• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Green Chili Dreamtrail Adventure...

That doesn't look sooo bad . . . :lol2:

After I arrived at the Southern trailhead after getting fuel I started up to go find these guys. Probably made it a quarter to half a mile before I decided it would probably be just fine to wait for them back at the road . . . :giveup:

Thanks for the preview! Now I need to get back out there and ride that section.

It was steep ! camara just doesn't show it.

Thanks Vinny, great Video as always. I remember that first Video was the start of day 3, Rim trail South, :doh: the second was the end of dirt at the Sunspot Hwy. :clap:
Not a good day for me, but again, I thank you all for picking me up, again and again. :pound:
Shirley heard how abrupt I was with you on the video and said, "I've heard that voice before." Sorry Vinny, I get grumpy when I ride like that. :miffed: Maybe hearing myself will make me think about my attitude when someone is trying to help me. :oops:
Sam

P.S. Sorry to you too, Shirley.

Hey, Vinny, great videos! Looks like there was a rock or two out there. I don't think I'll be riding that one. :eek: After turning up the volume in the first video, I recognized that tone in Sam's voice :shock: - hope you didn't take it personal! I've heard it a time or two - and to think I always thought it was me....:scratch::uhoh::uhoh:

BTW, just curious - in the first video, after you got back on your bike, it appears you slapped yourself on the head - what's that all about? :lol2: :lol2: Got a laugh outta that!

Glad y'all had a good time and I enjoyed hearing all the stories. Especially those from that day......

Thanks Vinny, great Video as always. I remember that first Video was the start of day 3, Rim trail South, :doh: the second was the end of dirt at the Sunspot Hwy. :clap:
Not a good day for me, but again, I thank you all for picking me up, again and again. :pound:
Shirley heard how abrupt I was with you on the video and said, "I've heard that voice before." Sorry Vinny, I get grumpy when I ride like that. :miffed: Maybe hearing myself will make me think about my attitude when someone is trying to help me. :oops:
Sam

P.S. Sorry to you too, Shirley.

Dont remember you being upset there. Just trying to get up that hill. I thought it was funny at the end of the video; my comment made you all laugh. It was a harder hill than I was ready for :eek2:

Hey, Vinny, great videos! Looks like there was a rock or two out there. I don't think I'll be riding that one. :eek: After turning up the volume in the first video, I recognized that tone in Sam's voice :shock: - hope you didn't take it personal! I've heard it a time or two - and to think I always thought it was me....:scratch::uhoh::uhoh:

BTW, just curious - in the first video, after you got back on your bike, it appears you slapped yourself on the head - what's that all about? :lol2: :lol2: Got a laugh outta that!

Glad y'all had a good time and I enjoyed hearing all the stories. Especially those from that day......

I'm always hitting my head.....I wear a helmet at home.
Sam is the nicest guy I know, always helping and running around. I just had to try to help him; it's a very rare that I get the chance to return the favor.
I'm proud to call Sam a friend.
Vinny

cafe.jpg

...Meanwhile, back at the cafe...

P6280071.jpg

OK, See that little squiggly line that looks like a valve spring?

That right there?

No...no, that was part of my burrito. This one here...isn't that a trail?

Maybe a gopher trail...think we can find it?

Oh sure! No problema dude! I mean, how bad can it be?

P6280059.jpg

OK...isn't this supposed to be that squiggly little line?

Are we lost now?

NO! See where I'm pointing at the GPS?

Uh...yeah, Sure.

Well, that's right where we are. Lost? Pfffft...silly question.

Hey RG...ride up that hill and see if there's anything that says New Mexico in sight or something we can call a trail up there.

P6260032.jpg

You sure this is how we're supposed to break up this firewood?

P6280054.jpg

Morning folks! Nice looking dogs you got there. Say...is there any chance this trail might be shaped kinda like a valve spring?

Vinny.jpg

And..later that day...at the Weed Cafe....

No, no...a little more to the left...oh yeah, right there...ahhhhhh.
JT's stamp of unequivocal burgy approval.

:lol2: :rider:

Awesome! I've never seen Sam floundering about on the ground like that ever! It must have been steep.

I'm just glad they let me ride in front a lot. It gave me time to get in a few short naps while waiting for everyone to slinky back together. :yawn:

Those trails are challenging enough when you can see them! The times I was following I'd usually let everyone get far enough ahead for the dust to settle. By the time I would arrive it seemed like they were almost ready to go looking for me.

Next time the trip will be scheduled during the "monsoon" season. Meaning that it will rain for half an hour every afternoon. This makes things much nicer out there.

RG's photo captions are pretty close to the way I remember it. ;-)

P6260032.jpg

You sure this is how we're supposed to break up this firewood?

Yeah, this was when I was the last one up the hill. I tried a different line; not good. Thought I found RG's valve spring. I ended up facing down the hill with the bike pinning me against the log you see behind me. It took 3 of those guys to get the bike off me. Good thing RG gave me a radio, or I would have had to chew my legs off like a racoon caught in a trap. :rofl:

That was 5 days of great riding, even with the face plants. Good friends, Good trail! And I was never worried about being lost, heck every trail leads somewhere. :rider: Well, except for that trail Wednesday morning. :scratch: Never Mind, :brainsnap

Great write up RG. Very funny. :rofl:

Last edited:
You guys had such a good story it got me motivated to get back out to Cloudcroft, so we did last week.

Fortunately it rained the day before we started and a little everyday in some part of the forest, we just rode in the opposite direction. That made the conditions about optimum.

And we of course did the obligatory Green Chile cheeseburger testing, only Big Daddy's and the Weed Cafe on this trip, Mayhill for the next. And got some of the great cider from the Runyan Ranches.

More Cloudcroft videos HERE-
yt.jpg

IMG_9088.jpg
IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg
IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg
614755_10151192684029892_1459796057_o.jpg

IMG_9006.jpg
IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg
IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg
IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_8940.jpg
IMG_9037.jpg

Man you ain't lying, those conditions looked perfect! I noticed almost zero dust. Thanks for the video's.

I need to go back ! It just doesn't feel right to be in Austin when its this HOT

I am in on this type of ride if we can put together a group. Looks like my kind of ride. I have some class 3 hills to practice on...covered in softball size rocks (Babyheads?), maybe 1000 to 1500' at a 20 to 25% elevation....tricky stuff going either way...but heart attack hill sounds brutal...
Keep me in the loop on this kind of serious dirt adventure ride....Ive got a trailer and can carry another bike or two if need be...

That was a trip I'll still remember when many others have come and gone. Cloudcroft has something for everyone. From mild to wild. Maybe things will settle down enough to make a run up there this summer.

Back