• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

The eastern part of what google shows as a loop with the zig zags. The sand in in the straight part heading south after the sharp turns. The map wouldn't do just that segment. There must be a missing segment that makes the mapping software turn it into a loop.

Just to confirm, I put a place marker on the straight section on CR302 just south of the curvy section. Let me know if this is the spot.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....426769,-97.274666&spn=0.142099,0.209255&z=13

That road looks great!@! I'll add it to the map....& maybe tj knows how to add the video too???
Once you get the marker set, let me know and I'll add the video. In the short Google tutorial video they cover adding a YouTube video, so it shouldn't be a problem.

YouTube Video is now embedded :thumb:

Couple of questions.
1) Did you mean to use a water icon? I changed it to a regular icon since I didn't see water on the route.
2) Should we consider adding a 3rd color to represent a road that is both paved and dirt?

Watching the video seemed to show the bike going thru a creekbed with a small bit of water & he mentioned that it was from a while back when weather was really dry.

3rd color would be fine by me but would need the current posts updated. Shouldn't be too many though.Maybe add county at the same time.
Water Cross markers would be great in either paved (black/grey) or gravel (blue) color if possible."My icons" might be the ticket to create custom marks.

I don't think its been mentioned, but one road thats more fun than a barrel of monkeys is middle creek road by blanco. Its about 7 miles east of blanco on 165 and comes out on 290. Its got it all, great paved section, a few miles of dirt (from 290 back to the creek) and an interesting low water crossing, shouldn't be as dry as this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9KE6S_ISk

Hope ya don't mind....we added your video & a post for Middle Creek to the map. Actually....I see that you've got a few other vids of some of the roads already posted on the map.Would ya mind if we post those too??? Rod

Ooh man that Middle Creek road looks fun. Eric you appear to be going fast on the pavement and slower on the dirt.... isn't that backwards? :trust:

You guys are going nuts with the G-map, very cool.

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO RIDE FROM DALLAS TO SAN ANTONIO ON I35. There are too many nice county roads to enjoy.

I even hate to drive a car on I35! I cannot even imagine riding a motorcycle on it.

When I rode to College Station the weekend before Thanksgiving, I used only back roads. Sure it took longer, but that was just more time I got to enjoy the torrential rain we had that weekend. I only saw 1 other motorcycle during that whole 6 hour trip. I guess everyone else had better sense.:mrgreen:

I even hate to drive a car on I35! I cannot even imagine riding a motorcycle on it.

When I rode to College Station the weekend before Thanksgiving, I used only back roads. Sure it took longer, but that was just more time I got to enjoy the torrential rain we had that weekend. I only saw 1 other motorcycle during that whole 6 hour trip. I guess everyone else had better sense.:mrgreen:

.....Maybe not.....they mighta been on I35 gettin doused

Hope ya don't mind....we added your video & a post for Middle Creek to the map. Actually....I see that you've got a few other vids of some of the roads already posted on the map.Would ya mind if we post those too??? Rod

Thanks for the compliments on adv. Feel free to use any of them. I think I've done video of most of the interesting paved roads around fredericksburg and llano.

This was my first one, crabapple road running from enchanted rock to fredericksburg .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-sMIQFgAQ
Not a dirt road but still fun.

I posted some more of Eric2Tex's video links on the Google map.I don't know the process to embed them but this will work for now.
Some of the additions....Travis Co Cow Creek Rd & Lime Creek Rd....
& the existing post -VID adds...Althaus-Davis Rd,Blanco CR301 Cypress Creek Rd & CR302 Old Spicewood Rd & the post for Gillespie Co Every County Rd (water crossing icon in the middle of nowhere).

I don't know the process to embed them but this will work for now.

If it's a YouTube video, there are 2 options for links.
One is embed. Copy that code, then when you are editing the Google Map, switch to HTML mode and paste that in and save it and whoa-la, you've got it.
CAUTION: If you edit that post again in "Rich Text" mode, you will lose the code for the embedded video and will need to switch back to the HTML mode to correct it.

youtube_embed.jpg

This video has a section that explains it.

Good luck!! :thumb:

Quick update on Firefox crashing on a PC Microsoft Windows user.

I've had this happen a number of times to me so I downloaded Google Chrome and only use it when I'm viewing/editing the map. No issues with Google Chrome. It's a lame work around but at least I can still use the map. :brainsnap

SUCCESS!!!! A video of Althaus-Davis Rd is now posted.....THANX TJ

I'll work on the others....UPDATE more videos added ....after some fits & farts. Got the process down now.

Last edited:
I know of some dirt roads that are excellent to ride on but they happen to be on someone's personal property. If you look at a map, the road looks like it is public and sometimes is but happens to be on or surrounded by private property.

The spirit here is to find dirt roads that are fun to ride on that have very low to zero risk of upsetting the local property owners. That is what is meant by "Non-Invasive" Dirt roads.

I was reading back to figure out how to link a picture to the map and saw this. I have been a little concerned about getting this map out there to so many riders. My concern is about being a good neighbor to these people who live on and use these roads. Sometimes (not often) these CRs cut through someone's yard or in close proximity to their house. If we start having large (12 +) groups of riders going through frequently, this could cause some irritation to these people.

I guess what I'm saying is we should perhaps mention the need to be good road users and respectful of these people privacy. I've never seen anyone I've ridden with being anything but a good neighbor, but I would also hate to have these roads turned private cause 50 - 60 bikes a day are buzzing up and down the road. I know I wouldn't like bikes traveling at a high rate of speed in front of my house. Am I being concerned about nothing?

Now, how to link photos to the markers...

I was reading back to figure out how to link a picture to the map and saw this. I have been a little concerned about getting this map out there to so many riders. My concern is about being a good neighbor to these people who live on and use these roads. Sometimes (not often) these CRs cut through someone's yard or in close proximity to their house. If we start having large (12 +) groups of riders going through frequently, this could cause some irritation to these people.

I guess what I'm saying is we should perhaps mention the need to be good road users and respectful of these people privacy. I've never seen anyone I've ridden with being anything but a good neighbor, but I would also hate to have these roads turned private cause 50 - 60 bikes a day are buzzing up and down the road. I know I wouldn't like bikes traveling at a high rate of speed in front of my house. Am I being concerned about nothing?

Now, how to link photos to the markers...

Point taken Dahveed. I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned at least a few times in this thread, as well as hopefully in the descriptions of the roads you're referring to. Finally, this is supposed to be the "Non-Invasive" thread, so we're really looking for those roads that we can all ride and have fun on without irritating the local land owners.

+ Me on that point....I do ride briskly sometimes...but when nearing an area with houses,church,known ranch & farm gates...etc. I tone it down a bit & watch for cars pullin out...kids on ATVs....& DEFINATELY COWS...you name it,It will jump out at ya....I kno 1st hand.Had to sit out (or maybe that was lay out) of riding a while back after droppin the Great Pumkin (orange DL1000 #1) out by Lange's Mill west of Fredericksburg....The deer was fine.

Ouch, that's a big bike to drop. I like Lange's Mill.

I try to take it really easy around ranch houses, even if it looks like nobody is home. You never know when the landowner may be looking up from his breakfast to see you jumping cattleguards going past his yard at 70 mph. Not good... :)

Ouch, that's a big bike to drop. I like Lange's Mill.

I try to take it really easy around ranch houses, even if it looks like nobody is home. You never know when the landowner may be looking up from his breakfast to see you jumping cattleguards going past his yard at 70 mph. Not good... :)

Happened right in front of a deputy sheriff's house near 87.Had to leave the broken Pumkin in his yard & come back for it a few days later.The Pumkin migrated to Washington (& possibly Alaska) after that damage...& then came Strom #2....& #4 & well 69K later on the 650 "Buell Strom" #3...yep..still goin.

SUCCESS!!!! A video of Althaus-Davis Rd is now posted.....THANX TJ

I'll work on the others....UPDATE more videos added ....after some fits & farts. Got the process down now.

That is so cool. Get job getting it figured out. :clap:

This is collaboration at its finest. I've ridden that road and it all comes back as I'm watching the video. It's a great way to get an idea of what you're going to ride before you ride it. :rider:

Hey guys -

If, as the database grows, it turns out that this thread is useful to you and you find yourself referring to it often, you might consider dropping Scott (Tourmeister) a few bucks for the site. He's at $764 for this month and I'm guessing with the time spent maintaining it and $$ spent keeping it running, he'd appreciate the help. I'm also guessing it doesn't have to be much, and that $5 - $10 is welcome.

Thanks dudes!
J

BTW, check out my new (pedal) bike...
18636_1214027747620_1136593255_30605761_8361830_n.jpg

BTW, check out my new (pedal) bike...
18636_1214027747620_1136593255_30605761_8361830_n.jpg

Sweet wheels.

Now, after I've had a beer, eaten some dinner, and changed my bike's oil I probably don't have anything to worry about. It seems the people drawn to dual sport bikes are generally the type that are respectful of the residents. Those that are really fast (sport bikes) or those with really loud pipes (cruisers) are not going to want to be on these excellent gravel roads. That's their loss and our gain!

I met with some local TWT riders at Central Market here for a M&G&E. The KLR's were very well represented and I'll mention the map to those people in that thread.

This is a great project!! Kudos to all of you.
I'm wondering about how to expand this, in a separate map, into the region west and NW of DFW, such as the grasslands and roads up to the Red River area. Suggestions?

Also, have you guys considered a google website to link to your map(s)? It's easy to use/format and can also be a collaborative project. I've been playing with it to use for my recent BB trip, but it's not a collaborative project. I can see the potential how the two can be integrated (collaborative maps and website). Just a thought.

I sent Google a few questions regarding issues I've been having when posting new info or updating current stuff.Mainly that the map seems to want to divide my new posts onto a different page thus not showing all the markers at one time.This could be a good thing for separating the counties,areas, paved/gravel...etc. But it would require that the markers be able to be moved between pages to facilitate the separation process.
I haven't found a way to move the markers from page to page so far.The markers CAN be moved up & down on the same page to keep counties,areas in order.I haven't moved anything other than some of my own posts yet.
I'm finding out new things about posting on the map day by day (thanx TJ! & others too) Most of my posts have been paved rds instead of the original dirt rds closer to Austin intended but I think all riders can benefit from the listings.
We just need the organized separation of counties/areas to make the map more user friendly.

Back