• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're heading to the Asian buffet now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

44b9905a1d61ea6ae169a4fd5f40afc8.jpg

Cherry popped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One gas pump and no horses to speak of in Horse Springs, NM.

0d10b55d14197ed005e1607c06dee2b7.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere between Silver City and Pie Town.
3e012a2b897cf8e41a6542d4ced8091e.jpg

Look what we found this morning
98cae35011c11f24d36c33334b38731a.jpg

You don't see an upside down bike every day

Sitting in Chili's in Espanola. Hope the big bike guys bypass from Cuba to Espanola. Lots of difficult sections. We did the 3 hard sections, and there are at least 2 sections of the main trail that are as hard or harder (and not bypassed with the easy track!!!)

Sitting in Chili's in Espanola. Hope the big bike guys bypass from Cuba to Espanola. Lots of difficult sections. We did the 3 hard sections, and there are at least 2 sections of the main trail that are as hard or harder (and not bypassed with the easy track!!!)

But that section started so nice. We even saw a cattle drive down the middle of the highway. We got to the hotel at 9pm. I've never seen so many rocks.....I was so sick of rocks that I was absolutely giddy when we got to the sand sections. Only to be disappointed by more rocks.

So can someone tell me which track/route to download that is more big bike friendly? Yesterday we did nine, or was it twenty-nine, water crossings.Twice, because we finally bailed and reversed out.

Makes ya kinda appreciate all the squirrelly lil goatpaths I take ya down back here in Texas huh

But the scenery is fantastically fabulous

Sent from my A450TL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
But that section started so nice. We even saw a cattle drive down the middle of the highway. We got to the hotel at 9pm. I've never seen so many rocks.....I was so sick of rocks that I was absolutely giddy when we got to the sand sections. Only to be disappointed by more rocks.

So can someone tell me which track/route to download that is more big bike friendly? Yesterday we did nine, or was it twenty-nine, water crossings.Twice, because we finally bailed and reversed out.

Here's what we did last year on big bikes. If you're following gpsKevin's tracks, take the greens when you have the chance. We mostly did Blue routes and took a green when we were tight on time.
The greens are all great roads as well. You can even see a nice alt route we took that cuts over to lake Abiqui where the rocks start west and slightly north of Cuba, although you may already be past there.

This will give you a good overview. Just have the map show the Planned Routes and what we actually rode S to N. One day we had to find a welder for a broken kickstand but it should be obvious when we got way off the route and then doubled back.

Long Way Round the Rockies 2016 +actual
https://goo.gl/maps/4iHL6MYgEG12

Last edited:
a9876e0dccecda4bf88744f12bef0902.jpg

When tire changing becomes a two hour marathon
Why is the Mad Scientist photographing instead of breaking out his Baja No Pinch?

Two hours? Lol subcom you should've rode your Tenere instead. 5 minute plug and go without having to roll around in the dirt.

2b1f92e6140d2e9344cf55660ddd7712.jpg

Fire in the mountains
Run boys run

Detour today courtesy of a uncontained fire and high winds.

2b1f92e6140d2e9344cf55660ddd7712.jpg

Fire in the mountains
Run boys run

Detour today courtesy of a uncontained fire and high winds.

Fire's gotta get up early to beat them Queen boys! We got turned back on the first difficult section but made it through everywhere else. 1/4 mile of snowy mud that would've been a task on the big bikes, and a couple of places we had to divert around snow, but really pretty big bike friendly today. Hope you got to see some snow!

61aafac28ec3437d560b92da4cec7bd6.jpg

For tomorrow night in Salida, I highly recommend Quicy's Tavern for dinner. We are eating at the one in Monte Vista right now This and a lettuce wedge is what you get for $12.95.
8bf193434672eac95e880d68b24f2c96.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back