• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Honda CRF250L Thread

Why all the way to G-town? Availability? I haven't read anything unfavorable yet, but still waiting on the big shootout between the two. The WR is certainly proven on the TAT. Hard to believe some of the distances traveled on such a small loaded down bike. $2300 will buy a lot of motel rooms!

Mudclod, the owner is a friend of a fellow duel sport rider that I ride with, Steve the owner is a great guy and his dealership sells the whole Jap line, plus Can-Am and Polaris. I just call an talk to Tommy Gunn and tell him to get with Steve and get me the out-the-door-price, so far they have got my business. Plus, Steve the owner comes from Wichita Falls where he was in business with Eddy Hill. It's just run like a county dealership with good old boys, and I like doing business that way, ie. some city dealers really suck in the DFW area.

John

I just pickup up my CRF250L yesterday at Central Texas MotorSports in Georgetown....From all I have read on this bike the reports have been very favorable, so for me it's worth a try.

Would you mind taking a look at the tool kit and seeing if it includes anything more than a piece of foam, two allen wrenches and a fuse puller?

Jim

P.s. Just changed the oil in mine yesterday (550 miles). Does anyone know the torque values for the oil filter cover as I can't seem to find them in the manual? I just used the "standard" 6mm bolt torque value listed in the service manual.

Sorry for the delay, I got the same tools you did, thank goodness I own a good supply of extra tools.

John

Just a short report from an owner of a new Honda CRF250L. First let me say that I bought the bike for what it is and not to make it into a performance 250 as many are doing over there on ADV Forum. I personally think that if you ride this bike you will be very happy with it for what you get. Yes, better suspension and more hp are always what most riders want, but this Honda does pretty good for what you get for $4499.00. The bike just runs flawless, with it's fuel injection, it starts instantly and runs smooth throughout the power band. Off road it handles nicely and feels lighter then the 320 lbs. that it is and on the road it likes the 65mph range. I have added very little to the bike, hand guards, bar risers, rear rack, folding shifter, and a Wolfman tank bag and small tail bag. These accessories will probably due it for me other then maybe a skid plate if my rides take me where I would need one. This bike has been in production worldwide for over a year and half now with great reviews from everyone, but it's only been available here in the US since around August 2012. My personal thought is that I got a lot of bike for the money.

John

Well I almost got scared out of purchasing a 2013 CFR250L by the service department who told me that this bike requires 2.2 hrs of service every 4K miles at $90.00 an hours plus any parts. After talking to some buddies of mine that are familiar with this style of motorcycle (as I am not) they assure me that these valve adjustments are really just tolerance checks and pure profit for the dealer. Can anyone advise if just changing the oil every 4K miles will be sufficient and only worry about the valves if they start making noise. I'm buying the bike to save money on fuel so I don't want to be stuck with someone that is going to cost me a ton of money in required services.

Thank you for any help.

David from Florida

Well I almost got scared out of purchasing a 2013 CFR250L by the service department who told me that this bike requires 2.2 hrs of service every 4K miles at $90.00 an hours plus any parts. I'm buying the bike to save money on fuel so I don't want to be stuck with someone that is going to cost me a ton of money in required services.

Thank you for any help.

David from Florida

There is one critically important break-in service at 600 miles where they will change the oil and check the valve clearances - among other things. It costs about $150.

After that, valve inspections and/or adjustments, per the owners manual, are only every 16,000 miles, just like every other Honda. (btw the motor is designed so the cams don't need to be removed to inspect or adjust the valves, most of the labor is getting down to where the valves are.)

The service every 4K miles after break-in is mostly an oil change and overall inspection. Every 8K miles it's a little more involved, change air filter, flush fluids, etc. You can safely purchase this bike with economy in mind. It's an absolutely awesome all-rounder, as long as you don't require spending a lot of time on 70+ freeways.

Cheers,

woozer

Thanks for the information. My plan is to use this motorcycle to drive to work (speeds in the 45-55) range and then have some fun trail riding on my days off. I understand that at 6-3 and 190lbs I might need to look at doing some mods to get a little more oomph out of the bike. Its been suggested online that a power commander, new pipe, and a 13 tooth sprocket really changes the performance of the bike. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks again for the maintenance answer. I hope to pick the bike up on Tuesday.

David

BS, learn to do it yourself, valve checks are the only thing that you may not be able to do and if I did it at 600 miles I would probably never do another one. All dealers what to sell you service, that's how they make money, learn to do the simple things yourself. If you watched them do the service on your bike you will think you paid a lot of money for not much work. I know you are new to bikes, but most Japanese bikes are bullet proof and they can take a lot of abuse and just oil change, making small adjustment, and keeping everything properly tight, will keep your bike ready to go.

John

Mako. I am over 220# plus wear heavy gear and feel no need to perform power mods. They might up the fun quotient a tad but definately not required to have a fun ride.

Yesterday ran about 200 street miles. Bumped the tire pressures to 32psi but then a high ringing noise from concrete roads got transmitted through my ear plugs. I could stop the ringing by just standing. Dramatically reduced concrete road ringing by dropping 4 PS I from the tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information about your experience being 220# and still being happy with the response from the bike. I really hear nothing but great things about the motorcycle and I really looking forward to taking ownership....especially after getting all of the good info from this forum today.

David

Friend of mine got one of these. Sweet bike! He is liking it a lot.

I have a WR250R. The seat height on the Honda is definetly nice for the inseam challenged. Not sure if you will be able to set the Honda up for over night adventure rides where you carry camping gear like I have for the WRR. But for day rides it looked to me like a really nice choice. Will just have to see if the after market yields what would be needed for adventure touring if that is your target. I think it certainly has that potential. The engin does quit have the horses of the WRR. But it should be fine. With the fuel injection on it, I bet it is just fine in high altitudes as well.

Well I've put the first 160 miles on the crf250 and am pleasantly surprised by the bike. Coming from very powerful bikes (an FZ1 and Concourse 1400) I was very nervous about it being underpowered, but this bike runs great! It gets up to speed nicely and cruises at 60mph without any effort at all. I even took it off road for a bit and the suspension just ate up all of the bumps I threw at it. I've only been getting about 55 mpg though. Will that number increase as the bike is broken in. I was hoping to get mid 60's out of it since I plan on taking it to work each day.

Dave

Stubbs Southwest told me to call ahead and I could schedule a test ride. However, they did not have any CRF250Ls in stock at the time.

Wild West let me test ride the CRF250L after I had bought and paid for it :-)

I went to Stubs and saw the L. I also saw the DRZ. I'm not impressed with Stubs. There were dust all over the bikes I looked at. Nobody bother to dust 'em. Like they didn't care. After coming out of a Victory dealer where four guys were hard at work dusting and polishing. I also notice the DRZ in Stubs have scratches on the tank shroud, like somebody had dropped it on the pavement. So maybe letting customers test drive is a very dumb idea.

Just traded my old motorcycle for a CRF250L...wanted to get back to my roots...

The motorcycle I traded was my 2007 Kawasaki.....ZX-14! Interesting to go from 165 horsepower to 20, but hey; the insurance rates rock!

I didn't give up the smile on my face everytime I ride...it's just a different smile for a different reason. Can't wait to take it in the dirt here around Abilene!

Just traded my old motorcycle for a CRF250L...wanted to get back to my roots...

The motorcycle I traded was my 2007 Kawasaki.....ZX-14! Interesting to go from 165 horsepower to 20, but hey; the insurance rates rock!

I didn't give up the smile on my face everytime I ride...it's just a different smile for a different reason. Can't wait to take it in the dirt here around Abilene!
:welcome: Scooter Bob!

Scooter Bob, I think you will enjoy the bike as I'm enjoying mine. I added a few safety and protection farkles, but as far as horsepower and suspension mods I will stay with what the bike has stock. This bike just brings back the old days of riding for me and puts a bike smile on my face everytime I ride it. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride. Welcome to TWT.

John

Thanks y'all. I started riding in '73 on a Kaw G-5 100, followed by a '74 F-11 250 (wish someone still made a 2-stroke 'enduro!').

In between, I've had five street bikes ranging from an RD 250 to the ZX-14.

This bike takes me back to to the '70s and is pure fun so far, but I've only used it to commute. Can't wait to get it dirty.

Thanks y'all. I started riding in '73 on a Kaw G-5 100, followed by a '74 F-11 250 (wish someone still made a 2-stroke 'enduro!').

In between, I've had five street bikes ranging from an RD 250 to the ZX-14.

This bike takes me back to to the '70s and is pure fun so far, but I've only used it to commute. Can't wait to get it dirty.

Learn on a 76 KE100 years ago. Welcome to the site. Yes a nice Kawasaki 400 2-stroke. Make mine lime green please. Small bikes are fun. Easier to handle and less weight. Adds up to big smiles. When I ride the 6 ton Concours then the KZ250 wow what a world apart. The KZ feels like a feather. Drew

I'll admit it here in front of God and anyone else, I simply wanted to slow down. No shame in a small bore DS, let the fun begin! :rider:

You're not kidding anyone Rman. I've seen how fast you wring out that TW200. Nothing slow about how you ride that bike.

I keep shrinking my dual sport bike but get faster in the process not slower. Suzuki 650cc to Husqvarna 600cc saw an increase and then recently plated my KTM 300cc and now I'm warp speed off road compared to the bigger bikes. A lot easier to pick it up off the ground also.

_

Back