• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great SW Colorado Mountain Pass Adventure of 2010

Re: Ouray, CO Dual Sport Ride, Aug 27 - Sept 2

Us four are approaching albuquerque, looks like we will be in Ouray around 3.

GHT. CAS. Myself and one other.

Is there anyone who is in Ouray at this time that would have a 1/2" drive ratchet I could borrow?

DQ
(405) 642-6998

Day 1 (The "easy" day...)

pict1.jpg

pict7.jpg

pict6.jpg

pict3.jpg

pict5.jpg

pict2.jpg

pict9.jpg

pict12.jpg

Too whupped right now for much commentary...later.

Looks great guys! Green with envy as I type this :) Keep the reports coming in...:clap:

Had a really tough go this morning, woke up it was raining, looked at the radar, should clear in a couple of hours, planned to do an easy ride with Tourmiester and several other guys... Well the weather broke about 10AM, clear and cool, great riding weather, re thought our plans and decided to ride Imogene Pass into Telluride. We're OFF!!!! About 10 miles into the ride a flat tire, rain and sleet moved in, it was all around us, ride on we said, so that's what we did. A couple of creeks crossings later and on an incredibly difficult up hill section several riders, including myself went down!!! We gathered ourselves back up and BAM, down again!!! OK, maybe this wasn't such a grand idea? Got our stuff back together and stopped about a mile from the summit and the wind was blowing so hard it blew Chuck (Bouncingradical) off his bike! :eek2: OK enough is enough... NOOOOOOOOOOO we trudge on everyone else is at the summit, Chuck and I are clawing our way up, BAM Chuck goes down hard, after what seemed like an eternity Chuck comes back DOWN the mountain to where I am waiting, No he has not given up, he's gonna give it another SHOT! Second try fell in the same place, gathered it up again, by now almost everyone has braved the wind and sleet at the top of the mountain and made the short trek back down to watch Chuck and cheer him on!!! That's it, the KLX250 just doesn't have enough power at 13,000 ft. Chuck and I make some trial repairs, reinstalled the missing shift lever, gathered ourselves back up and headed down the mountain from whence we came, defeated and alone but knowing that we would be back in town warm and eating before the rest of the group got to Telluride... Got a call from CAS446 (Chris) while we ordering lunch, they were fixing another flat tire.................

I think this is what ADVENTURE RIDING is all about!!!!

Enjoying the reports...sitting here thinking...you know...I really ride to relax:zen:...just sayin'! Sounds like you guys are having FUN! (?):popcorn:

Enjoying the ride reports, wish I were there, but Craig, explain retirement, with the 4:29AM post?

To add something to the ride report that George was talking about. We left at 11:00 for a short ride we got to Telluride at 4:30 for lunch.....lol We left there and Terry wanted to go back over the pass but we thought it wouldn't be a good idea since we only had a couple of hours till dark and we didn't want to ride down the mountain in the dark...Today was a better day we made it down Black Bear Pass and man I can check that one off my bucket list and never have to do that again. You will have to see chucks video of it to believe it....We have one more day of riding then its back to the real world....

Day 2

The folks here have had a LOT of rain in July and August. There's an article in the Ouray paper today about all the washouts and such from it. The guys that have ridden these trails in years past keep telling us that it was nothing like this last year. Places where the trails were like graded roads are now a freakin nightmare. Guess we be lucky?

Sorry for the delay folks. Got back in just before dark and was pretty well woopped...again. We got a late start because of the rain, spent a couple hours on flats as GHT described and finally made it down Imogene into Telluride.

The trail through Imogen pass is spectacularly beautiful, and in places, quite harsh. A rider from Kansas I visited with put it well..."it's like your in a movie setting or something." Pictures just don't work but that's all we've got to work with so...

At first the trail is forested Colorado. Old mines, cabins, water crossings. Very nice. Some of the morning rain was still around...just light stuff.

First flat...a nail. This team of riders are an awesome bunch.

flathelp.jpg

This old mine is big enough for everyone to duck into if the rain gets too heavy...it didn't. Probably a bear or panther in there anyway.

mine.jpg

The topography changes quick from forests to mountains. This is a pretty cool overhang to ride under...complete with cold dripping water. There's a shear drop of a thousand feet on one side. Remarkably, everyone went with the dripping water next to the wall.

overhange.jpg

Going round the bend. The road is just a shelf between a mountain on one side and the abyss on the other.

hill.jpg

Interesting features along the way...

tunnel2.jpg

As we clime the road turns to loose rocks. I just knew I had a flat tire from the wobble...so did everyone else. Just loose rocks.

road.jpg

At around 11K feet the road turns to rough stuff. The bikes start losing power dramatically in the thin air. The trick in climbing this stuff is to pick the best line you can see, lay forward to keep the front end down, whack the throttle and do not let up unless a big rock throws the front wheel toward the edge of the world or the engine just simply dies...at which point gravity has it's way.

rocks.jpg

dump.jpg

If my camera worked well, you could see two bikes waaayyy down below. This was the worst of both times. Exceedingly rough trail with a rock wall in the trail and extreme incline. A couple of folks just had to call it a day and head back at this point. No power, no air, seemingly insurmountable obstacle...know when to fold em and run another day.

valley2.jpg

The ones who somehow managed to coerce their machines up the way waited as others struggled down below. It's snowing at this point and the wind is bitterly strong. I was glad to have made it this far but I really just wanted to get down off that mountain.

steve.jpg

The pretty part of Colorado is now several thousand feet below. We're well above the treeline. Here, the view is beyond my limited words to describe. But, up here it's desolate rocks, snow, wind and cold.

snow.jpg

About the time that bikes are ready to just plain quit...the summit.

sign.jpg

looker.jpg

Just as we make the turn to start coming down...

slush.jpg

Yes, that would be a snow/slush trail with a drop to the bottom unpleasantly close. Uncommon thoughts find their way into a fellows mind at times like this.

We made it down far enough to leave the ice behind.

me.jpg

That's when we discover flat number two. I've learned a lot on this trip. For example, KTM bikes are solid equipment and in the hands of a skilled rider they'll climb like a goat. They also have rims that do not lend themselves to easy tire/tube repairs. Our high altitude version of a Colorado motorcycle jack.

jack.jpg

This kind worked a whole bunch better, though.

jack2.jpg

After a lengthy repair...on the "road" again.

roughroad.jpg

We finally make it down into Telluride...an interesting anomaly among the mountains. Lunch was great...even at 4:30.

telluride.jpg

After lunch we decided to take a chance on an obscure little map line called Last Dollar Road. It paid off well with an awesome (but way too short) ride. Very nice with a gradual transition from high mountain to dirt trail forests to beautiful ranch lands.

tellview.jpg

aspens.jpg

lastdollar.jpg

range.jpg

Made it in just before dark. A few dings, some sore elbows, a few more badges of honor on the bikes. A great day of riding with an even better one tomorrow.

Great ride report and pix for us flatlanders to enjoy. Have a safe return.

Wow, what a great ride! Nice report so far, fellers; keep it coming. Sombody list the type of bikes too. Is that a plated XR I see? Just curious as to what type of setup they were running, and how it faired at that altitude (just in case I ever get to make it up there).

Chuck, I laughed my *** off on your video, especially when I turned the sound up :rofl: What kinda camera do you have? Video looked pretty good.

Keep having fun guys, and come back safe. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

So, anybody make it home yet, or are you guys still enduring the pain and hardship of riding in CO?

Got home about 3:45, the heat and humidity are killing me!!!!! Had a safe trip back and am already looking forward to next years trip!!!!
Thanks to those that made it... and Sorry to those that didn't!!!!​

I made it back too. I'm trying to figure out why I came back to this Texas heat. I had a great time riding the mountains again and look forward to next year if I'm able to go again. It was nice riding with the group we had and look forward to the next one.

Good to know you guys made it home safe. Y'might want to get together before Wednesday though so you can get your stories straight before you meet the group again. :lol2:

On the way back from Moab...somewhere in the lost desolation of New Mexico between Albuquerque and Clovis. Man..this place just holds the rest of the world together.

The aircard is kinda slow out here so more later.

Had an outright ball in Colorado riding passes and trails with the group.

Did Moab solo and it just didn't seem to work as well.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

roadgoesonforever.jpg

arch3.jpg

bike-rim.jpg

rim2.jpg

Ouray Colorado

1zcVxl.jpg

Spent four days riding in Ouray, CO. We had a group of ~15 people on the first day, which grew and shrank through out the rest of the days. The riding was great and so was the great outdoors. No pictures or film can truly capture the beauty of Colorado, or the steepness of some of the climbs for that matter.

I am placing links to youtube within my ride report of some footage I shot with my helmet cam. This is my first attempt at making a movie, so some of the cuts my not be the cleanest.

We started the first day with some easy passes. First on the list was Corkscrew Pass.

KSdkcl.jpg

It was a smooth ride to the top, starting in the trees, and proceeding to the barren top. It was a good place to learn how my KLX runs at altitude. I lost gears pretty quickly leaving me with only first for most of the time, though it took me a bit to learn how to adjust to the changes.

A shot I really like from the top of the pass.

AYpTIl.jpg

Another

tJ2RAl.jpg

Following Corkscrew was another similar climb in California Pass.

A shot of the group on top California Pass

mdwRql.jpg

Yfpuvl.jpg

Follow the link to view the ride of Corkscrew and California.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnnHWjZQ98

From California we took a loop around to Animus Forks. Which was a neat abondoned settlement.

rJYiTl.jpg

The insides of the houses were a little worse for the wear. In the big one bellow, someone has recently tried to light a fire in the fireplace.

KBaZil.jpg

Before we were able to eat, we had to get up and over Cinnamon Pass before we reached Lake City, and the Tic Toc diner.

aI38Gl.jpg

After lunch we headed up to Engineers pass. This was the more difficult of the passes today, and by far the funnest. We went down a long dirt road with some sites. A busted old dam, which made me wonder how difficult it would have been to build back in the day. Also was a cool waterfall, I had to walk down some steep stairs and a path to get the shot, I didn't think about how breathless I would be when I had to climb back up.

vcXlTl.jpg

HU4MUl.jpg

gxv5Jl.jpg

After the sites, the fun began. It was a rocky climb, that ended in a widing road to the top. I tried to get some video of the group coming up the road to the top, but my camera was full of dust from the dirt road before. This problem prompted some modifications at the campsite to reduce dust build up.

The road to the top.

VUDOql.jpg

The decent down engineer was some rocky/steppy switchbacks to keep you on your toes till you reach the bottom. It was a fun hill, I am just so upset my camera was full of dust.

Follow the link to see the Cinnamon and Engineer Pass footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKbvcomkqs

Full album and access to full resolution pictures, pictures are in reverse chronological order.

http://bouncingradical.imgur.com/ouray_co_august_2010

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Awesome work Chuck, you have just become the Official Videographer for our group!!!! I'm sure that this is the same from the whole group,
Way to go, You done good!!!!​

Day Two: Imogene Pass

To lean out my bike some more, I removed the airbox lid to increase the airflow through the engine, after yesterday's stalling experiences on hill climbs.

The day started off with nasty weather that broke around 10:00 am. We kicked off on a nice run through the woods, mostly puddles and flat rock. We stumbled upon an old open mine and a flat on one of the KLR's gave ample time to explorer and "vandalize" the nearby cabin and mine.

y4ePJl.jpg

SvfN9l.jpg

jnnQJl.jpg

Back on the road during the switchbacks to the top RG took a bad spill. Luckily the KLR bounced left and he fell right. After getting him on his way up to the top, we resumed our climb. We stopped at a rocky ledge and a storm began to blow over Imogene, bringing with it icy wind and sleet (in Louisiana I would call it hail). The icy air would prove to be the downfall of my bike and myself.

On towards the final climb, I went to stop on a hill to the side of the trail when the wind gusted and blew my bike over. George came to help me and the wind was blowing so hard that it took both of us just to hold the bike up against the wind. On the third to last climb to the top, my bike drowned on gas and killed midway up.

On the next climb, which had a real steep section, my bike had some real trouble. On my first attempt, I didn't realize it's steepness and made it about halfway when the bike killed. After some struggle, I returned to the bottom for a second attempt. I gave it all I had and right before the top, the KLX gave up the ghost and send me rolling a little ways down the hill. Terry gave my bike a quick ride and gave the verdict that it did not have it today.

Imogene had defeated me today, but only hardened my reslove for later.

So with my parts that fell off in hand, I trudged to the bottom of the climb to my bike. George and I returned to town and had a late lunch at 3:00pm. As we were being served George recieved a call from Chris, who was reporting another flat at the peak of Imogene. **** the gyro was delicious!

Follow the link for video of the Imogene Pass ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOENp0vtSE

Full album and access to full resolution pictures, pictures are in reverse chronological order.

http://bouncingradical.imgur.com/ouray_day_2

Made it back about 3 this morning.

Awesome videos Chuck! I was trying to twist the chair handle like a throttle and stomping the floor looking for some brakes while watching them. :clap:

Day 3 – The BEAR

We all knew it had to be done but didn’t really know what to expect. Stories were all over the field. Maybe if there had been a common theme. Being the biggest noob in this group I figured if the rest can do it…I’ll give it a whack too. Not sure I slept too well the night before.

Most rides start with a quick dash through the Million Dollar Highway twisties. This is where one side of the road is a solid rock wall and the other drops off a thousand feet or so – starting about a foot on the other side of the pavement.

There’s the tunnel…

DSCN0696.jpg

And this cement cover. Guess this spot had a bad habit of dropping rocks on folks as they drove past.

DSCN0697.jpg

The trail to Black Bear pass is a nice ride and doesn’t offer wheel bashing rocks or engine killing thin air like Imogene does. There’s something to challenge everyone sooner or later. You see, going up ain’t the problem…

DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0745.jpg

DSCN0702.jpg

Once at the pass we get a glimpse of the other side. Very nice with Telluride in the distance…kind of like looking at the city through an airplane window.

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0703.jpg

There is, however, the matter of getting down there. One perfectly reasonable option is turning around, going back the way you came and taking a nice road like Ophir pass to Telluride. Were such ideas even mentioned or considered? Noooo…

We came to ride motorcycles and here’s our chance to do just that. Gravity being the persistent helper that it is, we’ll get down one way or the other.

They say there used to be a sign at the trailhead reading “You don’t have to be crazy to drive this road…but it helps.” C.W. McCall even wrote a song about it.

Let’s see, solid jagged rock on the right side. Sheer drop to the bottom of a gorge on the left. Slick rock trail maybe five or six feet wide with gravel, big loose rocks and sand. Drops left toward the edge of the gorge. Bends out of sight around a corner while going downhill at an alarmingly steep angle. Oh, and there are all those bone jarring rock steps and drops along the way. Pucker factor? Off the scale…

DSCN0711.jpg

DSCN0715.jpg

If anyone had suggested this was pure lunacy I’d have agreed without reservation. But, then again we did come here to ride motorcycles.

DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0709.jpg

bear1.jpg

We had some spills along the way. One rider did a superman-over-the-bars thing and stopped sliding with an arm dangling out over the edge of the gorge. That’s close enough. Riding gear is good.

This is where you really see the character of your team. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of men to ride with.

DSCN0721.jpg

The road on down has some tight switchbacks with loose rocks and gravel.

Tourmeister stopped for a closer look at Telluride and to give thanks for the joy of still breathing.

tm.jpg

This is called Bridal Veil Falls. It’s a power generating station way up on the mountain. It’s also where I started to realize that I’d probably live.

fall1.jpg

A nice view along the way.

DSCN0741.jpg

Back