• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Pan America is official...what do we think?

I am not sure about this, but I think the engine is made in Taiwan.
According to what I read, engines will be made in Milwaukee and the rest of the bike at the York, PA plant.

I wanted to test ride a AT at my local Honda dealer. I was told to buy it first, then if I didn't like it , they would give me my money back! 🤪

Is Polaris American owned? Zero is great, but an IC engine is still needed for now.

Cool. I still want HD to make it. More competition and more American owned companies making it is better IMO.

Only what I've heard others like Jarrett and a few say or post. I haven't been that lucky as far as Japanese go.

To be fair, I think some of the dealers new if Jarrett rode it he'd likely but it. :lol2:

I think you hit the crux of it. When I bought my GSA they were very hesitant I demo ride it, so I ultimately bought blind. Same with my little Kawasaki. But I was a relatively young guy with 1-2 years of riding experience.

But if I go to my dealer today and ask for a demo ride on a bike I want to buy I’d be pretty certain they would figure it out (at least the euro bikes). But I’ve had a relationship for 2 years now, and they know I buy bikes.

First bikes I have ever demo were Yamahas last week because they had a big demo event in Austin.

Still, I would love a BMW all bikes demo day like the one that happened in DFW.

I‘ll be keeping an eye on a Pan America demo near my neck of the woods. There’s a big Harley dealership 10 min away, hopefully they do some.

Last edited:
I actually took the AT out twice at DFW Honda for a test ride. They put the lower seat in for me. They had the bike outside and said the key is in it. The AT is staying.

I like Harleys maybe just from an American Icon stance. IDK. My Ultra has been a great bike but I may switch to the PA. But to MR72's point, I would buy a PA just because it's a Harley.

I think I'll never start buying bikes without a test ride. And for me it's more that I can fall back in love with one that I didn't like on paper, usually due to weight. That's why I bought a Bonneville instead of a Ducati Scrambler... I was convinced the power and weight of the Duc would be the killer app but the on the bike feel of the Triumph won me over instantly. IDK, motorcycling is so much about how you feel doing it, I can't imagine making a choice like this without trying it.
I've never bought a bike without at least test riding a similar model. I once expressed interest in a Ducati 900SS. No demo rides, so I never bought a Ducati. Ended up with a Buell a few years later and loved it.

So - how many rode it, and how many of those are buying one?

I want to test ride a 1100 Honda rebel and even if I love it I am not buying one. I say the Harley ds sells we will know by next fall. It is a good way to test a new powerplant platform. Pop that puppy in crusers and sport bikes if it is reliable, then you got something. They will be less $$$ for basic models. How about a new sportster from the ground up with a 150 hp. :eek2:
Emission driven changes. Air cooled are fading, and I love them.

This probably won’t answer your question but, I wouldn’t have considered one before, but now I would say it was in the running if I was going to purchase something like it. All thanks to a decent product and a test ride. This coming from a lifelong Harley basher.

It is a good way to test a new powerplant platform. Pop that puppy in crusers and sport bikes if it is reliable, then you got something. They will be less $$$ for basic models. How about a new sportster from the ground up with a 150 hp. :eek2:
Emission driven changes. Air cooled are fading, and I love them.
They must have used knowledge gained from the V-Rod and it was reliable. I'd like to see a modern, street legal version of the VR1000.
4AATZG3PBQWVFGPQLFNOMWLJGU.jpg

They must have used knowledge gained from the V-Rod and it was reliable. I'd like to see a modern, street legal version of the VR1000.
View attachment 291220
I had two friends that had V- Rods
I counted 16 Daytona 200 wins for Harley. Last two 1968 and 1969 Cal Rayborn on all air cooled machines. They can win it again in the future. I think that would be cool in America. American Cal Rayborn died too soon at 33 in Dec. 1973 at a New Zealand race. as most know his engine seized on the Suzuki trying to run methanol. and he hit the wall.

Last edited:
I rode it. Liked it a lot. Would buy one right now if available.
It doesn’t matter to me that it’s a Harley or not, if it can wheelie or not, if there is an abundance of dealer support right now or not. I buy bikes because I like them and if they “fit” me. The Pan American does. I’m not going to worry about it breaking down and not having a dealer to hold my hand. Same reason I didn’t buy the extended warranty on my new truck. I’ve had more than my fair share of “orphan” motorcycles and cars, (how many 1980 KZ-1300 6 cylinder bikes or M-B SL600 V-12 roadsters do you see around?) didn’t stop me from buying and enjoying them. I never was one to go along with the herd. This thing kicks butt and I was smiling for the entire test ride. That’s why I ride, because it’s fun at the moment. Guess I’m a glass half-full kinda guy.
That said, where do I sign up?

I rode it. Liked it a lot. Would buy one right now if available.
It doesn’t matter to me that it’s a Harley or not, if it can wheelie or not, if there is an abundance of dealer support right now or not. I buy bikes because I like them and if they “fit” me. The Pan American does. I’m not going to worry about it breaking down and not having a dealer to hold my hand. Same reason I didn’t buy the extended warranty on my new truck. I’ve had more than my fair share of “orphan” motorcycles and cars, (how many 1980 KZ-1300 6 cylinder bikes or M-B SL600 V-12 roadsters do you see around?) didn’t stop me from buying and enjoying them. I never was one to go along with the herd. This thing kicks butt and I was smiling for the entire test ride. That’s why I ride, because it’s fun at the moment. Guess I’m a glass half-full kinda guy.
That said, where do I sign up?
Spot on! It is a grin inducing machine, at least for me. It exceeded my expectations though, to be honest, I was expecting something more akin to a slow revving shaker from a sportster transplanted. What I experienced was a higher revving, smoother, quieter powerplant that puts down competitive power. If one isn't going to try hardcore ADV (and most Multistradas Tigers or even GS don't really), the PA is a legit contender. It's comfortable, has impressive wind protection and had a fun factor for the riding I would do on it.

As for where to sign up, if you did the demo day, you'll have ample opportunities from emails, surveys and phone calls to share your interest. Hope to see you on the road on one!

BTW, the main press intro is being done at Jim Hyde's Zakar facility. That's where they do the GS (and other ADV) off-road training. I'll be curious to see the media's impressions in that environment even though I'll likely never do that kind of riding.

If one isn't going to try hardcore ADV (and most Multistradas Tigers or even GS don't really), the PA is a legit contender.
Let's be honest...99.9% aren't going to. I have a 1250GSA because it's the most comfortable 2-up sports-tourer out there and we can hit a few gravel & fire roads with it if we want to.

Let's be honest...99.9% aren't going to. I have a 1250GSA because it's the most comfortable 2-up sports-tourer out there and we can hit a few gravel & fire roads with it if we want to.

That's like everyone driving Jeep Wranglers.

But that's similar to why I keep my GS500 around... with the light ADV conversion at least it can do gravel or rutted/damaged roads without a) dumping me on the ground or b) costing $1000 in British parts to repair, and with more suspension travel it's much more comfortable than the Triumph.

This guy is in south Illinois, I liked that his dealer is taking the Pan Am seriously,

794eddba84514881c14216165ef79dbb.jpg

From advrider

Rider Magazine loves it and has on line test for the brute .Maybe someone can post it, I couldn't

Last edited:
Back