that I was at the site and my bike was at the site.

Brian, thanks for the response. I've done enough rides to be in the mile eater track. Also, I do have a gen 3 spot and spotwalla account.
Now it's down to my health. I've been doing 500+ mile rides since July with a hip they say I need to replace, bad fall July 2nd. I think I can manage another ss1000. Also need to make sure I can get home health to stay overnight with my wife.

Sounds good Tex. As others have mentioned in the IBA forum it's not any more difficult than the standard SS. The catch is timing your arrival so that you're not stuck in a LONG wait to get in, as you do want to have time to wander about and see everything.

You'll love your new hip when you get it. My wife had one done in 2013 and it made a heck of a lot of difference in her life.

Alright, alright, alright, with very short notice the stars have aligned for this old man to attempt Brenda’s Atomic 1000. I’m hoping to start the clock at 23:00 in Dripping Springs, headed for El Paso and I 25 north to San Antonio, NM.
I think I’ll miss the bad storms predicted for central Texas.

Y’all wish this old one eyed fat man with a bad hip good luck, I’ll need a bunch of it, yippee ki yea !

Luck, luck, luck. Have a good, safe ride and tell us all about it when you get back. Look for a Goldwing, possibly 2-up, with AZ plates. Rider's name is Ken out of Tucson. He knows to look for you as well.

Weather was GREAT for me last week in TX and NM other than the light misting on Saturday's Pie Run. I hope it works out just as well for you.

Thanks Brian. Notice I called it Brenda’s Atomic 1000, homage to a heck of a pinion.

Brian, is Trinity Site approachable from the east via Oscuro, New Mexico?

GOOD LUCK MR. TEX ! Will follow

My satellite tracking has failed

I abandoned my attempt. I decided to go forth without spot and spotwalla functionality. However, not long after getting my start receipt my cruise quit. I continued about another 40 miles and decided my old hands would not be up to the task. Just got back home. Good luck to those riding on. Tex

I abandoned my attempt. I decided to go forth without spot and spotwalla functionality. However, not long after getting my start receipt my cruise quit. I continued about another 40 miles and decided my old hands would not be up to the task. Just got back home. Good luck to those riding on. Tex
God trying to get your attention? We will keep an eye out next time.

God trying to get your attention? We will keep an eye out next time.
Or perhaps in my case, the Devil. Or perhaps Mother Honda’s way of telling me I need to be a better mechanic. Very disappointing.
I can’t figure why I continue to have spot and spotwalla fail. I use it on my day rides and half the times it fails to track.

It’s tough getting old and struggling with tech stuff that everyone else seems to manage flawlessly.

Tex, sorry about the abort. There's always another chance in October. The only issue is, you never know when the Army is going to say "no more" and that will be the end of it for everyone.

I see that. I believe had I made it there our timing would have coincided, could have taken each other’s picture.
On a different note I need to find some one that is using both spot and spotwalla that can take the time to walk me through my settings. I’m very frustrated. I used it last Wednesday and everything worked perfectly. Then last night it ran almost 45 minutes behind before tracks appeared. After getting starting receipt and heading out, not another track. This is not the first time this has happened. I probably get tracking right half the time. Function test on the Gen3 indicates all is well.

Ken of Tucson...10.40 pm east of Benson. Hasn't moved position. Issue?

My bad, still moving. On the outskirts of home. WOW, tremendous accomplishment.

Last edited:
I see that. I believe had I made it there our timing would have coincided, could have taken each other’s picture.
On a different note I need to find some one that is using both spot and spotwalla that can take the time to walk me through my settings. I’m very frustrated. I used it last Wednesday and everything worked perfectly. Then last night it ran almost 45 minutes behind before tracks appeared. After getting starting receipt and heading out, not another track. This is not the first time this has happened. I probably get tracking right half the time. Function test on the Gen3 indicates all is well.
I have moved your post and put my response into the Spotwalla thread here: https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/spotwalla-updates.119962/

I wish I had the stamina to see the country on 2 wheels (health issues). But, I have pretty much had it after a few hundred miles. You guys are a different breed for sure.

Back