• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Craigslist Thread

Windmill

Forum Supporter
I did the name thing on a title. I just lined the guy's name out, initialed and dated the line out and moved on. Sold the bike a bit later no harm no foul. It was, after all, still my scooter. You might check into that before you get a new title, could save time and money. YMMV
Thanks Doug. The next morning he came back with cash and bought it. so I took 12 K to bank and they then put in a machine to check each bill for counterfeit. Have to pack just to make a sale. That CL is bs IMO. I got every angle you can think of chucked at me.
Taking my Samurai to Taylor car show today and supposedly two CL gentlemen are going to pay cash, I bet both have an agenda. One guy from Ark. wants to give me a grand more than I'm asking if I will hold it till next week. I may be through with CL after this. It wears you out being defensive just to sell something. Then they call a month after ad is gone. Is Samurai still for sale over and over.
Think I should sell for 3500 today or hold for 4500 from 1800# in Arkansas? :rofl:

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. The next morning he came back with cash and bought it. so I took 12 K to bank and they then put in a machine to check each bill for counterfeit. Have to pack just to make a sale. That CL is bs IMO. I got every angle you can think of chucked at me.
Taking my Samurai to Taylor car show today and supposedly two CL gentlemen are going to pay cash, I bet both have an agenda. One guy from Ark. wants to give me a grand more than I'm asking if I will hold it till next week. I may be through with CL after this. It wears you out being defensive just to sell something. Then they call a month after ad is gone. Is Samurai still for sale over and over.
Think I should sell for 3500 today or hold for 4500 from 1800# in Arkansas? :rofl:
Bird in hand. Two in bush.
If someone will pay $3500 now, take it.
It's a 1800# in ark? Yeah no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Whether you advertise a bike through CL, CycleTrader, Greensheet, or any other medium, the risk is the same when it's you and another individual doing a deal. Your option is to trade it to a dealer or sell it outright to dealer or other reseller, none of which is going to give you top dollar. Or you can sell it on consignment and pay somebody a percentage to do the dirty work for you. Yeah, it's a hassle retailing your own bike or car. But that hassle is simply part of the cost of doing business.

Sold a vehicle on Craigslist tday then we met at my bank and was given a Cashiers check that was legit from the buyers bank. My bank called buyer's bank. . Before I would give the title I went to deposit check at the counter. Banker said I shouldn't take it. The check was a cashiers and was legit but was made out to the buyer himself. He wanted to just endorse it to me. Banker said a lot of bad things could happen that way before the funds were secure in my account. I'm not saying it was a scam but I will say from now on Craigslist is cash sale only at the bank where cameras are. The buyer said it was getting too complicated and just drove off. I have my title and paperwork but now his name is on back, so tomorrow I have to get a new title.
Where do I go to get it or do I just say I lost title? Seller Beware?? Anyone see an angle in the way this almost went down?
To fix the title you just need to fill out an "affidavit of fact" that will fix your title.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
But $8750.00 for a used Honda 550 from the 70's is hugely steep in IMHO. For that kind of money you'd expect a spotless restoration. This one has rust and poo on the motor. Looks like they just buffed the left case and tank and put her up for sale. I do not understand folks that pay big money for old crappy things that, even restored, are still old crappy things. Somewhere I think the TV car auction shows messed up the natural order of things. But, all that said, I did like those back in the 70's. That is probably at best a $2k bike. Just saying....

Last edited:
He is about to learn how much farkels are worth on a 2009 KLR. I had 10K in my 2012 and it went for 3500. He will be lucky to get four. I do like the faring off it looks good.
He's offering owner finance. Worth a lot to some folks. I was recently offered $4000 for a bike I was selling for $3000, if I would do owner finance.

Windmill

Forum Supporter
He's offering owner finance. Worth a lot to some folks. I was recently offered $4000 for a bike I was selling for $3000, if I would do owner finance.
I agree but did he give a price he wanted? You ever go to a car dealer and the first thing they ask is.... So... What kind of payment you looking for?

Last edited:
But $8750.00 for a used Honda 550 from the 70's is hugely steep in IMHO. For that kind of money you'd expect a spotless restoration. This one has rust and poo on the motor. Looks like they just buffed the left case and tank and put her up for sale. I do not understand folks that pay big money for old crappy things that, even restored, are still old crappy things. Somewhere I think the TV car auction shows messed up the natural order of things. But, all that said, I did like those back in the 70's. That is probably at best a $2k bike. Just saying....
The 70’s SOHC 4 CB’s can bring quite a range in prices. $8,750 is certainly not reachable imo.That bike doesn’t look that original either. I’m not an expert but the front engine mounting bolts are not correct. And the header pipes chrome coming out of engine are pretty rough. Paint looks good but other cosmetics are not great. Engine paint looks rough too. If it were as described maybe mid $4k, but it doesn’t look as nice as seller described. I’m thinking low to mid $3k. I tend to keep up with these on EBay, as I have a 73 350f, a 74 550k four, and a 75 400f. But what makes someone pay $5k for a “crappy old bike” is they are really cool. And they should be worth at least what you paid for them 5 years from now, unlike my modern bikes. I’ve recently two old bikes out of my collection, a 1966 CL160 and ‘68 CL77. Got a little more than I paid for each. I’m trying to reduce what I have but the 400F and 550k I will probably keep. They are beautiful imo.

Yep.

The 70’s SOHC 4 CB’s can bring quite a range in prices. $8,750 is certainly not reachable imo.That bike doesn’t look that original either. I’m not an expert but the front engine mounting bolts are not correct. And the header pipes chrome coming out of engine are pretty rough. Paint looks good but other cosmetics are not great. Engine paint looks rough too. If it were as described maybe mid $4k, but it doesn’t look as nice as seller described. I’m thinking low to mid $3k. I tend to keep up with these on EBay, as I have a 73 350f, a 74 550k four, and a 75 400f. But what makes someone pay $5k for a “crappy old bike” is they are really cool. And they should be worth at least what you paid for them 5 years from now, unlike my modern bikes. I’ve recently two old bikes out of my collection, a 1966 CL160 and ‘68 CL77. Got a little more than I paid for each. I’m trying to reduce what I have but the 400F and 550k I will probably keep. They are beautiful imo.
A hundred years from now someone will be wanting to buy that 400F. Classic till the end of time!

A hundred years from now someone will be wanting to buy that 400F. Classic till the end of time!
Well, I certainly won't be here then. Hope it gets popular way before then. And there probably wont be gasoline in a hundr3d years. All our belived toys may just turn into living room art . currently, nice examples are 3,500 to 5,000. Maybe as art they will double.

OldTLSDoug

Living the Dream.
Forum Supporter
The 70’s SOHC 4 CB’s can bring quite a range in prices. $8,750 is certainly not reachable imo....
I am sure there is a niche market for these. I just wonder how the prices got so inflated that people routinely put the crappy ones up for sale for enormous prices. I agree old bikes are nice and fun to ride, but the handling and performance can easily be exceeded by a cheap used newer bike. Like an FZ1.

A good example of this is the 1992 GSF400 Bandit I recently sold. I had almost $4000.00 in it and got it sold for under $2k. The market just wasn't there.

The Hondas seem to be the popular ones, but I think they are overpriced because of memories vice actual usefulness.

Of course, I had an SR500 that I just over doubled my money on when I sold it. So it just depends on who wants what.

I guess more to the point when I see them sell a stock 1969 Camaro for like $80k+ I wonder if the new owner will ever really use it. Will it still wallow around and handle poorly and will anyone really care.

The used car/bike market is a bit crazy. But there are gems to be had if you are fairly patient. I love the old CB400 Supersport with the red tank, but I am sure it is as impractical to own as the baby bandit was.

I had a '75 CB400. I replaced the handlebars with stock CB350 bars and it was a comfortable enough commuter bike. I bought it in '77 for $500 and, sigh, sold it in '85 for $400. If we only knew then what we know now.

I am sure there is a niche market for these. I just wonder how the prices got so inflated that people routinely put the crappy ones up for sale for enormous prices. I agree old bikes are nice and fun to ride, but the handling and performance can easily be exceeded by a cheap used newer bike. Like an FZ1.

A good example of this is the 1992 GSF400 Bandit I recently sold. I had almost $4000.00 in it and got it sold for under $2k. The market just wasn't there.

The Hondas seem to be the popular ones, but I think they are overpriced because of memories vice actual usefulness.

Of course, I had an SR500 that I just over doubled my money on when I sold it. So it just depends on who wants what.

I guess more to the point when I see them sell a stock 1969 Camaro for like $80k+ I wonder if the new owner will ever really use it. Will it still wallow around and handle poorly and will anyone really care.

The used car/bike market is a bit crazy. But there are gems to be had if you are fairly patient. I love the old CB400 Supersport with the red tank, but I am sure it is as impractical to own as the baby bandit was.

The red tank model is art imo. And those headpipes get me excited!

Last edited:
I agree on the head pipes, the "waterfall" header is really stylish. These were only made for 3 years, 1975 through 1977. Unique in that it is a 6 speed transmission, cam designed for power on the upper end. Owners seemed to enjoy riding them as many have lots of miles for a smaller cc bike.

Interesting. Being brand new should enhance the value. I had a friend who inherited one about 3 years ago. It had maybe 1500 miles on it before being disassembled and stored in boxes for nearly 3 decades. He reassembled it, drove it for a few weeks, then struggled to get $2500 for it when he decided to sell it. I don't know what the selling price finally ended up being.

Interesting. Being brand new should enhance the value. I had a friend who inherited one about 3 years ago. It had maybe 1500 miles on it before being disassembled and stored in boxes for nearly 3 decades. He reassembled it, drove it for a few weeks, then struggled to get $2500 for it when he decided to sell it. I don't know what the selling price finally ended up being.
I'd buy it to ride and keep.
It's a crime that its been in the crate so long!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hmmmm.......

2001 CR 500 - $800 (Temple)

I am selling my HONDA 01 cr 500 hopefully to a good home. I'm the original owner with title.the bike has not been started in 3 years it was winterize and still has compression needs some TLC from sitting outside. For any rider this bike pure power. The 2 stroke motor offers powerband in ever gear it will stand up 80 mph