• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon DS Ride, Monterrey, Mexico, Oct 11-14, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
New KLR rider here....found this site and this trip is exactly what i am looking for but I have a few questions.

1. Is a passport required even though the law says it doesn't go into effect until 2008? Reason i ask is because i don't think it would be possible to get one in time unless I shelled out big bucks for rushed one.

2. Is there any one near San Marcos Texas that I could bum a trailer and a ride down to Mexico. Being a poor college student (who is a San Marcos local btw) I do not own a trailer or a vehicle of transporting the bike. I would be willing to help pay for gas.

3. Can we camp instead of sleep in the hotel room? Being a poor college student means limiting my expenses. Or can just split the cost of a hotel room with a few people? **** I don't mind sleeping on the floor if any of you would want an extra person to pitch in for a room.

I don't understand much Spanish, and have limited off road experience with my KLR. I have a open mind when it comes to advice and would like to learn from some of you veterans since not to many people in my age group ride DS bikes (most own sport bikes). So this would truly be a adventure for me.

1. The most current info tells us that drivers can still cross into Mexico using their birth certificate (the one issued by the state). Those driving into Mexico don't yet need a passport.

That being said, there is always the chance some bureaucrat at the border hasn't gotten the word and thinks a passport is required, which would slow your border crossing down to get it worked out.

2. Can anyone here help linx310 out with a ride?

3. Not sure about the camping since I've never been to this area, but I would guess you could find a hidden place to quietly camp somewhere outside of town. Rooms are going to be $25-$30 per night. There are not enough rooms at the hotel Jardin for everyone that is attending to have a single room, so I'm expecting a lot of us will have roommates, which cuts the rooms costs down to $12-15 per person per night. I would be surprised if you weren't able to team up with someone and split a room.

Richard , if anyone is interested in doing a pre- Mexico DS ride. Some of us will be going this Sunday 9/30 (weather permitting) for an approx. 110 mile
ride of Austin & Colorado counties . Basically check out new tire patterens , equipt, rider , and machine. Two awesome stream crossings and hilly dirt roads. Meet up at Tony's Restuarant in Sealy 8:30 and leave out at 10:00.

James in Sealy

BMW R80GS
Monark Enduro

Richard , if anyone is interested in doing a pre- Mexico DS ride.
Meet up at Tony's Restuarant in Sealy 8:30 and leave out at 10:00.

James in Sealy

BMW R80GS
Monark Enduro

Sounds good to me. See ya there.:rider:

:tab So who is crossing at McAllen and when? I've got a truck/trailer and plan to leave Huntsville Wednesday morning, spend the night in McAllen, then ride to Galeana Thursday. I'd REALLY prefer to hook up with someone at McAllen because I have NO desire to ride down alone. I figure Sunday will be a marathon run from Galeana back to Huntsville.

Oh yeah... I will be taking the KLR, not the Strom ;-)

When I try to access the GPS links on your website for the Mountain Recon ride, the file is in XML format, not gpx. How do you acquire the files in a format my gps can read?

Thanks.

Robert Cline
Houston, TX

When I try to access the GPS links on your website for the Mountain Recon ride, the file is in XML format, not gpx. How do you acquire the files in a format my gps can read?

Thanks.

Robert Cline
Houston, TX

Robert,

I just downloaded (right click, select "save link as") 2 of the routes to see if they downloaded as .gpx or as .xml files. Both downloaded to my computer as .gpx and I was able to open both in Mapsource.

I don't know why they are downloading as .xml files for you. Send me an email and I can reply with them as an attachment. (rgibbens@austin.rr.com)

1. The most current info tells us that drivers can still cross into Mexico using their birth certificate (the one issued by the state). Those driving into Mexico don't yet need a passport.

That being said, there is always the chance some bureaucrat at the border hasn't gotten the word and thinks a passport is required, which would slow your border crossing down to get it worked out.
QUOTE]

The passport problem is not with the Mexican government, but is with the US Government. You may have problems returning. You may travel with certain documents to Mexico without having a US Passport, BUT, you must have applied for a passport.

The good news is, you may start the passport application online.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

Robert Cline
Houston, Tx

Here's an email I received from Adventure Mexico (the company I buy my Mexico motorcycle insurance from):

"Until June 2009, you do NOT need a passport to drive in Mexico.

If you plan on DRIVING to Mexico before June 2009, you can still use your US or Canadian Drivers License as identification for crossing back into the US. You will NOT need a passport for driving or walking across the border back into the US until June 2009.

The new passport requirement for 2007 ONLY applies to AIR TRAVEL!

There has been a lot of confusion this year about the new passport requirements for traveling to Mexico from the US or Canada. Adventure Mexican Insurance Services has done a lot of research on this issue, and we would like to provide our customers with the most current and clear information on this topic. If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact our office at 800-485-4075 or email: info@mexadventure.com

Below is a quick summary of the new passport legislation, and a timeline of when the changes are expected to be implemented:

Why is the Passport Law Changing?
As part of the The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, the Department of Homeland Security is supposed to implement a plan that requires all travelers to the US to provide a passport or similar documentation upon entry into the US. This requirement applies to all US citizens and foreign travelers. This plan is called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
Read more about the WHTI - NOTE - this webpage still lists the January 2008 deadline, but the documentation below will show that the deadline has been changed to sometime around June 2009. Also, note the difference between Air and Land travel.

When Will Passports be Required for Re-Entering the US from Mexico?
This is where the confusion lies!
The passport requirements are being applied at different dates for different types of travel. There are 3 different classifications for traveling into the US.

1: Air Travel - (By airplane):
As of January 23, 2007, all travelers - including US and Canadian citizens are now required to have a passport when entering the US by airplane.

2: Sea Travel - (By boat or cruise ship):
The exact deadline for when passports (or similar documentation) will be required for entering the US by sea has not been set. However, current legislation has been passed that requires the deadline to be no later than June 2009. The sea travel deadline will be the same as the land travel deadline.

3: Land Border Travel - (Driving a vehicle or walking across the border):
The exact deadline for when passports (or similar documentation) will be required for entering the US by land has not been set. However, current legislation has been passed that requires the deadline to be no later than June 2009. The land travel deadline will be the same as the sea travel deadline.

Why has the Passport Requirement for Land Border Travel Been Delayed?
Originally, the passport requirements for land border travel were supposed to be implemented by January 2008, but in October 2006, the President signed into law a delay of this deadline until June 2009. The main reason for the delay is because the Department of Homeland Security is attempting to develop a PASS CARD system. This system will create drivers license-sized cards that will serve as limited use passports for land border entries from Mexico and the US. The Senate recognized that the PASS CARD system could not be properly implemented by the original deadline, so they passed the Leahy-Stevens Amendment which delayed the deadline until sometime prior to (or on) June 2009.
Read the actual legislation from Senator Leahy's website
Read the documentation of the President signing the June 2009 deadline - Page 3; bottom right paragraph

Should You Get a Passport Now?
If you think you may be driving to Mexico after June 2009, then you should probably go ahead and get a passport sometime soon. The passport processing times will only get longer as we get closer to the passport requirement deadline. It is currently taking up to 15 weeks to receive a new passport without paying extra for expedition. Plus - you already need a passport if you want to travel to Mexico by airplane!

Links on How to Obtain a US Passport:
First Time Passport
Where To Apply for a Passport
Renew or Get a Paspport in a Hurry

We hope this information is helpful for you, and we are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the passport requirements for traveling to Mexico. We will also keep you posted if we hear of any updates on this issue.

As always, we look forward to providing you with quality Mexican auto insurance on your next trip to Mexico!

Regards,

Adventure Mexican Insurance Services
www.mexadventure.com"

You don't need squat to get back into the USofA. DL will do. But to avoid extreme disappointment or fancy footwork at the customs house, please pay attention to the details.

To obtain a Mexican Tourist Card (your 1st step in getting your bike in) you'll need a photo ID and one of the following (originals only – no photocopies)
Passport
Birth Certificate
Voter Registration
Certificate of Nationality

The border guys do not like photocopies of Birth Certificates, I'm warning you. I once saw a companion slip in with a copy of a birth certificate substanciated by an expired passport, but I consider that a fluke. Once I got a 13 yr old in (no papers at all) with a lot of pleading and a mordida but that was in the old days. Are you feeling lucky? I've seen one companion turned away cause he didn't cancell his car papers from a previous trip. Bummer.

Things you must have to enter Mexico with a motorcycle:
 An unexpired passport or certified birth certificate (no photocopies)
 A major unexpired credit card in your name
 An unexpired driver’s license
 The title or unexpired registration to your bike (and/or car and trailer). One or the other is sufficient. It must have your name listed (no photocopies)
 As a precaution, any old cancellation papers from previous trip

As a precaution, any old cancellation papers from previous trip

I put the receipt from the Banjercito for my last in my passport so I will be sure to have it with me for future trips. Just in case...

So no one heading through Huntsville or near Huntsville that wants to hook up for the run down?

I think that if you do a right click and "save target as" that you will get the GPX file as needed. GPX is an XML format - so just rename it with the gpx suffix after you download it. (I just tried it and it did the same thing to me)

Richard , if anyone is interested in doing a pre- Mexico DS ride. Some of us will be going this Sunday 9/30 (weather permitting) for an approx. 110 mile
ride of Austin & Colorado counties . Basically check out new tire patterens , equipt, rider , and machine. Two awesome stream crossings and hilly dirt roads. Meet up at Tony's Restuarant in Sealy 8:30 and leave out at 10:00.

James in Sealy

BMW R80GS
Monark Enduro

James, are y'all still doing this? Anyone else going?

Yeah , still goin Sunday . It looks like three or four of us so far .
Hey Dr. Blackbird , will your bike still be down for upgrades?

James in Sealy

Down but not out........"We can rebuild it, we have the technology" The 6 million $ KLR........****, just about every part I buy for it has 2 zeros behind it. When I'm finished with it, it'll run on Tequilla and climb the side of mountains.
Have fun, but take it easy, Ya don't want to screw up and ruin your trip down south
............Doc

How many miles per bottle will it get and will it get better mileage on Patron then Sauza . This sounds like an expensive trip . SEYA

Anyone going to the ADV rider event in Creel after Richard's Mt. Recon? It's the 16th - 18th and I'm looking for a riding partner for an easy 2-day run to Creel. Anyone interested let me know.

Anyone going to the ADV rider event in Creel after Richard's Mt. Recon? It's the 16th - 18th and I'm looking for a riding partner for an easy 2-day run to Creel. Anyone interested let me know.

I plan to cross the border en route to Mazatlan on the 21st but I guess that doesn't really help. Sorry.

Its possible , we will know a few days before departure time , possibly three of us . SEYA

TM, I'll ride down with you from McAllen. What's the rendezvous point?

Last edited:
Yes , he does rock .... Great story and photos .

James in Sealy

BMW R80GS "Schek Replica"
1972 Monark Enduro
1937 BMW R12 w/sidecar
1976 Maico GS

Just got back from the Mexican Consulate in Houston....(4507 San Jacinto).
I was the only one in the room, took all of 10 minutes............
Needed:.....
1) Passport...or...Birth certificate
2) Drivers Lic.
3) Credit Card
4) Vehicle proof of ownership
You can only get a 180 day visa and vehicle permit......cost 438.77 pesos.
You or your wife can do the paper work at the window, asked and was told so.
Vehicle permit must be turned in at the border and only the border not the exceed the 180 days.

Just got back from the Mexican Consulate in Houston....(4507 San Jacinto).
I was the only one in the room, took all of 10 minutes............
You can only get a 180 day visa and vehicle permit......cost 438.77 pesos.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Doc, What time of day did you go? Did you notice if it was the same cost for multiple vehicles on one permit?

I'm also gonna try to exchange currency here in Houston so I'm not waiting for them to open at the border.

Another detail has changed in my plans. I'm now crossing at McAllen since CeeBee got his papers for there instead of Laredo.:argh: Dang Tourist!:lol2:

We'll be crossing together at dawn with our bikes in seperate trucks. So Scott we could follow you on your bike if you want. I think it would be better to be tailgated by a couple of gringos instead of some local truck drivers.:eek2:

Anyone else crossing there at that time Thursday?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back