• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Just fixing the leaky seals but I watched a video that warned of bushing wear.

I'll give it a go. Most important to me is to have all the replacement parts ready so that I can do it all the way through for each fork. Any delay means lost or dirty parts and brain farts.

I figured I would replace the original brake lines since everything else seems to be old and failing, I was looking for information at thumper talk and ran across the mention of coremoto.com. I was very pleased with the quality, made in California and they make these as ordered, so quick turn around. I even thought the price was decent. I havent installed them yet, but they look good- stainless steel lines and comparable to galfer from what I read. Oh, and they will make them longer/ shorter/ stock. Pretty sweet so far. https://www.coremoto.com/category_s/5073.htm

Last edited:
Definitely check the length on them. I picked up a set that were much shorter than stock and had to return them because there would be issues at full suspension travel. Ended up with a set from Helwig that I've been very happy with.

I will definitely check that out thanks for the heads up. Why Helwig and not core?

Brain fart, Hel, not Helwig. Don't know where that came from. From the time stamp that looks like a pre-coffee post. :D

Oh geez, that's definitely pre-coffee, I must have read your name, looked at something else and then typed that instead of Hel. :D

Sorry, I didn't use Core, but was just making sure that you get the correct length when you order. I think mine were Galfer or something and I ended up returning them. It does seem there are different lengths out there and you definitely don't want them too short.

The coremoto brake line kit went on like butter and looks good, appears to be the same length as stock.
I rebuilt the front caliper as while in there because it wasnt releasing completely and the front line sure was a pain to bleed, I didn't think the air would ever stop, I finally pulled the caliper up a little higher than the master and pumped away and that was the ticket.

Now if I can remember to tighten everything back up and the battery isn't dead, maybe I can take advantage of some of this fine weather.

Seal replacement for the forks on my 2001 DRZ400e has started. Thought I would post up how I am avoiding buying the special tool "front fork stopper plate (suz# 09940-94922). I'm going to use zip ties to hold the compressed (by hand) spring. Last night it failed because the zties threads were not strong enough. Today I found and ordered these HD (50lbs) zip ties:

It should look like this Vespa spring:

dsc00725_29158.jpg

Seal replacement for the forks on my 2001 DRZ400e has started. Thought I would post up how I am avoiding buying the special tool "front fork stopper plate (suz# 09940-94922). I'm going to use zip ties to hold the compressed (by hand) spring. Last night it failed because the zties threads were not strong enough. Today I found and ordered these HD (50lbs) zip ties:

It should look like this Vespa spring:

$35 spring compressors from RMATV. Your fingers and life are worth it?

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 18
That looks like a good alternative to buying the special retainer from Suzuki... but the job is not that dangerous on the drz forks. It's pretty easy to compress an inch by hand. You don't need much compression, just enough to get a spanner on the nut under the cap.

It took 3 zip ties and it's done. Next up is to remove the bottom nut without the T-hex driver special tool. Thumpertalk says to just use an air impact wrench. I've got an electric and it will do I hope.

1706472437732.jpeg

I've done an S and an SM without using zip ties or a special tool. I don't remember needing them. However, my local electrical supply sells zip ties that are 1/2" wide and up to 24" long.

I didn't use zip ties for the forks or the shock. I did have to make a tool from pipe and a large nut to hold the inner cartridge while removing. I don't remember the dimensions of the nut but I found it on TT

Last edited:
DRZ finally reassembled and running great, I am ashamed this got pushed off this long, but it's been a busy last few months and there was a lot to do on this bike. Ready to ride!

I actually used a similar method of the zip tie for my KTM 1190 fork springs when I did the respring recently. I attached two zip ties to the top of the spring and then some ratchet straps to pull them down just enough so I could assemble the top end of it by myself. Doesn't need a lot of tension, but just enough that trying to do it with one oily hand while trying to do all the other stuff with the other hand wasn't working, and the springs were just stiff enough to give me trouble. Thanks for the ideas.

I did pick up the Motion Pro tool for the rear spring though. Worked great and will be nice to have for future maintenance.

Back