• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"The Oasis of my Soul"... A Lifelong Journey on the road...

313872647_5r6cM-L.jpg

We are in Escalante, Utah…

If you have never done 95 and 12 from Blanding or vice versa you owe to yourself to do it as a once in a Lifetime amazing first “Utah’s All-American Road”. We are now in Escalante, our new home base for a while and will go back to explore and photograph one section at the time. My concept is always either no pictures or stop every mile!… It could have taken us weeks to get here.
There is so much that it could be overwhelming as besides the maps, the locals already have given me tips on out of the way destinations. In the meantime, Old Faithful decided to take a break by developing a rear final drive leak!… Just a seal. I am sure with the help of many on Motorcycle Forums I will be able to replace… when the part gets here! No overnight shipping in this town… So Spirit and I will check out by foot this small city… however a bit bigger than Bluff.
Enjoy the Antelope Slot “Upper” Canyon today on the Blog
Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

315573918_SSbCm-L.jpg

Some repairs in Escalante, Utah
We are on the road always at the mercy of a breakage. It is always the hidden factor that can change plans, routes and finances for sure. They came in threes! One more to go as far as fixing… waiting for a new rear hub seal, but in the meantime still riding a bit around the town.
The only Motorcycle Shop within two hundred miles is right here! A couple miles away… that is what I call good Karma as I was not aware of it when planning to come here. This is a main thoroughfare for two wheelers traveling, even travelers on foot, bicycles, and “Desert Doctor” does pretty well for the ill fated riders unprepared for this area.
It is getting hot during the day, I like it, just have to keep an eye on Spirit and from now on he will ride with his nice red cover on!… Never thought that one would come in so handy…
Enjoy the Blog… I know some of you will pass by here… let me know… will buy you a cup of coffee!!!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

316812110_qVnRq-L.jpg

Rolling again! Utah.
They came in three… they have been fixed in three! A bit of hiking with a very upset Spirit during a 5:30am wake up call, but all worth seeing the incredible colors of the Escalante Petrified Forest, another marvel accomplished by Mother Nature…
The new seal was waiting when we returned and so embarrassed to find out that it was the easiest repair I have ever done! Could not stay still too long after 3 days pretty much at idle… so a ride to Penguitch to meet some of the Rally goers and a beautiful night time ride back to camp, arriving around midnight!
All this in one day… seems that my energy has doubled since here!
Returning today, met up with some old friends at the “Beehive Beemer” get together, unfortunately it only took one, with his unprovoked profanities and foul language, a “dog hater” I was told by the registration desk, all this because Spirit was barking while I was using the facilities! A facet of a society I thought I had abandoned long time ago. As “management” was OK with it, only saying they are… “sooo sorry!“, a Charter Club, a disgrace to the Motorcycle community, we left the “space” fouled by this individual and waiting for a public apology. As I always say… “School is always open”…
Be well… all is well here!… including Spirit. Ara & Spirit

317948552_WnsqW-L.jpg

“The Dog Hater”… not “Whisperer!

When a “dog hater” (as described by the Rally organizers!), an uncaring “Rally Master” and us… end up being in the same vicinity, things do not go well. I have the outmost respect for anyone that does not like dogs… as there are many flavors of Ice cream, and that is OK… but when we get insulted, well, that is not…
It was a short stay at the Beehive Beemer Rally, we met many familiar faces, made some new Friends and the good of course outweighs the bad, if only it was not for those insults and profane language I had to hear… followed by an unconcerned Rally Master, barely listening to the situation.
The ride was fine, the rides are always fine specially since our mechanical issues have been addressed. Escalante to Penguitch is such a beautiful road allowing the traveler to take in the changes in colors of the sandstone, from white to an orangey red going through the Canyon. And for you all specially that are dog owners, I think this Blog will interest you…
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I, too, am appalled both by the acts of one foul-tempered individual and the indifference of those in charge. I've seen you and Spirit at a rally and he's a very good boy. Regardless, you keep him on a lead and don't "force" anyone to interact with him. I just fail to see how anyone with a dog-hating problem would be in any way inconvienenced by his mere presence in the vicinity.

But there is no doubt in my mind that the perpetrator in this case is a very small and miserable person in his day-to-day life. Ara, you and Spirit probably have more spiritual experience and joy in a single day than he has in years and years.

And let's not forget that old saying: "Karma's a *itch!"

But there is no doubt in my mind that the perpetrator in this case is a very small and miserable person in his day-to-day life.

signs064.gif
Sorry you had to endure this, Ara. Kindy scratch Spirit behind the ears for me.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard about a "dog hater" before. I can imagine how you felt, especially knowing how sweet and well behaved Spirit is.

Well, we are over it... it just was... I don't know, "strange"... "odd" and hurtful... Thanks for the support as I have written about it...

319338129_Kzn3B-L.jpg

Boulder, a cool little town, Utah

Unfortunately no pictures of the town itself today! It started storming before I even had a chance to pull the camera out of its bag. It is only 27 miles from here, there will be many more chances… We might even set up base camp in Boulder as almost at 1000 feet higher the weather is much cooler. Escalante is becoming hot. We met up with Ron, owner of “Motorcycle Repair and Rendez Vous and that was a great time chatting… he even bought me lunch! The day could not get any better. Well, it did as we met another roadside attraction… Joe… crossing the country on Roller Blades! Yes… It is a shame that we cannot just pull up a chair and sit by the side of the road, there are all kinds of travelers coming through, trust me!
In case you do not read the Blog, many thanks for all the support you have send us including all the kind words. It is water under the bridge… The replies from the responsible parties of course almost made me the bad guy with the bad dog! Forget it… Karma will take its course! I do not carry or want that kind of energy.
Be well… always… the sun is shining today. Ara & Spirit

320431421_DDzYc-L.jpg

4, 60, 300 and the “Burr trail”, Utah…

You will need to read the Blog to find out about the 4, 60 and 300... Somehow they all fell on the same day!
With 2 million acres surrounding us we are liable to experience some areas unadvertised as the Burr Trail. I had this vision for a moment of gates and shuttles taking the tourists back and forth within that incredible Canyon that was such a surprise to me. Hope as it did in Zion it never happens here. Do not pass Boulder without riding or driving that road including the switchbacks… they are car friendly roads, a bit of washboards, not to be adventured on in rainy times.
Whenever we stopped only smells and silence prevailed. We both needed this day, it does not cease to amaze me how vast and incredible this area is. We were not prepared to camp overnight but will soon…
Have fun following the road, this is a two part mini Adventure!!!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

322019719_fMeTK-L.jpg

*Picture above has been HDR digitally enhanced.

Up to the “T” on the Burr Trail…
We turned around at the “T” on the Burr Trail, we were not ready to go any further that day, but will next time and camp out going south to Lake Powell. There is an incredible isolation here on and off the roads. The “space” has changed, it is not Moab, it is not Monument Valley… it is an entity of its own, the closest being Valley of the Gods. Having lived on a sailboat for many years, it is as being out to sea, all alone and with a bit of constant thoughts, an inner, I might call it, “apprehension” maybe, as not to break down as these are not at all well traveled roads.
They are mostly demanding and definitely require an advance knowledge of the weather, they require much water specially being in in summer time. Tools and food a must… they stay on the rig 24/7 never unloaded, cannot afford to forget anything.
Much changes in the sceneries, rocks formations and even roads… that is what is on the Blog today…
Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

323260423_tox8y-L.jpg

Wodstoe, a ghost of a Ghost Town, Utah

You definitely have it all here. The Red Canyons, the flat Desert and the high altitude unpaved forest roads of the Dixie National Forest. Take your pick as we did trying to find the ghost town of Wodstoe passing right by the area that was on fire last week. From what seemed to be Wodstoe, southbound to the entrance of Bryce Canyon, a little detour while closing the loop back to Escalante to Grosvernor Arch and even as we were by then loosing the sun just a few minutes at the Kodachrome State Park where the trails are many and so are photo opportunities. Sometimes I feel as we are still scouting the area as some of them we need to go back and spend more time.
The big aspect of it all has been the lack of traffic in this area. Maybe this will all change as the Fourth of July weekend is coming up? This all feels as we are in a separate part of the World, so far from anything one might have a need for… even finding decent food sometimes is a task waiting for the days of delivery! Be well… Ara & Spirit

323260292_jpRK8-L.jpg

Saving Spirit and the end of “that” ride, Utah.

A reader asked me, rightly so, how it came about for Spirit and I to be together… It is amazing how some moments are never forgotten and one can relive them! It was then, 3 years have passed and I can just hope for many more to come by one day at the time.
And then the end of a great day’s ride to Gosverner Arch, a bumpy road with much washboard and deep sand combination testing again the limits of the rig with a knobby that is almost gone. We are going through rear tires a bit too fast, those knobbies disappear “like butter”, but it is our only way to handle the local back roads. Riding the black top to get to them does not help either.
Happy 4th of July to you all… be careful with that BBQ! We need to find one ourselves, it is good weather for it.
Enjoy the Blog, the long weekend… till later, you all be well.
Ara & Spirit

325850259_ZYYcH-L.jpg

“One door closes, another one opens up…”

If you believe in above, well, it will happen as it happens to us quite often, one reason to stay calm when some doors shut hard, the draft of Life will ajar another one fairly quickly!
The bottom line? Cost of living has tremendously gone up these past two years, in fuel, food, tire and oil changes alone the budget has been screaming! We are here to explore this incredibly large area, at the same time stumbled on a two days a week work situation that you need to read about! Just too good to pass it up… it is a Dog loving circle where… you “have” to bring your Dog to work with you! For now it is all good and will just see what happens later as the cold weathers will come back and will need to move on as we always have done… I cannot even think that far ahead… So no excuse to not stop by and see us, either in Escalante or Boulder where we will be two days a week… working hard, meaning I will… with Spirit’s supervision! As usual…
“The Burr Trail Grill and Outpost” is the name by the way…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

Saving Spirit and the end of “that” ride, Utah.

A reader asked me, rightly so, how it came about for Spirit and I to be together… It is amazing how some moments are never forgotten and one can relive them! It was then, 3 years have passed and I can just hope for many more to come by one day at the time.

Every dog owner needs to read that - 2x@ - sorry - can't type, something keeps dripping on my keyboard... :thumb:

It's haveway down the page after the latest entry - Burr Trail grill...

Hi Gilk51... wish everyone in the World understood it!... it would be a better place to live! Thanks...

327267039_VSACt-L.jpg

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

Hard to believe how long we have been in Utah and the discoveries just will not cease! Kodachrome Basin State Park is a “gem” to be savored, all the colors throughout the many intensities of the sun rays culminating with the incredible hues of the “pipes” and rocks at sunset makes one wonder through the photos if it is even real or Photoshoped! It is not!!! Almost fluorescent for a few moments, for the last minutes of the day they are as unseen anywhere else.
It was a hot day, a bit absent minded forgetting many things we needed, but… with a bit of imagination a couple hikes were possible!
Hope you get to experience it soon… and yes, Dogs are allowed on the trails, how refreshing.
You be well… Ara & Spirit

329192865_VUQu6-L.jpg

****’s Backbone loop and bridge, Utah

A name that stands for the fact that it follows a ridge with sheer drops on each side, but also must have been given for its washboard quality unseen from my part before!
It is a spectacular trail, they say suited for a passenger car, I say “not really” unless an SUV, some good suspension and patience.
We have the company of a reader, Pete, from near San Diego, with a unique trailering device as he is riding his 1974 Honda Sabre pulling his Suzuki DR 350... You read right! 2 motorcycles, one rider on his own Journey for a month.
An unhappy “morning grouchy” Spirit… a 5am wake up call is too early for him, I will let him sleep in a bit today!
A bit wondering where winter will take us, where would be interesting good weathered lands for those cold months, the third round for us since on the road…
All in the Blog… As always, be well… Ara & Spirit

330162016_de3c5-L.jpg

Is it more than just a road? More on ****’s Backbone… Utah

Since joining American Road Forum, the more scenic and difficult the road traveled gets, the more I want to read about it, find out its history, and cannot help thinking about its past, sometimes visualizing the hundreds of people that have built it at a time where the machinery used was definitely not what we have today! ****’s Backbone has been one of those, specially when around a curve one can suddenly see about a mile of it as a ribbon following the curves of its mountains.
I am also finding myself having to be detached from the kitchen where I spend my first day working solo. Finding out that all these years have followed me, are still part of me. It is a great job as I have to tell myself to go in, do the work and leave without any thoughts of… improving this or that! When I see Spirit behind that screen door I am content that Karma has presented this path for us, we could not have asked for more.
I think the Blog says it all… Be well, Ara & Spirit

332297902_pehFm-L.jpg

Vagabonding to Capitol Reef, Utah
In the beginning “nice” was having an Internet connection… today nice is taking off knowing that there will be none. “Destinations” were planned, today it is just wandering with only a eye out for the weather going the opposite direction of the clouds. There will always be a surprise in Utah that will materialize as it did these past days. It was Gooseneck Point and Capitol Reef and a nice cool shaded campground. Shade is good these days as we are entering the hottest days of the year. It makes it for interesting viewing when finally coupled with the laptop looking back at all the pictures taken.
I felt bad for some riders the other day on their way up to an Annual BMW Rally. They still had 10 days to get there but their leader never taking his helmet off while gassing up kept honking the horn while others and I where chatting and taking pictures. Memories of blurred miles markers versus seeing so much beauty they will miss… hope that some day they will slow down… Been there, done that… “this” is much nicer…
Check out the Blog… and be well, Ara & Spirit

Quality better than quantity!

333486173_2m5sK-L.jpg

A bit more of Capitol Reef, the “Grand Wash”, Utah
Great commercial shot above!… it is a great helmet with the visor really protecting from the sun quite often. One can do the “Grand Wash” in an hour or spend all day as we almost did. Walking part of it is also a great experience between the walls of this Canyon with a constant change in the rock formations and endless colors of red hues. Stay away if ever storming, you will see the signs anyhow, the flash floods must be tremendous and happens so fast.
The “space” at the campground is real peaceful and as much as I don’t care too much for them we had a great time, a social time exchanging stories with the tourists passing by. Spirit of course is always the highlight, myself… more and more I feel as a Travel or Tour Guide agent! It has been nice to share the little bit of knowledge I have acquired from Utah…
Enjoy the Blog… and till next time you all be well.
Ara & Spirit

Yes... I try to drag it for him to no avail...:eek2:

334570005_7ih82-L.jpg

Into the Gorge of Capitol Reef, Utah
The incredible sceneries do not stop in Utah. Water sure has created so much, so many Canyons that we can actually ride through, Canyons where in the past recent years “humans” have worked hard at it for our vehicles to witness what has taken so many years to accomplish. The “Gorge” at Capitol Reef is definitely one of those places where one can spend much time as we did when we arrived into it before sunrise, one of the best times of the day.
The ride out of Capitol Reef through Dixie National Forest is always also so spectacular, more and more I feel as being in another part of the world as traffic is almost inexistent and slowly one can feel detached from it all, “all” being the outside World.
Spirit is doing great, we are not hitting hot spots anymore, keeping the hiking mainly in the early mornings or late afternoon and looking for some shade during the day.
Pictures? Too many really… for sure some great memories we will have.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

Think about getting a 'coffee table' book published of your photos, Ara. You have a keen eye and I sure would buy a book of your pics!! Pet Spirit; have fun.

HI DB... It is an idea I am pursuing... More pictures than text which will be brief and some comments of readers from the Blog. I have very nice readers that have written some awesome words... Just cannot do it right now as there is a much bigger idea in the works... soon! In the meantime... I am also re-organizing all my photos on SmugMug and switching all the merchandise to them... I will have a sale on the T shirts on hand soon... Imagine that... Thanks for the thoughts...

335642668_KUaXs-L.jpg

Bad weather is here… Utah.
Suddenly outdoor activities are a bit curtailed. We have been so fortunate throughout all this time to not really having bad weather which would hold us back from the road. But here it is… Still, not getting to adventurous, we managed to ride a bit of Hole in the Rock Road where we did not even make it to Devil’s Garden… The washboard situation almost becomes a nightmare… fast or slow the fear comes up that something is definitely going to break! Slow turns out to be a better solution and then we have a bit of engine overheat.
Will be going back to Moab in a couple days to meet a Friend which we have never met… Hope that makes sense… the wonders of the Internet! All should be cleared up by then and I think even Spirit will be ready… he is always ready!
Some dark clouds… followed by a downpour all night… That is what we got!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

339011372_Uzsxq-L.jpg

A visit in Moab with my Friend Paul, Utah

The heat, the humidity and jungle like bugs made our stay in Moab a difficult experience for the both of us. We talked much, cooked much and saw a few sights including getting ourselves up to some cooler elevations doing the loop through La Salle mountains. I would however, difficult or not, do it again as I took away with me some valuable perspective about my own insight regarding how to deal with Life within these times where the heart will never be complete but the mind and spirit needs to go on. It is as a new chapter has made its way into my days, a challenge that needs to be won…
A couple Blogs actually have been posted since I have written here as time did not allow it.
You be well… till next time, enjoy.
Ara & Spirit

Back