• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mediocre Wines of Texas Tour

TWTim

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just bought a plot of land in Bandera, so we decided to take our wives down for the weekend to check it out, and also, to tour a few of the nearby wineries in the Fredericksburg area.

The land is beautiful and will make a fantastic place to retire and build a house on in another 30 years, which is his plan. Sunset on Friday night:

BanderaSunset120508.jpg

Saturday, we got up bright and early for breakfast at the Old Spanish Trail Restaurant in downtown Bandera. I cannot emphasize to an adequate-enough degree how good the coffee is there. It's just about the finest cup of traditional-style American coffee you'll find anywhere. Cream and sugar, please:

ostcoffee.jpg

After breakfast, it was on to Fredericksburg for the usual commercialized caning of a visit the town has come to represent for me. I'm telling you, the whole "wine" thing is blowing up down there right now. Every other shop along Main Street is currently a wine store, and seemingly every visitor you see is in town for the sole purpose of doing tastings (starting mid-morning) of some of the worst swill ever to be associated with the holy craft of winemaking. One place makes eighty different wines. Eighty. It's hilarious, but at least the bottles are pretty:

wineforwhitetrash.jpg

You'll see about a million of these oak barrels, too. I wonder if they know that you're supposed to age the wine in them:

oakbarrels.jpg

Thank goodness some places still stick to making things I love:

jalapjelly.jpg

Otherwise, Fredericksburg is still Fredericksburg. It's busy and crowded, but it's always nice to be in a place wo Ich kann mit die Leute Deutsch sprechen if I want to:

FredvilleBusy.jpg

NimitzHotel.jpg

Wheat beer was mein Freund as we walked around:

wheatbeer.jpg

On our way out to the wineries, the girls made us stop at this place called Wildseed Farms, which is a sort of uber-nursery for those with green thumbs:

wildseedfarmsentrance.jpg

wildishflowers.jpg

They had two things I really liked -- excellent decor and a cooler full of beer:

stonesilike.jpg

beeratnursery.jpg

Anyhow, we first visited Becker Winery, where they were very liberal with the number of pours. We payed for six samples, and got about twelve -- except for my unlucky buddy, who was driving us. I can sum-up their wines in one word: "Meh."

smallpour.jpg

hauszweiausbecker.jpg

The wine was without complexity, drank generally hot, and was farcically overpriced. IMO, they were selling 9-dollar-quality bottles of wine for 25-plus bucks. But as you can see above, it's still worth a visit because the winery is very beautiful and the experience is fun. Plus, in my particular case, the company couldn't have been better. Cher and I with our wine faces on:

TimandCher.jpg

After Becker, it was on to Grape Creek Vineyards, a few miles back up the road. I found that, while still terribly overpriced for the quality, Grape Creek did offer an overall better-crafted selection of wines. We did another full tasting and, after finding a few bottles we were actually interested in buying for the first time that day, settled in on the vineyard patio and relaxed until it got too cold for the girls to handle. Can you see them shivering?

gettingcold.jpg

We all decided that P.F. Chang's in San Antonio would be our dinner destination, since we don't have one anywhere in West Texas. It was connected to some indoor-outdoor mall I've never been to before:

somemallinsa01.jpg

somemallinsa2.jpg

We arrived early, so the girls dragged us through a variety of shops that gave me the will to die. I got bored, and started taking random pics for no reason at all:

balz1.jpg

Finally, we made it to dinner. I'd had only wheat beer and wine since about 8 o'clock that morning, so I was more than ready to destroy some seared lamb and lettuce wraps. But in keeping with my obsessive compulsion to photograph all my beverages, I took a moment to preserve the Oolong tea for posterity:

changtea.jpg

Here's one last photo. I'm still getting used to this new little HD camcorder slash still camera slash MP3 player slash movie player, so I botched several shots along the way. This was my coolest mistake:

coolscrewup.jpg

I saw quite a few bikes this weekend, which made me wish I had ridden, but hey, I'd have missed out on all that mediocre wine I got to drink. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed my little post, and I hope you all had safe, fun weekends too.

Goodnight.

Last edited:
The wife and I rode thru Bandera Thursday. I remember driving past a Winery in Sisterdale earlier that day. Only sampling I did was when I got back to the campground after the daily rides and popping some Bud Lights :chug: but that doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

I agree with you about the wines. I much prefer the Llano Estacado wines from West Texas. Now the beers on the other hand.... We have an offshoot of P. F. Changs here called Pei Wei. If you find one, give it a try, less than $10 for the same food in a more casual setting.

We have an offshoot of P. F. Changs here called Pei Wei. If you find one, give it a try, less than $10 for the same food in a more casual setting.

They are less than 2 blocks from my house and also my most frequented restaurant. Good stuff indeed!

I did a tour of those winerys. Since I don't drink I could not tell you if they were any good but I can tell you why they price them so high. You saw the decor and the building? Got to pay for them some how! My wife likes a wine out of New Mexico from the Coranado Winery. She did not like many of the wines she sampled. We bought some but after getting them home they ended up being less than when she tried them. Apparently after you sample so much wine one becomes unable to asses the wines with skill;-)

My first visit to Fredericksburg was for the Harvest Classic this year. I like wine, but I stuck to the Spaten Oktoberfest in 34oz glasses at the Auslander Rest. around the corner from my hotel. I love a town that lets me stroll with a drink through town.

Tim I hope you enjoyed most of the trip other than the wine! I really think we should specialize in wines from our own grapes (etc.) rather than trying to upstage the experts from europe (or even Cali). Maybe things like pomegranate and prickly pear or pepper wines... mustang grapes, etc... oh well I'm over my head anyway, since I'm a straight bourbon kinda guy.

Hope to see you back out here on your bike for the TWT Rally on Memorial Day... !

I've found the Becker whites to be reasonably drinkable. The Viognior has been consistent over the years. It's an OK hot weather, cold drinking summertime kind of wine. I've never found any reason to buy the reds, any $8 bottle from Italy or Chile is superior to my modest palate.

Becker doesn't even have a very fancy tasting room compared to many others. Ever been to Torre de Pietra? I did not care for any of the wines, to put things mildly. But it's a nice place to hangout. They have a great patio, a roaring fireplace inside for those chilly days, and sometimes a band.

- JimY

We have an offshoot of P. F. Changs here called Pei Wei. If you find one, give it a try, less than $10 for the same food in a more casual setting.

I was just saying the other day that the Pei Wei here in Lewisville needs to store my cell phone number so it comes up on caller ID as "Chicken Pad Thai to go."
:lol2:

I prefer the fermented beverages from Shiner. :chug:

Yep, Shiner is greatness. 'Nuff said. :thumb:

Becker doesn't even have a very fancy tasting room compared to many others. Ever been to Torre de Pietra? I did not care for any of the wines, to put things mildly. But it's a nice place to hangout.

I generally liked the atmosphere at both wineries, though admittedly, they both pale in comparison to some of the wineries I've toured in Napa, such as Joseph Phelps and Coppola. But for a quick, inexpensive weekend trip with good friends, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

My wife and I like Grape Creek... :)

That was definitely our favorite of the two. Their Bordeaux-style blend was the best wine I tasted all day. It had an old wine character to it, which I tend toward.

Maybe things like pomegranate and prickly pear or pepper wines... mustang grapes, etc... oh well I'm over my head anyway, since I'm a straight bourbon kinda guy.

The problem with those kinds of fermentables is that they don't have the sugar concentration of a typical grape. So to get them to produce enough alcohol during fermentation, sugar must usually be added to the tank. This can cause all kinds of problems, especially in the erratic hill-country climate. That may be one reason why we don't see more of it.

I love a town that lets me stroll with a drink through town.

+1 on that. It feels like liberty.

Apparently after you sample so much wine one becomes unable to asses the wines with skill;-)

Yep, that's what they're counting on. Never under-estimate the buying power of a slightly tipsy consumer.

:trust:

I've heard of it. In fact, we had a similar conversation regarding Pei Wei over dinner that night. I'll be on the lookout for it when I'm back in Austin in a few weeks.

Only sampling I did was when I got back to the campground after the daily rides and popping some Bud Lights :chug: but that doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

Hey, I'm particular, but I'm not that particular. Heh-heh. I've said it before on this forum -- my favorite beer is the one that's cold and free! :lol2:

I was just saying the other day that the Pei Wei here in Lewisville needs to store my cell phone number so it comes up on caller ID as "Chicken Pad Thai to go."
:lol2:

I see you and I have the same tastes when it comes to Pei Wei.:trust:

That was definitely our favorite of the two. Their Bordeaux-style blend was the best wine I tasted all day. It had an old wine character to it, which I tend toward.

Yea... we're a member of their wine club. We go down every few months and buy a case of our favorites ;-)

We did the wine thing a couple of times through Fredericksburg as well. Have to agree with you on the wines.
Love the beer you can find there. I usually make a trip there and pick up some of the darks he loves.
Tim, why don't places like Fredericksburg make beer instead of wine? I just equate a German town with beer, not wine.

I agree with you about the wines. I much prefer the Llano Estacado wines from West Texas. Now the beers on the other hand.... We have an offshoot of P. F. Changs here called Pei Wei. If you find one, give it a try, less than $10 for the same food in a more casual setting.

I've heard Pei Wei is decent...need to give it a go...but PF Changs has the Great Wall of Chocolate which is ummm the only reason I eat at PF Changs.

Been to many of the hill country winery's including the one's you all were at and some in the DFW area as well. There are few with any really good wines...most are mediocre at best. Fun to visit though. Fredricksberg has good German food, then it's time to leave. Tourist trap of the hill country.

Great pic's.

Where do I start

(1) Excellent Excellent Excellent subject and photography :chug:

I really appreaciate the talent with the camera. Nice shots. :thumb:

(2) Sig Line :clap:

A healthy democracy will die soon after the people discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts
from the public treasury. From that moment on, the countdown to dictatorhip has begun.

:clap:

(3) Trying to get on Amazon.com and get anything by Dingo Sanctuary. Perhaps I missed something.

:headbang:

I'd like to get some D.S. on my Ipod for my next venture south :mrgreen:

Bob :sun:

IMO, they were selling 9-dollar-quality bottles of wine for 25-plus bucks

You, sir, are being generous. I would say they are at or below the $4 Yellow Tail from Australia. I would lean more to considering them below. There was one Texas port (cannot remember the winery) that I would pay $9 a bottle for though.
Llano is a decent wine, but still over priced.
We have several bottles of Texas wines laying around, but they were either gifts or experiments (to see how well they bottle-age).

If you are a traveling man, armed with a passport, head to Hungary. They have a place in Eger there called Szepasszonyvolgy (try saying that after a few glasses!) "The Valley of Beautiful Women", 200+ private wineries carved into a few hills. The owners are all wonderful people and the wine is $0.25 per glass. There is also one place that has rooms above the tasting room.

We haven't found a Texas wine that really stands out however we did try some from the Wales winery in McKinney which I think was some of the best.

Our wine tasting in TX consists of going to 55 degrees wine bar in Plano.

Apparently after you sample so much wine one becomes unable to asses the wines with skill;-)
This is why you spit instead of swallow.

If you drink too much during the tastings, you lose your palate.

Texas wines don't do it for me either, they're simply not there yet.

Tim, why don't places like Fredericksburg make beer instead of wine?

That is a great question. As a homebrewer of almost 10 years, I love going to microbreweries and brew pubs. One of my favorite things about going to Alpine is spending time with the brewmaster at the Holland and drinking his beer. Fredericksburg could definitely capitalize on such a concept.

I'm hopeful that Texas wineries will get it together at some point, but like iratollah said, they just aren't "there" yet. Every time I open a bottle of truly great Napa products such as Oran Swift's The Prisoner or Joseph Phelps Cabernet, the many impotencies characterizing Texas wine become immediately top-of-mind.

Every time I open a bottle of truly great Napa products such as Oran Swift's The Prisoner or Joseph Phelps Cabernet, the many impotencies characterizing Texas wine become immediately top-of-mind.

My wife and I are heading back to Napa in March for a week. :sun:

I love Oran Swift Winery! :clap: O'Brien Vineyards is another favorite of mine as well. Their Seduction wine is very good.

Back