• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

hi greeneggsandham and thumpertx -
thanks so much for reaching out to me and inviting me to the fish fry. i have guests coming next week and have a lot of getting ready to do, but i am going to try to make it as it sounds like a great way to meet people. i don't really have anything to do on my bike as i just got it, but meeting people and finding possible riding partners sounds great.

thanks again!

Wow. Right in Bastrop there is a great set of trails that no one here seem to know about. All dirt loops in a .8mi x .6mi area. 30-45 min of riding one way nonstop with very little repeats. Yeah, you're not going anywhere, but you won't want to leave.

In 9 days I'll post the map, in 10 days we meet to ride!
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54667

Heh... I knew you were on to something when you started talking about those trails :trust: Ron and JT, I'm blaming you for not ferreting them out sooner :-P

Heh... I knew you were on to something when you started talking about those trails :trust: Ron and JT, I'm blaming you for not ferreting them out sooner :-P

And Saturday when we do find them, we will have to maintain the security. I guess you'll have to go, to know. :eek2:

Re: The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

Added lots more paved content to the Google map this weekend...
Also been corresponding with the guys at Butler Maps for their upcoming Synthetic (waterproof) folding map of the hill country.It'll be a great accompanyment to the Google map.

Last edited:
I hope to purchase my road legal 2006 CRF450X this weekend:zen:, and will be looking out for the next DS ride!! Have already bought the engine oil, transmission oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug + fork oil (and I don't even own the bike yet!!). :clap:
Get the bike on the 14th, spend the 15th changing fluids and checking valve clearances and general maintenance, then the next week I will be ready to ride:rider:.. So from the 20th May onwards I am looking for some dirt road rides!!:eat: Will have to take the bike to Marble falls as well, just to get used to it, I hope it's like my YZ426 off-road but will also be road legal and has an electric boot!! :clap:No more kick starting (I hope!!).:lol2: If you can't tell, I am quite excited about this!! :-P

Gary

I hope to purchase my road legal 2006 CRF450X this weekend:zen:, and will be looking out for the next DS ride!! Have already bought the engine oil, transmission oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug + fork oil (and I don't even own the bike yet!!). :clap:
Get the bike on the 14th, spend the 15th changing fluids and checking valve clearances and general maintenance, then the next week I will be ready to ride:rider:.. So from the 20th May onwards I am looking for some dirt road rides!!:eat: Will have to take the bike to Marble falls as well, just to get used to it, I hope it's like my YZ426 off-road but will also be road legal and has an electric boot!! :clap:No more kick starting (I hope!!).:lol2: If you can't tell, I am quite excited about this!! :-P

Gary

Did you get the bike? I am wanting to go out to Marble Falls again. I have to fix my tire first.

I got it, will get rid of the wife and kids next week and then hope to be spending every free minute riding the CRF.. I am riding on the 28th with some new guys (Out towards Houston) but would love to ride any other days.. Will definitely be doing Marble falls very soon.

Gary

Has anybody ridden 101, 102, 103, or 310 in the current state of droughtliness? I'm riding to Inks Lake from San Marcos on Saturday and wondering if any of the low water crossings are even slimy enough to worry about.

I will be riding the 308, 310 & 315 this sunday with some new friends!! Will be happy to let you know about the water crossings..

Gary

I was on 310 & 315 a couple of weeks ago. From co. rd. 310 at Hwy 71, near Marble Falls, to co. rd. 315 at Hwy 16 just south of Llano. Dry dirt in all the creek bottoms :-( all the way to Hwy 16. It would have been more fun to have had water, I think! At least something to break up the dust. But that's just me. Most people don't like the slimmy concrete. Still it was an uninterrupted ride as far as other vehicles go.

I agree that water would be more fun, but since my usual riding buddy is busy this weekend, I like hearing things that lessen my chances of wiping out by myself out there. Thanks!

Thanks Sam, was hoping to have some water!! Guess I will just have to use my imagination!! :rider:

Gary

Take pictures and add them to the Master Map gents! TJRockit can add you to the collaborator list... I could do that but I've totally forgotten how :)

For those of you looking for water, I found this yesterday (.gpx attached). Dirt starts at RR783 & Salt Branch Loop (off of 87 south of Mason). Road conditions all over the map, but mostly hard-pack. There's even a short fun section of pavement in the middle. You'll see from the track where I turned around. The river (James River I think) was maybe 100 meters across, but very slick with a pool on the far end. Bring your camera, the crossing is in front of the Star S Ranch (zebras & other exotics visible from the road).

Sorry, it was either stay on the bike another hour or figure out how to better attach files & pics... priorities.

Attachments

• StarSRanchRiverCrossing.gpx
    2 bytes · Views: 296
Okay - so I took 5 minutes to learn Picasa & Picnik. Here's the pic of the water crossing mentioned above.

waterCrossing-1.jpg

Added lots more paved content to the Google map this weekend...
Also been corresponding with the guys at Butler Maps for their upcoming Synthetic (waterproof) folding map of the hill country.It'll be a great accompanyment to the Google map.

Well...The Texas Hill Country maps have been out for a while now ...& the guys at Butler are also updating some of their other maps to include some dirt/gravel/rock/sand roads. UT 2nd Ed,CO 2nd Ed & a WA backcountry route (WABDR) map that is mostly forest roads w just a bit of pavement to connect em together or get ya into a town if wanted. A UTBDR is also in the works too.

These work great on the bike (waterproof) & are a useful addition to the info on the Google Hill Country map.

For those attending the upcoming Roll The Bones Rally II ...I'll have the complete catalog of maps if ya think ya might be interested. Lemme kno so I can bring correct qty of what's wanted.

Last edited:

Rod, do you know if Butler has done one for the OBDR by any chance?

I'm guessin you're talkin bout Oregon....but No ,they haven't done one for that state yet. I don't have any info on which state will be next in line after UT but I bet OR is a good possibility.

Last edited:
I'm guessin you're talkin bout Oregon....but No ,they haven't done one for that state yet. I don't have any info on which state will be next in line after UT but I bet OR is a good possibility.

Butler's Vendor Thread
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56339

Rog. I think the OBDR was the one that started the craze. There's also a Tour of Idaho that is pretty sweet....

My brother is turning 50 this year and I am planning on taking him on a Hill Country ride out to Mason. Below is the route I am planning. The idea is that it would be a little more aggressive on the way out and a little easier on the way home. I am open to any suggestions anyone has. I purposely skipped the James River Road. We may ride out to it to see what it looks like but am not interested in dropping the bike in deep water. :deal:

Route to Mason
Starting point: Intersection of HWY 281 and FM 1323 near Johnson City
FM 1323 - West
Althaus-Davis/CR310/FM3347 - North
CR 310A - North
CR 310 - West
CR 308 - North
CR 315 - West
HWY 16 - South (left)
CR 113 - West
CR 112 - West (Left)
RR 2323 - South (Left)
CR 110 (Loyal Valley Rd/Horse Mountain Rd) - West
RR 2242 - South (Left)
HWY 87 - South (Left)
Threadgill Creek Rd/Squaw Creek - West
RR 783 - South
Geistweidt - West (quick right from 783)
Onion Creek Rd - North (Right)
Salt Branch Loop/E Mill Rd/CR 4301 - West (Left)
CR 430/Mill Creek Rd - North (Right)
RR 1871 Northeast (Right) to Mason
HWY 87 - Southeast to Coopers (San Antonio St)

Return Route
HWY 87 - Southeast
Cherry Spring Rd - East (Left)
RR 2323 - South
Schneider-Moellering Rd - East (First Left)
Gypsum Mine Rd - Northeast (Left)
Keese Rd - Right
FM 965 - North (Left)
Lower Crabapple Rd - East (Right)
Eckert Rd - East (Left)
HWY 16 - South (Right)
FM 1323 - East (First Left) to HWY 281

For those of you who might be interested in riding the roads of north Texas....

I'm adding several of the "previously unknown to me" paved goodies in the hills around Weatherford to Dahveed's Google map which is similar to this one.

I've only made one trip so far...& will definately make many more,scouting out all those nice roads up there. Slowoldguy is also working on the gravel roads in the area on a separate project. Maybe those will be added to the DFW map at some point too??

Back