• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "How do I do this in the new forum?" thread

Look under the thread titles.
Well... crap. That was easy! ;)

1545596008244.png

If you are on a mobile device, click the menu bars in the upper left corner to bring up the MENU. You should see your username at the top of the list. Click on your username. This takes you to a screen that says "Account Details", right under that it says "Your Account". Click on "Your Account" and go down the list to "Account Upgrades". You can pick from the list there.

If you are in a full browser, just click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen. On the right side list in that box you should see "Account Upgrades".

I will be working on making a more obvious method.
Woohoo! Thanks... Found it! :)

1545596109757.png

That's too bad. It's just too easy to navigate all my frequented forums via Tapatalk when out of the house. Actually I find myself more and more even using the cell phone when home versus logging in through the computer. Looks like TWT will be a "when at home" site to visit. And since I travel 2-1/2 to 3 weeks out of every month that won't be often.

I understand that TT is easy to use. I use it, although I may stop. However, if you look at the site on your phone with a browser, I really don't see it as being all that different. No, all the options are not in the exact same spot, but it took me only a few minutes to figure it out and it was not complicated. The issue is that TT takes just about ALL control of the presentation aspects of the forum away from the forum owner. The fact that they push advertising against my wishes doesn't sit well, especially since I have ZERO control over what is being displayed yet people still think it is ME doing the advertising and benefiting from it when neither of those things is true.

All I ask is that you at least try using the forum without TT and give it a chance.

In the older version... anytime you hit "What's New", you got a list of the newest threads & posts WITH the associated subforum listed.

Here's the "What's New" now:

View attachment 46457

New threads/posts listed, replies, time & user, but not the subforum they are associated with.

Any way to bring back that functionality?

Thanks!

By the way, when you click on the "New Posts", look over on the right at the top of the list and you should see a "Filter" option.

filters.jpg

That might be useful ;-)

So I figured out how to change the "Account Upgrades" text to "Donate to TWT" so that should help make it a bit more obvious. I am working on adding something like what this site has,

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/

Scroll down, see last widget box on right side.

There is now a "Donate to TWT" link on the main navbar across the top of the forum list.

So I figured out how to change the "Account Upgrades" text to "Donate to TWT" so that should help make it a bit more obvious. I am working on adding something like what this site has,

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/

Scroll down, see last widget box on right side.
I was thinking something simple and easy... a little more near the top so it's visible.

Like this:

1545600888333.png

Go ahead... click on it. ;)

Last edited:
The new UI is really beautiful and so much easier to navigate than before!

A key thing either missing or that I can't figure out: how to enable notifications on my mobile or desktop via the browser. Yes, I can get email notifications, but browsers can also display notifications. Does XenForo have that capability?

Thx

A key thing either missing or that I can't figure out: how to enable notifications on my mobile or desktop via the browser. Yes, I can get email notifications, but browsers can also display notifications. Does XenForo have that capability?

Thx

Not natively. However... that is another item on the to do list. There is apparently a mod that adds "push notifications" to the forum software. I will be investigating this soon.

I see two avenues with which to view only new posts ...

"what's new" with a twistie on the main menu bar and when the "Forums" tab is highlighted in the same menu bar, a sub menu bar appears with "new posts".

I'm trying to figure out why they display two different groups of posts?
While similar, the former yields a much more comprehensive list along with an option to mark everything as read.

Edit ...

OK ... clicking the "What's new" lists a composite of everything listed by the twistie ...
Got it ... I may be old, but I'm slow.

Last edited:

Thx

Okay, there is NO mode for notifications. However, the developers have announced that this will be a built in feature for version 2.1. We are running the most current version now, which is 2.012. I have no idea how long it will be until the get the next version out. I suspect that it might not be too long as they have push notifications already working on their support forums.

Okay, there is NO mode for notifications. However, the developers have announced that this will be a built in feature for version 2.1. We are running the most current version now, which is 2.012. I have no idea how long it will be until the get the next version out. I suspect that it might not be too long as they have push notifications already working on their support forums.

Thanks, Scott. Sounds like it won't be long. That might be the killer feature of V2.1.

I understand that TT is easy to use. I use it, although I may stop. However, if you look at the site on your phone with a browser, I really don't see it as being all that different. No, all the options are not in the exact same spot, but it took me only a few minutes to figure it out and it was not complicated. The issue is that TT takes just about ALL control of the presentation aspects of the forum away from the forum owner. The fact that they push advertising against my wishes doesn't sit well, especially since I have ZERO control over what is being displayed yet people still think it is ME doing the advertising and benefiting from it when neither of those things is true.

All I ask is that you at least try using the forum without TT and give it a chance.

I will try it but first I will need to clear defaults and cookies. Currently if I type twtex.com on any of my phone browsers it will try and open via TT, which is now a broken link. Same if someone were to text me or email me a TWT url link. Same for email notifications received directly from TWT website.

Advertising is a non issue. If a user doesn't want to see them just pay a $15 lifetime fee. I mean TT has to operate somehow right? That is almost nothing to pay. But for most the ads are not even a problem, I just routinely ignore them like all other free apps. Some here have already expressed displeasure with TT so they will be using the new site's mobile link instead. So all non issues except abandoning those that prefer to keep TT. It's always better to give a choice.

Last word on this so others might better understand my point. Sure I can access directly same as any other website. But having one single app to stream in all my forums is a HUGE convenience. Same as my email,*I currently have 6 active email addresses. (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, 2 business and 1 private domain). Sure I could log into each email separately each day, but why? I have all email accounts set to stream in through a single Mail app accessed via a single click on my phone. If I had to log in individually I guarantee that half of those accounts would be checked much less frequently. Same situation for me now with TWT. I will continue to use TT frequently when traveling but then will have to remember that extra TWT check. This trip is on 4 wheels so I have my netbook along, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this post. But my 2 wheeled trips are always with cell phone only, which is 90% of my travels.

On the formatting tools (bold, italics, underline, etc.). On the far left position there is an eraser (I guess).. I can't seem to make it do anything. What is it and what do it do?

I did not try it, but when hovering over the eraser it says it is to remove formatting.

I did not try it, but when hovering over the eraser it says it is to remove formatting.

I suspect if you, or a thread you are quoting has lots of colored text, different fonts, different text size, etc... that button removes it all at once.

Last word on this so others might better understand my point. Sure I can access directly same as any other website. But having one single app to stream in all my forums is a HUGE convenience.

And once you clear the cookies to gain access to TWT, it screws up all the others in TT ...

Huge pain in the backside just to be able to access TWT while mobile.

I don't understand why you guys are having any issues? It works perfect for me without doing ANYTHING to any other sites in TT. Perhaps I have something set different in the TT settings :shrug:

But, like I said way back, I am not 100% against TT. I do not like the fact that they remove control over the forum from me. I think their business practices are iffy... But I am NOT insensitive to the fact that there are folks that like it. My only request was that folks at least try the site without it. I have ZERO issues doing it and TT works like it always has for me if I go to another site. That said, TT doesn't make it real easy to figure out where to find the link to download the back end software to install their app. I've submitted a support ticket to them.

On a related note, I did find that they have a record of what should have been paid to me in advertising fees since they started the advertising. For those that are interested, it is typically less than FIFTY CENTS a month! Since they started a few years ago, I think the total is still less than $20. So the notion that their advertising is supporting the forums using TT is pretty much laughable... :roll:

...I think the total is still less than $20. So the notion that their advertising is supporting the forums using TT is pretty much laughable... :roll:

I don't think anyone suggested that notion. TT advertising supports their app development same as someone buying the upgrade to remove the ads does. But in any case it is still $20 more than you receive from Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc.

I don't think anyone suggested that notion. TT advertising supports their app development same as someone buying the upgrade to remove the ads does. But in any case it is still $20 more than you receive from Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc.

The difference being that the browsers don't insert ads into his website without his consent.

I honestly really like Tapatalk, but totally understand where TM is coming from. Also, the new format works great on mobile and setting the defaults to work properly for twtex was no problem.

On a related note, I did find that they have a record of what should have been paid to me in advertising fees since they started the advertising. For those that are interested, it is typically less than FIFTY CENTS a month! Since they started a few years ago, I think the total is still less than $20. So the notion that their advertising is supporting the forums using TT is pretty much laughable... :roll:

That doesn't surprise in the least ... I figured the pass along percentage was minimal.

And I don't know what the TT issue is on my specific phone ... perhaps I'm several years behind on the latest phone tech?
I'm just not compelled to spring for the latest and greatest techie thing.

But it's not worth the effort to ferret out the reasons or cost to upgrade in order to surf the site on my phone.

And FYI ... the ignore feature doesn't work anything like the beta version.
The only thing "ignored" is the actual post content.
All other user data is there.

I had hoped ignore was a real "you're dead to me" ignore.
Alas ... no.

Back