• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

:clap::clap::clap:

Wow, lots of new content. :trust::rider: To the point where Firefox is starting to croak on me. I might have to try in Windows Exploder. Or is this a G-map limitation?

I like how guys are putting the County name first to provide some organization to the feature list on the left side. I wonder how much control we have on that list? ie: could we turn it into a tree?

Tom, do you know if we can archive a backup copy? I'm still spooked about accidentally killing it.

So, given decent weather and health (got a raging cold right now), anybody want to try to fill in some of the blanks around Austin with me on Saturday? That could be towards Rockdale, Gonzales, or Wimberley... assuming I get my flat tire fixed :)

Finally... I'd sure like to see some of the Austin Urban DS guys put some content up, hint hint... :)

Justin

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap:

Wow, lots of new content. :trust::rider: To the point where Firefox is starting to croak on me. I might have to try in Windows Exploder. Or is this a G-map limitation?

I like how guys are putting the County name first to provide some organization to the feature list on the left side. I wonder how much control we have on that list? ie: could we turn it into a tree?

Tom, do you know if we can archive a backup copy? I'm still spooked about accidentally killing it.

So, given decent weather and health (got a raging cold right now), anybody want to try to fill in some of the blanks around Austin with me on Saturday? That could be towards Rockdale, Gonzales, or Wimberley... assuming I get my flat tire fixed :)

Justin

Hey Guys,
I've been thinkin about some of the same things....don't want to see it go "BLIP"
Anyone who is on the "contributor" list can update any of the info listed !!!!
Good & bad in some aspects.Mostly good though.We all do make mistakes though......& I wouldn't want others work compromised by my mistake.
Hopefully the list can be organized by county so that folks could search easier.I started putting the county on my marker posts since I knew the list would get much larger quickly.I know most roads I listed are paved...but ... They are Good ones....Maybe some sort of search for riders who want...say....roads in Burnet & Lampasas Co's or those + a stretch up thru Coryell,Bosque & Somervell too...listed in that order for a south to north ride. Or maybe just the gravel roads....or.....
Don't know if any of this is possible....but.............

Testing using Google Chrome as a web browser

It seems that we've added so much data to the map that it is taking a long time to load and people are running into issues with each other.

I am testing using Google Chrome as a web browser to see if it is any better especially since Google Maps should be more native to that browser.

Here is link to download Google Chrome if you'd like to try it also.
http://www.google.com/chrome

Ok, finally something I can add.
There is a great tool called GmaptoGPX that will format a .kml file for easy conversion to .gpx, waypoint and tracks.
Since the first step is .kml (easy to read in gmap or gearth) you can save on your comp for easy backup.
Go to http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ and read the first few paragraphs.
The link is added to your Firefox or Internet Exploder toolbar.
Works great!
Try opening this file in GEarth
the reason I am using .kmz (compressed .kml) is twt doesnt allow .kml's, GEarth works with either.

John

Attachments

• Hill Country Dirt Roads Texas Dual Sport Rides.kmz
    18.9 KB · Views: 617
Well, let me rephrase that.
.kml files work great in GEarth and are easy to convert to .gpx for Garmin, but Gmaps messed up when trying to import them.

Working on it, stay tuned...

Quick Update on Chrome

So from a dry run through, the Google Chrome works much better with the Google Maps. Load time is way faster. Also, the line problem I was seeing in "Deep Down Road Erath CR194 & CR104" also remained until I went into edit mode and then cancelled and exited out. Now it seems to work fine in Chrome.

Firefox is crashing on me on a regular basis now so it seems like it is more of an issue with FireFox than the app itself.

Works fine in Firefox for me. v 3.5.7 On a Mac os 10.5 4gb memory.

I'm not a Mac advocate. It just happens to be the fastest machine I have right now. I run XP on it too, but have more software on the Mac side. I can test on an old slow XP laptop too if you want.

Hi everyone, I have a Burgman 400 so I am limited some what to the dirt roads I can go on and I have very little experience with riding on dirt. With that said I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have been trying to figure out what is meant by "Non-Invasive" Dirt roads. Could someone explain it to me?

I have been trying to figure out what is meant by "Non-Invasive" Dirt roads. Could someone explain it to me?
I know of some dirt roads that are excellent to ride on but they happen to be on someone's personal property. If you look at a map, the road looks like it is public and sometimes is but happens to be on or surrounded by private property.

The spirit here is to find dirt roads that are fun to ride on that have very low to zero risk of upsetting the local property owners. That is what is meant by "Non-Invasive" Dirt roads.

Since I've added all the extra paved roads to the map,it looks like some sort of list sort by county would be in order.I don't know if that is possible but today I decided to try the SEARCH GOOGLE MAPS feature.I selected SEARCH OPTIONS then narrowed it to USER CREATED CONTENT in hope of being able to search for....say..."Coryell" CR142.
The only results that came up looked like standard Google results. ...stuff like "Coryell" Courthouse & Gatesville ....
...so I guess that idea of being able to search the roads we have listed by county ain't a gonna work with what Google offers.I'd still like to group the road markers in some easy to find manner.Whether by county or by selectable mile radius of Austin....or Temple...or Waco...or ???

I know of some dirt roads that are excellent to ride on but they happen to be on someone's personal property. If you look at a map, the road looks like it is public and sometimes is but happens to be on or surrounded by private property.

The spirit here is to find dirt roads that are fun to ride on that have very low to zero risk of upsetting the local property owners. That is what is meant by "Non-Invasive" Dirt roads.
Thanks I kind of thought it may be that but wasn't sure.

Thanks I kind of thought it may be that but wasn't sure.

Most public country roads in Texas are, fortunately or unfortunately, surrounded by private property. TJRockit is right on the money. I was trying to find public dirt roads that don't spend an excessive amount of time going through people's front yards, opening and closing gates, or through areas congested with lots of driveways and the risks they entail. I suppose if they do, we can at least provide that information and ask people to be respectful (such as CR110, Baker-Fry Rd by Lake Buchanan). This could also be the place where we post info on roads that are shown as public on maps, MapSource software, or the internet, but are actually private.

Here's a short but fun section north of Elgin. I usually hit this one on the way east from Coupland. It ends near the north end of the open pit mine. It's the eastern most part of this loop.

Google Link

There is a nasty section of sand that bit me on the tiger one day.

Found a photo. I got in a rut the front tire didn't like. I swapped ends and was tossed from one side of the road to the other. The DRZ loves this section. :rider:

forum3.jpg

Oh man that's what I'm talking about... I've passed just to the south of that section numerous times and never new it was there. :clap:

Oh man that's what I'm talking about... I've passed just to the south of that section numerous times and never new it was there. :clap:

ive gone over there a bunch, each time the roads (the dirt roads) looked like they have been "oiled". not just watered down but actual oil used. made them slippery (fun) but real messy on the bike (on my old KLR and on the strom).

Here's a short but fun section north of Elgin. I usually hit this one on the way east from Coupland. It ends near the north end of the open pit mine. It's the eastern most part of this loop.

Google Link

There is a nasty section of sand that bit me on the tiger one day.

So is that whole loop dirt? If you remember which section is the sand I can add your pic to the Google Map. :thumb:

So is that whole loop dirt? If you remember which section is the sand I can add your pic to the Google Map. :thumb:

The eastern part of what google shows as a loop with the zig zags. The sand in in the straight part heading south after the sharp turns. The map wouldn't do just that segment. There must be a missing segment that makes the mapping software turn it into a loop.

I don't think its been mentioned, but one road thats more fun than a barrel of monkeys is middle creek road by blanco. Its about 7 miles east of blanco on 165 and comes out on 290. Its got it all, great paved section, a few miles of dirt (from 290 back to the creek) and an interesting low water crossing, shouldn't be as dry as this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9KE6S_ISk

I don't think its been mentioned, but one road thats more fun than a barrel of monkeys is middle creek road by blanco. Its about 7 miles east of blanco on 165 and comes out on 290. Its got it all, great paved section, a few miles of dirt (from 290 back to the creek) and an interesting low water crossing, shouldn't be as dry as this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9KE6S_ISk

That road looks great!@! I'll add it to the map....& maybe tj knows how to add the video too??? I'm assuming your video showed it from south to north with gravel on N end. Correct??

Back