• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon

First Post, long time luker.
I put down for some vacation time.
Would sure like to do this ride with you guys.
Went to Creel last October :eat: ready to go back to Mexico.

From the response from cee-bee and thumper ,I need to go this year.

Is this still a recon or has it progressed.Kinda like like the wondering unkown
personally.

Scott,

Now that the recon is done I call this event MexTrek. I am planning to organize it along the same lines as TAR (base out of one town, meet up the first evening of the event, ride/explore for 2 days, then head home) and publish a ride guide and provide maps.

Nice thread and pictures, makes me lust :). I have a 08 crf230f honda bike and I am making it street legal. Was wondering if it would be too small for a trip like this. It goes kinda slow top speed maybe 70 wide open for roads and kinda shakes; basically not good for pavement high speed but great for offroad of course, real light bike and everything small displacement and great milage. Would this work for a future trip like this you all did in Mexico? I definately plan to do the big bend trip maybe in february.

Thanks

Nice thread and pictures, makes me lust :). I have a 08 crf230f honda bike and I am making it street legal. Was wondering if it would be too small for a trip like this. It goes kinda slow top speed maybe 70 wide open for roads and kinda shakes; basically not good for pavement high speed but great for offroad of course, real light bike and everything small displacement and great milage. Would this work for a future trip like this you all did in Mexico? I definately plan to do the big bend trip maybe in february.

Thanks

If you have a range of more than 100 miles, I hear you should be good... or carry more fuel. Have a couple folks go ride with you doing 60 on the way out there..... or you might get randdover. Drive to Galeana maybe?

I'm going con dos companeros de viaje, en once dias! Once dias!

jagster,

Your CRF230L will be fine for about 90% of the riding around Galeana. Certainly it will be great on all the dirt roads and okay on the minimal amount (10%) of pavement on some of the routes.

The only real issue I foreseee is getting to Galeana. There is a minimum of 150 miles of highway travel and as much as 250 miles of highway travel from the border to Galeana, depending on which crossing you choose. That's a long way on a slow bike, especially if you are riding with others on bigger, faster bikes not inclined to ride at the more sedate pace of the 230L. I'd suggest trailering your bike all the way to Galeana.

The only other issue might be the range of your gas tank. Terra is right - 100 mile range is probably okay. It's relatively easy to strap a small gallon can on to your bike, which would pretty much solve the issue.

Thanks

I'm gonna trailer down my tx street legal wr250f .....
btw, my neighbor just got herself a crf230L,
she's a new rider, so I teaching her to ride in the dirt first.
we took off all the breakable stuff ...
and she's adding a skid plate and barkbusters.
when she gets her motorcycle license we'll put back the blinkies ...

Haha, well yes I would take it in my truck (or maybe my old beat up car with trailer) down to that town, to go from there. I always hear the crazy stories of cops in Mexico being bad but I'm not sure how much of it is fact or fiction :). Sounds really fun though.

230L's are nice spidennis but I wanted the dirtbike features and just make it street legal. Without the goofy emissions tube thingy on it and suspension chnages, among others. I wonder if it has a better lighting coil though?

These threads are killing me! My VTX is cowering in the garage, afraid that I may trade her for a DS.

Motorcycle Jedi: "Xclaiber, Obi Wan Dirtrider never told you what happened to your dual sport bike."

Xcaliber: "He told me enough. He told me you killed it."

Motorcycle Jedi: "No, Xcaliber, I have your dual sport bike."

Xcaliber: "Noooooooooo..... That's not true"

Motorcycle Jedi: "Search your feelings, Xcaliber. You know it's true. Join me on the Dirty Side. It is your destiny. Together we can bring an end to this destructive conflict in your soul, trade your VTX for a KLR, and rule the dual sport universe as Dual Sport 1 and Dual Sport 2."

Motorcycle Jedi: "Xclaiber, Obi Wan Dirtrider never told you what happened to your dual sport bike."

Xcaliber: "He told me enough. He told me you killed it."

Motorcycle Jedi: "No, Xcaliber, I have your dual sport bike."

Xcaliber: "Noooooooooo..... That's not true"

Motorcycle Jedi: "Search your feelings, Xcaliber. You know it's true. Join me on the Dirty Side. It is your destiny. Together we can bring an end to this destructive conflict in your soul, trade your VTX for a KLR, and rule the dual sport universe as Dual Sport 1 and Dual Sport 2."
That's FUNNY ...........and a little scary :rofl:

Off hand, I'd say
Looks like you've got too much free time, Ricardo. :-P

I always hear the crazy stories of cops in Mexico being bad but I'm not sure how much of it is fact or fiction :). Sounds really fun though.
Police are super polite and friendly, coming up and saying something like, “Oh, excuse me. How are you? Could you please move your motorcycles? You can put them over here.” They wear combat boots, military style camouflage pants with black T-shirt, cap, walkie-talkies. They ride around in pickup trucks. Hotel Guzman, $25/night, we get separate rooms. When we ask about safety of the bikes, people look at us uncomprehending. Almost insulted we could suggest crime. Here? At 11:30 pm all stores are closed but groups of benign 16 yr olds roam the empty streets, hang at the park. Their safety assured by hardwired code of ethics. And pickup trucks full of police. Less menacing here than anywhere in the states.

Question: How is it that we Americans, who live in cities of gangs, drive by shootings, drug abuse, pedophiles, crime and fear, assume that these tiny places in Mexico would be the same??? Here family values prevail. At least so it seems here in Xilitla.
_________from ...mjo, 3/11/2006

Wow I spent the last hour reading the entire thread.To say I am envious would not do justice to what I am feeling.The ride reports and the pictures are stupendous.I dont own a dual sport but after reading this I am gonna look for one.I have traveled a few times to mexico when I was much younger.I always had a great time and the people were warm and friendly.Just the kind of genuine hospitality that makes you want to come back again and again.Add to that the beautiful natural scenery and wilderness make this a truly great adventure.I think I'll be looking for a KLR;-) I have not done any off road or trail riding since I was 15 years old.So this would be a great experience for me.Many years ago I lived in AZ so i know the terrain out west is...the best.I need to get back real soon.Thanks to all for sharing your adventures here.I truly enjoyed reading it.:mrgreen: :thumb:

Police are super polite and friendly, coming up and saying something like, “Oh, excuse me. How are you? Could you please move your motorcycles? You can put them over here.” They wear combat boots, military style camouflage pants with black T-shirt, cap, walkie-talkies. They ride around in pickup trucks. Hotel Guzman, $25/night, we get separate rooms. When we ask about safety of the bikes, people look at us uncomprehending. Almost insulted we could suggest crime. Here? At 11:30 pm all stores are closed but groups of benign 16 yr olds roam the empty streets, hang at the park. Their safety assured by hardwired code of ethics. And pickup trucks full of police. Less menacing here than anywhere in the states.

Question: How is it that we Americans, who live in cities of gangs, drive by shootings, drug abuse, pedophiles, crime and fear, assume that these tiny places in Mexico would be the same??? Here family values prevail. At least so it seems here in Xilitla.
_________from ...mjo, 3/11/2006

Milton,

That was a most excellent post. You are on my list of folks to meet up with, along with a few others here on TWT.

I was having a discussion the other day with someone about violence in Mexico regarding narco-trafficking. My bent is that both sides of any mathematical equation must balance. The narcotics violence in Mexico (and Latin America) is met by the narcotics violence we have here in the US. Supply equals demand. 50% of the illegal narcotics supplied to the world are consumed right here in the US. Our voracious appetite for illegal drugs is only met by our appetites for excessive debt and excessive food. We have been engaged in a debt, food, and drug orgy since the late 60's, yet we wish to criticize others. Amazing.

Like most of you better educated MEX riders here, you know what the real story is when touring down there, and what the real facts are. This is what makes TWT a pleasure for me.

Mike

I post at ADVrider.com as Pedro Navaja
And I am "Trailblazer", if you didn't know. Look forward to meeting you. I spent a little time in Guatemala in 1978, most of the year, hanging out in "Pana", mostly. (Now I can say been there, done that.)

Back