• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The handlebar thread

35072-purpose_really_tall_ape_hanger_handlebars.jpg
What I want to know is, who is this guy and does he know he's famous?

What I want to know is, who is this guy and does he know he's famous?

His picture has been posted in a bunch of different forums, so I suppose he's gotten the attention he so obviously craves.

At least he can save on deodorant with all that fresh air going up in there! :rofl:

At least he can save on deodorant with all that fresh air going up in there! :rofl:

I'm guessing using deodorant isn't usually on his list of daily activities........:rofl:

Oh slam......I'll never hear the end of that one!!! Just kidding.

But, back to handlebars.....

I saw a set of Renthal's on a Bandit on Jimmy Fireblades (UK) Bandit Wheelie Website. These bars had a separate support bar on top - like motocross bars. What's that all about on a streetbike?

At long last my Renthal Medium Road Bars have arrived today. Spent the afternoon fitting them. It was not a smooth process. Not the bars fault at all as I have not changed the brake hoses etc.

I wanted a set of bars that would take a fair bit of weight of my wrists and the front end. I toyed with getting the Renthal Low Road bars which I see a few fit to their Bandits. I wanted a bit more of an upright seating position. So I went for the Medium Road Bars. Let me say they have given me what I wanted. More upright. My wrists are at a more natural position compared to the OEM bars. I have more leverage on the bars due to them being wider compared to the OEM bars. So I am very happy with them. I will just have to fiddle with the front dampening settings due to the weight coming off the front end as it has now. This is the good.

The Bad and some more good. I can not have the grips. clutch, brake or switch gear positioned so there is no bar showing at the end. See below photo of bars fitted to bike for this "over hang". Also there is a bit of pull now on the wiring into the switch gear. The brake hose is just about at full stretch. So too the throttle cables. This, however, has not affected either the braking of the throttle. When bars are at full lock the throttle cables do not pull and make the engine rev. I will just keep and eye on the wiring and make sure it is not being strained. If it does I will have re-route this wiring somehow.

There is just enough clearance for bars and the tank at full lock too. I think had I have gone for the Low Road Bars that the bars would have just about hit the tank. I will of course not know this for sure.

Also my bark buster hand guard fit but they now clamp in a bend in the bars. They did not on the OEM bars.

I did not want to cut the bars down. So I have "over hang" as mentioned above. I may get a machine shot to run me up some bar ends that are just caps at the end and the rest fitting into the bars. Paint then black and really no one will know the difference. In the short I ride I did this arvo after fitting the bars I noticed less vibration through the bars so may just a cap on the bars will suffice.

Ok now some photos to show the difference between the OEM bars and the Medium Road Bars.

35jzh5l.jpg

11m92y0.jpg

1znvdl1.jpg

What they look like on the bike.

mtm6v6.jpg

2mo74li.jpg

I was able to remove some of the wire brackets that hold the wire to the switchblocks tight to the frame. This has allowed me to move everything on the handles bars to the end of the bars now. Have just fitted the OEM bar ends too with some fuel hose over the bolt and a bit of tape to take up the gap. Then tighten them and they are holding nice and tight.

14sproz.jpg

'snipped ' These bars had a separate support bar on top - like motocross bars. What's that all about on a streetbike?

I went through several handlebars on my old gs1100l trying to find a bend that did not kill my wrists , I wound up with a motocross bar that was perfect for me. I found the crossbar to come in handy as a place to mount things i.e. I had a little tool bag hanging there that I kept sunglasses and gloves in , had a cup holder on it at one time too.

The bandits bar space is pretty cramped for space and as I acquire gadgets that bar mount , I am contemplating fabbing up a variant of this product
http://www.streetline-usa.com/Store/2334/PN-612-0040/GPS-Mount-Adapter-BMW-F800ST-Suzuki-Bandit-1250 [ yes i am an idea thief]
making it longer and wider as a 'dashboard' of sorts to line up the thingys I want . gps , heated grip control , radar detector, power outlet etc

Has anybody tried the 1250FA bars on their 1250S? The look like they are a bit higher and a bit narrower.

another Grip option
http://spidergrips.com/spiderg/

and bar end insert if you have vibs
http://www.vibranator.com/street_bikes_s/23.htm

Ooops - should have addressed it - sorry. I was actually asking CamperJohn.

I picked up the Superbike Gel Pro Grips from Dale Walker (www.holeshot.com) for $12 when I bought some other thingys. They look and feel great......at least to me.:sun:

Get this - stock handlebar from Suzuki - $84. R/L Stock grips from Suzuki - $31. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Here's mine.

acc_pro_grips.jpg

3.5 years and 6 pages ago, sz-rider posted an idea for an on-the-cheap set of risers. I decided to use his idea and post some pics. My setup only adds 1/2" rise, but that was exactly what I needed. My total cost was about $15. Click on the pics for larger versions.

After taking off the handlebars and removing the mounts, this is what one of the mounts looks like.

DSC_8597.jpg

Go to the hardware store, and take one of the above with you (just in case you need to compare).
I bought two of each of the following.

3/4"x1/2" collar
3/8"x3" hex head bolt
3/8" lock washer

I chose stainless steel. Its more expensive, but overall seems worth it.

DSC_8598.jpg

When it goes back together, this is the order. The triple-tree goes between the collar and the lower rubber washer.

DSC_8601.jpg

Don't forget to use some of this.

DSC_8602.jpg

And here is what it looks like when all put back together.

DSC_8603.jpg

DSC_8604.jpg

Very neat and thought out job. Thanks for the pics.
If I redo my bar height again, it will be from a ROX 2 in to 3 in. But that would require a longer clutch line and some serious looking at the wiring to see if it will go there even with rerouting.

Does anyone knows the Dim A, B, C, D, E and F of the OEM handlebars? Just to comparison purposes.
Thanks!!

Back