• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"The Oasis of my Soul"... A Lifelong Journey on the road...

340623358_JJwaF-L-1.jpg

A familiar face and a bit of Bryce Canyon, Utah

Always nice to see a familiar face specially when one cannot remember when was the last time… It seems that it was Naples, Florida, while cooking a special dinner for some Friends we have in common. On his own Journey from Canada, Louis and a couple of his riding Friends stopped by overnight… for an evening of true comedy, laughter and a local dinner.
Awaiting for another Friend from Louisiana this time we could not go too far. Bryce Canyon was the perfect place to spend a day riding and taking pictures before the daily monsoon arrived. Of course we barely got wet as usual, just a nice needed cooling off.
It truly felt more being in Europe while in the Park, it is an amazing feeling not to hear English being spoken anymore!
Enjoy the pictures and a bit of Geology…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

342007842_h5eBQ-L-1.jpg

Another Friend, a new Slot Canyon and an abused Spirit! Utah…
Yes, I am enjoying entertaining and playing the guide, the cook and bottle washer… all at the same time. As myself when in a new area I like to discover my surrounding through my own senses, I don’t say much, only make a route and let Mother Nature do the rest. As we are slower than two wheels, specially in the curves, I told Brian to go ahead till he reached a meeting point. But he stayed behind for most of the time finding out that “it is nice to slow down and actually see the surroundings…”. A mental and physical break for sure only leaving some good memories.
The ride, the day and the meals including another form of stew and breakfast with great coffee was memorable for the both of us. Always a stew?… a one pan meal? There is not much around here at the local Grocery store… really not much.
Not to be mean… I love Spirit… but we were in laughter when 6 other dogs started abusing him… His reaction? A firm “enough is enough!” as the little guys flew away… literally!
That picture is on the Blog…Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

He sure did!!!:eek2:

343358339_sggK5-L-1.jpg

On the road to “Cedar Breaks”, Utah…
Some feel good at home, in an “established” environment… walls… windows and doors. More and more I feel as my “home” is the road and its shoulders. We cannot forget the shoulders! They are meeting points, they are as sightseeing platforms for the multitude of personalities and vehicles going by. A shoulder is where I met Joe rollerblading across the country, also Joff on his penny-farthing around the world, bicyclists, walkers… you name it. The shoulders have been where names and e mail addresses have been exchanged, hands shaken. They are the spots where Spirit makes himself comfortable, drinks his water and does his thing! Sometimes we will even meet a reader and surprise them… sometimes another rider with a flat and even as a few days ago the Goldwing riders all set up for lunch with table and all! You add a beautiful road as the one we took passing by Lake Penguitch to Cedar break and that about sums it up… The roads are “Home”!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

Hey Ara, wasn't that Pat you met on the K1200? I know her from another couple of forums (same forums I know Donna from). It sure is a small world!

Last edited:
Hey Ara, wasn't that Pat you met on the K1200? I know her from another couple of forums (same forums I know Donna from). It sure is a small world!

Nice to read you "square peg"! Hope all is well with you... Yes, that was Pat! What a bike!!!... unreal...
Will be coming back to Texas soon!!! Can't help it... You all are just too friendly...
Be well... always...
Ara & Spirit

I know you've probably answered this question a thousand times, but I 've searched and can't find it. Can you share what your camera setup is?
Do you do much in the way of post-shoot manipulation?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I know you've probably answered this question a thousand times, but I 've searched and can't find it. Can you share what your camera setup is?
Do you do much in the way of post-shoot manipulation?

Thanks,

It is such a learning curve!!! They are most from a Canon 30D with a 17~85mm IS lens. Keep in mind that the 30D is a 1.6 to 1 frame conversion. Since it has to go to Canon for serious cleaning besides the sensor which I have learned to clean myself I went for broke, litteraly, and using now a Canon 5D with a 24~105mm IS "L" lens. The kit was on sale... of course because the new 5D is out due anytime! It is much sharper and 12+MG for big blow ups... maybe some day!
Post processing! Much talk about "digital manipulation"... I use GIMP 2.4, it is free as I cannot afford Photoshop... Because my Blog has a dark background I do enhance sometimes the saturation and that is really about it... I have too many pictures to spend hours on them as I spend hours taking them... trying to have a lot of patience being at the right time at the right place... Some photos are just documents, bad sky color... bad sun... but I use them anyhow without much of a choice. Then they are the good pictures... and then the once in a few thousands... WOW picture!!!
This is my favorite one while camping in Terlingua...
276120753_PY5AG-L.jpg

and this one a sunset at Sotol Look out in Big Bend, Mexico 13 miles away and some storms moving by... Magical moments! Talking about being at the right place at the right time... I must have taken about 400 shots!!! Just could not stop...

276120734_ZLzzq-L.jpg

That was with the 30D... hope all this helps!!! Come and visit this winter... we will be 20 miles north of Terlingua!... you know, that good stuff... campfire, BBQ, lies...

Be well... Ara & Spirit

343352282_w9A4p-L-2.jpg

More of Cedar Breaks, Utah…
The longer we are on the road, the more I want to go back to older technology. Honestly. I have been on WI FI lately and today trying out my normal connection through the Dish as we will use this winter when headed south to more… Desert, well, it is slow compared. I have been spoiled… All has changed so much it seems like. I would even settle for a couple horses and a buggy if needed. But those are dreams, I think.
The cause of it might be all the sights we are seeing lately, specially Cedar Breaks… such beauty in such an unexpected place which suddenly is there with no warning as was the Grand Canyon and many other wonders.
We also went to our first Farmer’s Market the other day… not much available yet and… expensive! What are they thinking I wonder… but we bought a couple things and the ride sure was nice in this cool early morning and a sky guiding us with the sun rays.
Some colorful times!
Be well… Ara & Spirit

347005089_YjjcN-L.jpg

More Friends visiting, Utah…
Even for those that have seen Utah, this area astonishes them with its incredibly vast spaces and raw beauty. I am even myself starting to feel isolated from the rest of the country when trying to ride roads we have yet to be on. There are just so many and when Friends visit, it is always such a big choice. Burr Trail has become a Classic in my book and every time we leave I am already thinking about coming back. I am glad that they left yesterday as suddenly the weather has changed and I learned from other travelers that the roads I took them on already had knee high water from flash floods.
Thinking about slowly heading south. The food situation here is pathetic… One store, which has truly nothing! Not even a decent potato! I wonder what the locals do? I was going to ask the owner, but then again what for!
Spirit even is into his down time. I don’t like it as he needs the exercise, as I myself do. Maybe a couple more days and all will clear up. Glad to have taken this ride, now a memory on the Blog.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

348166016_EcYvc-L-1.jpg

Calf Creek hike, Utah
We have been camped out at the same spot for a while now. Considering there are so many destinations within a few hundred miles with the ability to travel lightly, the past few weeks have been great. But southern heat or not, untraveled roads, it is time to move on and bite into deeply the adventures and new horizons waiting for us. The feeling for so many taking roots I know is always a comfort, it only works the other way for us. How strange, moving on is comfortable. Always curious what is over the next Mountain, the end of that road facing us, the other side of the curve we cannot quite see from here.
The weather pattern has always been fine in the mornings and severely dark by afternoon. We both finally got soaked yesterday from the rain and the hail riding back from the 6 mile hike to the Lower Falls of Calf Creek. Too lazy to put on the rain pants!
Live and learn. Enjoy the hike…Be well… Ara & Spirit

349640646_C2rAR-L.jpg

Will this makes us Texans and Big Benders???

In a month or so from now we will be camping on “The Oasis of my Soul”… You will have to read the Blog to find out how all this has come about. It will be our winter own slice of Heaven, 25 miles north of Big Bend on some away from the road 10 acres of pristine land made of hard limestone with an all weather accessible road. It will be yours also to be shared for anyone wanting to camp or a comfy bed, good food and conversations around a campfire. It will be another facet of the Journey with much emphasize on developing some Photographic skills to try to make something out of it… amongst thousands of other great Photographers!… Hand in hand with the Blog with much more riding throughout the country the rest of the year, these thoughts and dreams becoming reality have me going with renewed energy. Hope to see you there sometime experiencing as we have done in the past and will in the near future the astonishing vast open spaces of the Big Bend area.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

351659937_iQ9Ud-L.jpg

The intimate Devil’s Garden… Escalante/Utah
If you like to play amongst the Hoodos and the Goblins this is your playground! A nice washboard road to get there, early morning will make you the star witness of the change of colors on those free standing weathered by time rock structures. Hiking the easy loop over and over is like every time hiking it for the first time as the sun rising is constantly changing the scenes on this stage empty of visitors. We were lucky with the weather that day, a weather a bit crazy mixed with unpredictable rains and sunshine constantly switching with no warnings.
We are headed south tomorrow morning, its time and as every space we get attached to, it is with regrets and excitement all at the same time. This is one area we will return to fill in the blanks, I hope, in the meantime the thrill of seeing Zion is ahead of us and the golden key awaits for us in Big Bend.
The Hoodos and the Goblins! Some pretty cool characters
Be well… Ara & Spirit

'quote" If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

I reject your reality, and instead, substitute my own.

I carry a gun because I cant carry a cop (stolen). 'quote'

Too funny!!!...
We will be all over Texas soon!!!... and... after 40 years of cooking I HAVE to now learn how to make my own Texan BBQ!!! I know... it is serious business...
no laughing matter here...
239328927_tcd5b-L.jpg

239328940_NZcib-M.jpg

239328959_CjDVK-M.jpg

City Market, Luling! He only let me take pictures while he had his back turned! I thought he was going to hit me with one of those logs when I asked him!!!...:rofl: ... and yes, that was all for me... and Spirit also! I LOVE BBQ!!!

'quote" If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

I reject your reality, and instead, substitute my own.

I carry a gun because I cant carry a cop (stolen). 'quote'

Too funny!!!...
We will be all over Texas soon!!!... and... after 40 years of cooking I HAVE to now learn how to make my own Texan BBQ!!! I know... it is serious business...
no laughing matter here...
239328927_tcd5b-L.jpg

239328940_NZcib-M.jpg

239328959_CjDVK-M.jpg

City Market, Luling! He only let me take pictures while he had his back turned! I thought he was going to hit me with one of those logs when I asked him!!!...:rofl: ... and yes, that was all for me... and Spirit also! I LOVE BBQ!!!

BC, you could spend years going to all the good Texas BBQ joints. Martins in Bryan has its own historical marker. Look forward to seeing you on the road somewhere.

353353870_hXUAR-L.jpg

It is 108 degrees in Zion, Utah.
As if the coin has flipped, all changed when arriving here in Zion. From a couple cars a day to mega shuttles trailering other shuttles and a lack of parking spaces within miles, from just a few hikers and intimate conversations to an exodus of tourists stomping the grounds with a thousand feet, from the crisp cool air of Escalante to an over bearing and weight heavy immobile hot air… All this has thrown me off only making me think how can I escape it all. I can’t. Just a phase we have to go through needing to eventually go to St George next week or so, visits that need to be done before diving back into the Texas deserts soon again. Eye exam, dentist, clothing and who knows what else!
I had a few photos left from Devil’s Garden that are now up on the Blog, a couple comments from readers that I wanted to post and overall just trying to keep it together and not be overwhelmed by these sudden changes!
As they say, all things must pass… this will too… They are a couple out of the way areas we will spend some time at.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

I can already taste it Sacr04!!! I might have to do a Texas BBQ ride tour!!! I am sure it has been done before...

355112280_5gtug-L.jpg

Some World Wide Traveler Friends… Zion, Utah.
Finally after months of e mails with Alain and his wife Chris, we met in Zion! That is just how it goes. Planning on the road does not work very well and is an accepted fact among us. We actually meet more Travelers we had not planned to than if we did. They are from the south of France, near by where I was born and I can still remember having his accent! I cannot describe it… it is too unique. 4 months of the road now in the USA, on their way to Mexico, South America and finally Asia. They only have two years, as we do they would like to spend more time in one place, but two years is such a short time for their route.
We parted this morning, we have a standing invitation in the South of France… I hope some day I can manage to take Spirit to Europe maybe.
We ourselves are now north of St George and will start some rides with my Friend Michael and also that “good stuff” such as eye exam and Dr’s in the big City.
Enjoy the Blog… and be well.
Ara & Spirit

356722515_6RGsy-L.jpg

A loop North of St George, Utah
We keep on rolling in Utah. It just does not end! We are settled I have to admit pretty comfortably at my Friends house, Michael and Sandra, while doing some errands in St George before headed south in a couple of weeks.
We have been here before, this is like the yearly “get it all back together” stop. I thought we had seen it all last year, had ridden all the roads, but Michael has of course many more destinations up his sleeve. I think he only divulge his secret destinations in small dosage!
From “Mountain Meadows” to “Lion’s mouth” to Cedar City and back here also riding “Kolob Canyon” Rd, it was a fine ride, as good as they get.
Much thoughts about Texas, just thinking without any concrete decisions as how we are going to live down there on a land with no power, water, septic… and a real tight budget! Almost a challenge which should be in itself and interesting feat.
Enjoy the ride… we sure did.
Be well, Ara & Spirit

357507956_f6T9K-L-2.jpg

More Friends and a “Dammeron” loop, Utah
One more time we met up with a couple readers, from Logan this time, on their own escapade following our footsteps, or maybe vice versa!
Paul and Mariko, members of the “Expedition Portal” Forum, a Forum filled with adventure reports from all over the World and much information on how to survive the vast empty lands, some very cool vehicles also.
A ride to Pine Valley and its forest, luscious greens and creeks. It was then on to another loop west of 18 this time through Gunlock Rd and back a dirt road through some BLM land we had camped on last year passing a couple reservoirs.
There is no lack of riding around here, after all, we are still in Utah!
We are preparing ourselves for the road to Toroweap, 90 miles into some of the most isolated part of the country overlooking the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow will be doing Joshua Rd loop and another attraction near by. Eventually we will rest!
More pictures on the Blog…Be well, Ara & Spirit

Was reading in your blog about the massacre at Mountain Meadows in Utah. While I was wandering about Arkansas a few years back I found this sign.
MtMeadowsMassacre.jpg

The harshness of the west and the people in general is really amazing. It was a cruel and hard life back then.

Thank you for sending me the picture. How sad. That was the start and here was the end. It makes me wonder so often...

359664550_Wb2ZM-L.jpg

Golden Butte Rd and Whitney Pocket. Nevada.
I sure hope that you all dual sport riders from Nevada or near by have ridden the loop to the ancient town of Golden Butte and stopped as we did at Whitney Pocket, also admiring the Art work 2 miles off the main road… to the right.
Out of nowhere as usual, totally off the beaten path considering we did not see a soul all day, lays one of, now, my favorite destination. Moss, caves, multi color rocks, sandstone, portals, petroglyphs, narrow trails… It was a quick scouting day trip and we have reservations for early next year in a bit of cooler weather.
Mojave went up to 107 degrees and felt on the way back as riding through a furnace. Spirit did really good with his cover on and his soft bowl of water always in front of him. He is definitely a tough guy now! Of course he will never pass up a chance to lay in the shade!
I could not fit all the photos in one Blog, so this will be part one of two…
Be well… Always. Ara & Spirit

Back