• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Reaction score
Figured out this is the vacuum tube that went into the stock petcock. 2019 models they changed it. This is what I found on thumpertalk

1617837789347.png

Reaction score
So I plugged the hard vacuum line when I removed the pair valve. Also plugged the other side of the carb and it's not turning over at all. Not sure on my next move?

Reaction score
Solved it. Adjusted my idle air position a few turns to the right. Started right up and idles like a champ.
check the spark plug....you may have that thing too lean. The four stroke is a fuel screw....for the idle air adjustment...a few turns is alot. The jet kit should have had instructions on lightly seating it all the way in then backing it out a specific number of turns....you really should not need to much adjustment from that setting if properly jetted. I usually have to adjust mine slightly when it cools off or heats back up, summer vs winter.

Reaction score
rshadoan is giving you good advise. A rule of thumb: If the screw is on the cylinder side of the carb slide, it's a fuel screw. If it's on the air filter side of the carb slide, it's an air screw. Nearly all air screws have a set number of turns out from lightly seated and the setting will be in the maintenance manual. It will not vary much from the suggested setting unless there is also a jetting problem. Air screws are accessible from the factory. Unless a bike is over 40 years old, fuel screws are covered by a thin aluminum plate unless the cover plate has been removed. My method for adjusting fuel screws, also known as pilot mixture screws: 1. warm the bike up 2. adjust the idle to the slowest RPM that will keep it running. The idle should be kept at minimum RPM and may need to be readjusted during the next two steps. 3. Turn the mixture screw out until the bike just starts to stumble, that will be a rich stumble. 4. Now, turn the screw in until the bike stumbles on a lean stumble. Count the number of turns it takes. 5. Set the screw half way between rich stumble and lean stumble. 6. Adjust the idle speed. If the adjustment results in the mixture screw being between two and three turns out, the idle jet is most likely spot on. If less than two or more than three, there is a good possibility that the idle jet needs to be changed.

Reaction score
My method for adjusting fuel screws, also known as pilot mixture screws: 1. warm the bike up

This is precisely the right method. Having not really worked on any DR except my dad's DR200SE, I can't say for sure, but on my GS500, which has the same carbs as a DR350, getting it warmed up is critical to getting the correct pilot mixture adjustment. And getting it fully warmed up takes a good 15-20 minutes of actual riding under load. Most improperly adjusted carbs I hear about and help people with result from trying to adjust it when the engine is not completely warmed up.

Reaction score
check the spark plug....you may have that thing too lean. The four stroke is a fuel screw....for the idle air adjustment...a few turns is alot. The jet kit should have had instructions on lightly seating it all the way in then backing it out a specific number of turns....you really should not need to much adjustment from that setting if properly jetted. I usually have to adjust mine slightly when it cools off or heats back up, summer vs winter.
Thanks for your help. Pulled plug. Looks good. I jetted for 3x3 air box and full exhaust. Yet I'm still running stock exhaust. Bike starts and runs SO much better. I feel it's a bit rich. I've got an MRD pipe and can on order.