• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The bees are back...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
My first attempt at shooting bees with the Nikon 105Macro today. This 'aint easy.

Thoughts/comments please.

816951804_mXeLD-L.jpg

Would you please avoid posting anymore photos with the 105????? :eek2:

JDawg is looking over my shoulder going.....$890, you gotta be kidding!

He wants one so badly his wallet and credit cards are quaking. :rofl:

Seriously though....awesome shot. I especially like the fact that the bottom/right wing is out of focus slightly.

I'm glad that ain't life size. that would knock you off your bike if it hit you. :eek2:

Well Done! I like that you can count the hairs on the torso and the catch light in the eyes.

The crop may be a tad crowded, but I am nit picking.

Nice shot Scott. How close did you have to get to the bee to take a shot like that. Somehow I imagine you bouncing around with your head and camera in a bush full of bees trying to catch it. :eek2: :lol2:

Sorry about that 105 temptation thing..... You may balk at the price, but you can't deny the results of a prime lens. That was also a hand-held shot done from about 12-18 inches while I was sitting on the sidewalk. I even put the camera strap around my neck just in case I was stung so I wouldn't drop the camera. I really toyed around with the crop but decided to go almost square and tight to highlight the bee instead of the bee and his surroundings. It's no work of art, but the capabilities of that 105Macro sure do shine.

Exif data:
* Exposure Program = aperture priority (3)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/640 second
Aperture = ƒ/8
* Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/6 ===> 0
* Metering Mode = spot (3)
* Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
* Flash = Flash did not fire
* Focal Length = 1050/10 mm ===> 105 mm
* Focal Length in 35mm Film = 157
* Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
* Contrast = normal (0)
* Saturation = normal (0)
* Sharpness = normal (0)
* Subject Distance Range = unknown (0)

Does Smugmug block you from including exif data? Or do you remove it on purpose? I know I had a setting in Lightroom that limited exif data and once I unclicked it (on by default) then I could see it in my exports to Photobucket. I figure I want that copyright info in the ones I post and it gets stripped if I don't have the exif data.

To my knowledge, I haven't done anything to block exit data on the smugmug side. I have noticed some sites display it, others don't with the same firefox plug-in. If you click on the little blue Photo Info directly on smugmug the exif data is displayed in Basic or Detailed format.

Okay, so it is getting to Smugmug then. Interesting. In my case I wasn't exporting it so it never made it to Photobucket.

Does Smugmug block you from including exif data? Or do you remove it on purpose? I know I had a setting in Lightroom that limited exif data and once I unclicked it (on by default) then I could see it in my exports to Photobucket. I figure I want that copyright info in the ones I post and it gets stripped if I don't have the exif data.

Smugmug doesn't put the EXIF data in the smaller versions of the photos that get linked, so it won't show up on here. It will show on Smugmug, though, where the photo is full sized (even if you view it at a reduced size.)

Back