• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon DS Ride, Monterrey, Mexico, Oct 11-14, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am officialy out for this trip , the stars are so far out of wack it aint gonna happen . SEYA next time

Richard, Please add one more to the out list. Bummer! Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Thanks for working so hard to put it together. Have a grand tome.

Well, my riding partner jka134 broke his ankle (see above post), so I would like to join up and ride in from McAllen or Roma. A response would be nice, or, I'll be looking for anyone crossing there Thursday morning. Last year, I got papers done here in Houston, but my buddy just got everything done at the border (my current plan). In case anyone forgets, you REALLY need to get some Mexican Insurance. It basically gets you an lawyer who helps you get out of the country! Remember, an motor vehicle accident is a felony in Mexico... also, the health insurance is a good idea too. Last year's Copper Canyon run saw a few guys get hurt, something noone plans on doing. I'm not a worry wart - I ride Dual Sport! Let the good times roll. Gary - aka BustedKnuckle

It appears there will be half a dozen or more crossing at Roma Thursday morning. Some (probably myself included) are staying at the Best Western in Rio Grande City Wednesday night.

I hate Garmin. I bought the Bici maps and decided to upgrade MapSource, too. Now I can't communicate with my Zumo, so $100 worth of Mexico is useless. I'm trouble shooting as we speak, but did I mention I hate Garmin's processes?

private email from Mighty Mouse in the Valley, re: vehicle papers at Roma.

"Yes you can get all you need in Roma/Rio Grande. They seem to be a little tougher to deal with there in a previous experience but as long as all the paperwork is in order you should be good to go. Much easier everywhere if the bikes are actally street legal. If they are not then its tougher to get them across on someone elses truck or trailer."

Well, I never had that problem, but whatever. Good luck guys. Welcome to the ride busted knuckle.

Thanks for that nice scare. The thought of getting stuck in Mexico in some rat hole jail now crosses my mind. I will be sure to cover all my bases on that. We are leaving thursday morning early. Its about 4 1/2 hours to McAllen. So possibly looking at 10 or 11 a.m.

Well, my riding partner jka134 broke his ankle (see above post), so I would like to join up and ride in from McAllen or Roma. A response would be nice, or, I'll be looking for anyone crossing there Thursday morning. Last year, I got papers done here in Houston, but my buddy just got everything done at the border (my current plan). In case anyone forgets, you REALLY need to get some Mexican Insurance. It basically gets you an lawyer who helps you get out of the country! Remember, an motor vehicle accident is a felony in Mexico... also, the health insurance is a good idea too. Last year's Copper Canyon run saw a few guys get hurt, something noone plans on doing. I'm not a worry wart - I ride Dual Sport! Let the good times roll. Gary - aka BustedKnuckle

I will be coming up from Pt Isabel. Roma is about 55 mi further North of McAllen. So, is anyone crossing at McAllen? Looks like Hwy 40 to Hwy35 to 85... otherwise, one would have to circle north (Roma) and then cut South down to Montemorales or Linares and over to Galeana.
P.S. I hate Garmin too! Solution=Guia Roji Mexico Tourist Road Atlas, plus GPS for waypoints.

Last pre-trip post. Garmin bugs removed well enough. Bike ready. Rider hyperventilating. Lavon to Rio Grande City- 538 miles through great places like Giddings, LaGrange, Goliad, and Freer. Since I went to the Dallas consulate today; no freeway tomorrow! I'm leaving a small crisis at work for backups to handle. What can I say?

I'm bringing too much tools, maps, and Immodium AD; this I know for sure.

private email from Mighty Mouse in the Valley, re: vehicle papers at Roma.

"Yes you can get all you need in Roma/Rio Grande. They seem to be a little tougher to deal with there in a previous experience but as long as all the paperwork is in order you should be good to go. Much easier everywhere if the bikes are actally street legal. If they are not then its tougher to get them across on someone elses truck or trailer."

Well, I never had that problem, but whatever. Good luck guys. Welcome to the ride busted knuckle.

Just was our experience a couple of years ago but it was in the evening so maybe its a little better in the daytime. We've always had a easier time at the Pharr bridge except dont do that one in the evening or you'll be stuck with about a hundred thousand eighteen wheelers. yuk!

HTML:
[B]You have just bailed out of a perfectly good airplane. Enjoy the ride[/B]

:eek2: :rofl:

Ya'll have fun.

4 of us are rolling out this morning. See y'all in Galeana on Thursday.

There were two riders who were injured. One may have broken his ankle. The second injury was a compound fracture of the tibia sustained by a rider from Corpus Christi. As I understand the accounting, the rider lost so much blood, a tounequet had to be applied. The rider had to wait on the side of the road for two hours before he could be transported. A physician accompanied the rider in the ambulance while fluids were administered on an estimated three hour ride to a hospital in Monterrey.

All this is second hand information. This was a severe, possibly life threatening injury. Two hours on a tournequet is considered near the limit for being able to save a limb.

I certainly hope for a good outcome for both these guys.

Robert Cline
Houston, Tx

A rider broke his ankle in a fall. I don't know the nature of the injury, but I spoke with the 2 riders who were with him and neither mentioned loss of blood or a tournaquet. He was transported to the hospital and underwent surgery on the ankle. He was released from the hospital and picked up by his wife, who drove down to get him. We saw him today as we crossed the bridge at Laredo. He and his wife were crossing right behind us. He hollered at us and stuck his damaged foot out the window at us. I think we even got a picture of it.

They must have given Dan some good drugs if he was sticking that foot anywhere.

A KLR rider did a little low-side in a paved hairpin Friday. His sidecase rack trapped his foot and dragged him with the bike. He rode to the border with us Saturday. Post up, Matt, and let us know how the ankle is.

Awesome Ride! Thanks Richard.:clap:And thanks Milton...for Purisima,my best ride ever. Anyone wants "Los Pintas"...well I'm sure it'll still be there!

Last edited:
Hola !!!!!!!!!! Good ride Everyone !! Where are the pics ?

Question : What will we do after this ride?
Answer : Get ready for the next one !!

Oh, Extremely good food too !!!!!!!

Chango,

I made it home last night about 10 p.m., so I didn't have time to post up any pics. Hopefully I will have time this evening to start a ride report and get some pics posted.

In the meantime I'll say it was fantastic. The dual sport riding there is both superb and abundant. The scenery is awe-inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back