• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Most Awesome Commute TX,NM,AZ,UT,CO

Reaction score
So I've been informed that I'm going to Gallup New Mexico Monday-Tues/Wednesday for work next week. Typically this means fly out and rent a car. This however would be too easy, so I'm planning on taking a few days late next week off and riding out there Sat-Sun, and finding my way back to Dallas Wed/Thurs-Sunday. What makes this so great, is that my boss gave me the A-OK to expense out gas/hotels to the company.

The current plan is:
rrjh2s.jpg

Saturday:
Dallas->Roswell
Sunday:
Roswell->Gallup, check out the VLA in route
Monday:
Work
Tueday:
Work
Wednesday:
Maybe work
Thursday:
Gallup -> Ouray, checkout Monument Valley, Four Corners and the Million Dollar Highway
Friday:
Ouray -> Clovis
Saturday:
Clovis -> Dallas
Sunday:

I'm also doing some prepwork on the bike, New front tire, new brake pads, oil change and valve job.

Planning on taking
Camera
Air Compressor
Tire Plugs
Factory Tool Kit
Cell Phone
Ham Radio
GPS (my old machine doesn't have maps so this is just as a track log)
Maps
Couple changes of clothes/Toiletries
Credit Card/$50 Cash
Water/MRE
Hat
Lucky Dollar
Texas Flag

Possibly:
Tent
Sleeping Bag

As this is would be my first tour longer then 3 days/1k Miles I'd really appreciate any advice/critique from folks that have done these types of trips. If you happen to know of must see/do stuff along or near this route or suggestions for modifying the route I'd love it. Oh and if you can tell me I'm not going to die alone in the desert, that'd be awesome. Or should I rush and book a flight...

I have done that trip a bunch of times. Good route, although I would not go through Canon City. I would turn south just east of Montrose and go through Lake City and Creede.
BTW-you shouldn't die in the desert, although if it wasn't a possibility, it wouldn't be as much fun...

Last edited:
Bring lots of warm riding gear.

Have you checked the temps in Durango ?

Bring lots of warm riding gear.

Have you checked the temps in Durango ?
Ooooh, yeah. I forgot to check that it said this week.......
Most of the kids in our town are skiing this week. It is still winter in the high country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:giveup::eek2:

Dress warm. I was snowed on going to Roswell this weekend. The roads were icy and the temps were in the 30s. Also any area above 4000 feet will probably have sand on the road. :eek2:

For must see places......... Check out the mesa between four corner and Durango.

As for gear, I would skip the tent and sleeping bag and just stay in a hotel on company's dime.

Dress warm. I was snowed on going to Roswell this weekend. The roads were icy and the temps were in the 30s. Also any area above 4000 feet will probably have sand on the road. :eek2:

Been keeping an eye on the weather, the current forecast looks like mid-70s most of the way. I might skip out on some of Colorado depending on how cold/sandy it is.

AZ 191..... :zen:

191 and 152 are pretty nice from what I hear. I have only been on 152 and it was great.

Also, don't trust the weather reports!!!!! It's 70 outside right now in EP but it was 35 degrees last night and the night before it was 65. Last wekend it was 45 one day (weather said 78) and then 85 the next (weather said 65) The temperature fluctuates more in the desert and drops drastically at night. If your prepared you'll be ok. I just didn't want you to learn like I did. I brought spring time camping gear in June and had to stop and buy a zero degree sleeping bag and extra cold weather gear for a memorial day bike trip. Man it gets cold at night. :doh:

The current plan is:
rrjh2s.jpg

I would go out Wichita Falls, Amarillo.
Heated grips? Oxford makes some hot wraps that work great when wearing winter gloves, also regular gloves. Seem bulky at first but with winter gloves they are perfect.
Lucky rascal, I love it when I have to make a call for the company! :mrgreen:

Back