• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

More progress ...

2KDRZ_11_Rebuild-XL.jpg

2KDRZ_10_Rebuild-XL.jpg

Thanks to this guy ...

2KDRZ_12_DBas-XL.jpg

My latest discovery ... the S and E model radiators have differing inlet and outlet sizes.

Last edited:
My latest discovery ... the S and E model radiators have differing inlet and outlet sizes.

Not just that, outlets/ inlets have different orientation and flow :giveup:
If you want to use the E rads on a S motor, the only change needed is the water neck and gasket, plus proper hoses for the Rad style used. I see nice blue silicone hoses in one pic if those are $125 SAMCO hose's, Id say get rads that match, if they are $20 ebay set, and mismatched from a good set of rads you have, get a new set of hoses that match.

So to be clear
E radiators need: E hose set, E water neck and gasket.
S radiators need: S hose set, S water neck, thermostat and gasket.

Last edited:
DRZ FORKS, any condition, single side or pair, damaged, bent, dragged down the road.

I'm looking for a fork leg to dissect, only need one, but depending on what I find, a second could come in useful.
If you have a scrap one I can get ....GREAT, Perhaps an older style no longer all that useful pre 2003 DRZ400S without compression adjuster, or if you have one collecting dust you can let me have for cheap, well ok.

In the name of Science :giveup:

I'm looking to find a less serviceable part as I am going to destroy it, and dont want to take good parts out of the pool of available parts.

Thanks for your time

Erik

I was mocking up the radiators in an attempt to fab a bracket to mount the fan.
That when I noticed the difference.

The E radiators I have are in better shaped (appearance-wise) than the S radiators.

I'll use the S rads ... they were perfectly serviceable.

No forks on my parts bike.

Hey Jasen, I had a DR-Z starting issue. She would run then die, Mitch said it sounded like she was starving for fuel. So I drained the carb, and indeed, she had maybe 2 bottle caps full of gas and no more. So I turned the petcock to prime and nothing. So, I unhooked the fuel line, and the flow out of the petcock was great. So, I tapped my FCR-MX with the rubberized handle of the 3 mm allen wrench I used to open the drain, and amazingly, she started flowing. Bike fired right up, performed perfectly for a 30 mile ride. She starts right now as well. I am wondering if you have something silly like that keeping your scooter from running.

P.S. I did change and smell my oil, not a bit of gas. There was a puddle under her because I left it on PRIME all night, didn't help, it would only get like 10-30 seconds of run time. She has a new filter (Thanks to you, sir) and is full of Royal Purple. Loves me some DR-Z!

Last edited:
Thanks to this guy ...

2KDRZ_12_DBas-XL.jpg

I had a blast putting parts on Mitch's DR-Z, I am trying not to buy it when he is done, but I am not sure I can pass on it. Of course I could use my awesome negotiating skills.

Thanks for the BBQ lunch, and having a toy to mess with Mitch. And most of all, thanks for taking a picture of me where it looks like I actually lost weight!:rider::clap::trust:

P.S. Mitch, start that puppy up! Should run great. I so need me some S.....stop it!

Last edited:
Pics is what I do. Folks I like, I make them look like Brad Pitt. Folks I don;t care for much, Herman Munster.

I have gifts for you, sir. Suffice it to say, you will never, ever have to purchase a black 1/4 oz wheel weight ever again.

Couldn't find any lead weights.

Some dude in upstate NY had a bunch posted on eBay

Fuel tank was left overnight checking for leaks ... none.

Hook up a few wires behind the headlight, button up the cooling system, set the tank add some oil and hook up the battery.

I'm running out of parts.

She starts, runs, rolls and stops ....

2KDRZ_16_Rebuild-XL.jpg

Just a few bits remain

I'll sell the leftovers to Doug.

Dang, so a DR-Z and parts? Hmmmmmmm..... I haven't had an S on an E frame. I have some spare E-cams and a head....could be fun....

Just so you all know, Mitch is taunting me with the S, feeling a bit weak, will decide in the morning, but I think he is winning.

I think I'll put a KTM sticker on it.

Spare key question ...

I'm having a difficult time getting my head around which key blank I need to order. I see multiple "options" for a genuine Suzuki blank.

37146-01F00 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:C) OPT
37146-01F10 KEY, BLANK (TYPE: D) OPT
37146-01F20 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:E) OPT
37146-01F30 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:F) OPT

How would I know which one? Or does it matter?

Spare key question ...

I'm having a difficult time getting my head around which key blank I need to order. I see multiple "options" for a genuine Suzuki blank.

37146-01F00 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:C) OPT
37146-01F10 KEY, BLANK (TYPE: D) OPT
37146-01F20 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:E) OPT
37146-01F30 KEY, BLANK (TYPE:F) OPT

How would I know which one? Or does it matter?

It matters as the "slots" and or side relief (I have no doubt there are proper terms for those things....LOL) come in different styles.

Match your key to the keys in the pic
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Suzuki-Drz400S-Drz400E-Drz400Sm-Drz-400-E-S.jpg
    Suzuki-Drz400S-Drz400E-Drz400Sm-Drz-400-E-S.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 330
  • Suzuki-Drz400S-Drz400E-Drz400Sm-Drz-400-E-S-_57.jpg
    Suzuki-Drz400S-Drz400E-Drz400Sm-Drz-400-E-S-_57.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
DRZ400s question

My son's DRZ400s has been sitting in my garage. It has not been run since November of last year. I want to get it running again, but don't know if I should just try to start it; or if I should empty the gas tank, refill it and then try to start it; or if I should have the carburetor cleaned gas tank emptied and then restarted.
I had issues with carb gunking up really fast on a TTR125; so I would appreciate any advice.

Back