• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Quest for Chili.... Big Bend in November - The Report

:tab We need to do a BIG camping event, somewhere that will be most likely to draw a large group, then have a camp cook off ;-) You, Cagiva549, Tx Rider and a few others could compete in the TWT Camp Cook Smackdown :lol2: Maybe the TWT Iron Chef?

:tab We need to do a BIG camping event, somewhere that will be most likely to draw a large group, then have a camp cook off ;-) You, Cagiva549, Tx Rider and a few others could compete in the TWT Camp Cook Smackdown :lol2: Maybe the TWT Iron Chef?

I would be willing to donate my time for the good of the TWTEX community and be one of the judges :eat:

218294578-M.jpg

Gee I wonder what they are talking about.....

Gee I wonder what they are talking about.....

Well, if we can't figure it out I've got some surveillance-type video from across the street that is pretty interesting... :trust:

My Turn

Day One

I had been working on my bike the weekend before the trip

IMGP4225.jpg

and disconnected the battery and forgot to change the time....so I was LATE. and I didn't even know it until the day of riding was almost over and something was mentioned, but I think that's pretty good that only one thing was mentioned....however, I had a real problem with time this whole trip.....and it wasn't that I was always late. :trust:

IMGP4809.jpg

The trip out was so misty and dark, that was basically all I could see. Had to keep wiping my windscreen

IMGP4811.jpg

It got better and better though, and since we were on the move to get there before dusk, we didn't waste time and just slabbed it down so it's not that interesting but it is effective.

IMGP4814.jpg

IMGP4817.jpg

IMGP4819.jpg

IMGP4824.jpg

IMGP4837.jpg

We had to stop for gas a lot more than expected since I was running faster than average and fully loaded and gas stations are few and far between during some parts of this trip, but the views are loverly.

IMGP4846.jpg

IMGP4855.jpg

The scenery started changing and we started to feel like we really were in the hill country of Texas. It's such a nice change from the flat and boring streets closer to Houston. It was wonderful actually getting to the place where all the fun starts.

IMGP4874.jpg

IMGP4898.jpg

IMGP4904.jpg

IMGP4905.jpg

We got there to find Bill and Brandy there and setting up for dinner...YUM! May I just say I love camping anywhere near Bill? Moose, Yogi, Chris and I set up our tents and got down to eating burgers and or dogs. I ended up going to bed early that night....so tired and ready to rest. I slept so well that night too, of course, I didn't know about the maurading javalinas yet either.

Last edited:
Day Two

I couldn't sleep any more and it was already 6:30. I mean how long do people need to sleep? All the food was in the food locker which happened to be beside the cook's tent (aka Bill) I heard "shoo pig!" and had to giggle. I was working on making coffee and Bill and crew (aka Brandy) got up to start making breakfast...and I must say that was the best french toast I've ever had (this being my first sampling) and it was the best french toast Brandy had ever made (also her first time to make it).

Soon after breakfast, we all got ready for our first day. It was going to be a light one since we wanted to sneak by the Terlingua Chili Festival before the day was out.

IMGP4917.jpg

IMGP4918.jpg

The camera had to wake up too ..lol.

IMGP4920.jpg

IMGP4921.jpg

IMGP4922.jpg

The day was beautiful and the views were spectacular. My camera can't do justice to what we saw.

IMGP4923.jpg

IMGP4929.jpg

IMGP4933.jpg

We stopped for gas at Study Butte and met Beemerchef and Spirit there by chance. Had a nice little visit too.

IMGP4936.jpg

IMGP4938.jpg

IMGP4939.jpg

IMGP4940.jpg

IMGP4942.jpg

Then we went to the Teralingua Ghost Town for a few souvenirs. No Pictures for me..and we went on to this nice overlook.

IMGP4945.jpg

IMGP4948.jpg

IMGP4949.jpg

IMGP4950.jpg

IMGP4953.jpg

IMGP4954.jpg

IMGP4955.jpg

IMGP4956.jpg

We did run across some wildlife....horses that had to cross in front of Tom

IMGP4958.jpg

IMGP4960.jpg

IMGP4966.jpg

We saw the teepees flying by...no stopping yet.

IMGP4970.jpg

and the overlook....yay!!

IMGP4971.jpg

IMGP4974.jpg

IMGP4977.jpg

IMGP4978.jpg

IMGP4979.jpg

IMGP4982.jpg

IMGP4984.jpg

IMGP4985.jpg

and billy goat, Tom

IMGP4986.jpg

Then, back on the bikes and into Presidio and El Patio for lunch..yum!

IMGP4994.jpg

IMGP4998.jpg

IMGP5000.jpg

IMGP5002.jpg

saw a really cool car...and before you ask, all I know is that is was red

IMGP5004.jpg

IMGP5006.jpg

IMGP5010-1.jpg

IMGP5015-1.jpg

IMGP5026.jpg

IMGP5019.jpg

IMGP5027.jpg

IMGP5029.jpg

The food was wondeful, most of us had the special there and I'm a new fan of the chili relleno. It was really really good food. On the way back, we went by the Chili cookoff, for a photo op, my battery was dead by then though. Squeaky got it in her report though. Some of the group went on dirt after that and the rest of us went to the Chisos Basin.

IMGP5038.jpg

another fun car

IMGP5046.jpg

IMGP5048.jpg

I started really getting the hang of the tight twisties and the higher speeds so on the way back from the Chisos Basin, I got at the end of the faster group and zip zipped all the way home. That was so much fun and I think I surprised even myself at how great that felt and how confidant I felt. It was such a good day!!
Then back home for a late night of talking and laughing. I was one of the last into bed and as I was drifting off, I heard Brandy saying "Mollie, is that you again?" LOL NOPE! That was a real javalina

Last edited:
Man... I wanna go camping with Bill!! :eat:

No doubt, when is the next DS ride.:trust: We need to get the Warrior together with the camping and cooking setup of Cagiva549 and the awesome sausage making skills of James Cain and we are set.:eat: Awesome reports you all, I need to get out West. Squeaky I loved the final video, you need to get into the video making business, I was inspired.

OK... My turn I guess.

Ever have one of those trips where try as you might... things just seem to hic'up, despite the best of intentions? Well... that was my trip.

Wednesday, also Halloween, was a pretty easy day for work. I had a meeting that morning near the house which lasted through lunch, and then the rest of the day was for me to do as I pleased. So I head to the house, and give the KLR a bath as well as my truck and then ride the KLR around a little bit while it dried. And to make sure that my recent maintenance (Sprockets, Chain, Tire, Oil & Bath) left me with no surprises. Satisfied that the green machine was good to go, I loaded it on the trailer and strapped it down.

Next was the GS. I take it off its center stand from its home in my garage and I hear a funny, “tink… tink… tink…” of metal bouncing off the bike and concrete. Well it turns out that a pivot bolt that secures the center stand had sheared leaving its threaded end well in place.

220789184-L.jpg

So on the trailer it goes, (with out a bath), and on to the near by dealership to see if they can help me. Sure enough they can, and I am back at the house.

220797996-L.jpg

I finish packing up and making ready for the trip, and go inside to try and take a nap. As I am to meet up with Squeaky & tjbrandt50 around 9:30 tonight.

Between the phone and Trick or Treater's I was unable to get my nap that I wanted, but I did rest. So around 8:15 or so I leave the house, top of the tanks with diesel and make my way over to where Squeaky works. Where I meet tjbrand50 and he and I load up his & Squeaky bikes. Squeaky of course shows up just as we are finishing up and lends a hand (pickture her clapping).:clap:

When she told me that she would be in her PJ's I intially thought that she was joking... but as you can see she was not.

220772818-L.jpg

We get everything secured and hit the road. We make it all of 9 miles or so and I notice a strap already working it's way loose, so we stop. That went over like a lead balloon... All fixed and away we go. We make it all the way to San Antonio without incident, but for our exit being closed due to construction which took a couple of minutes to sort out. But no real difficulties. We continue onward to Junction where we make a pit stop, get coffee/sodas & sugary snacks.

Now as you have read earlier I did have a bit of a fuel delivery issue. I don't want to say that I ran out... as I had been watching my fuel pretty closely ever since the low fuel warning light came on too early in our trip. You see, I have 2 tanks, a Main and an Auxillary, together I can go 900/1000 miles when not pulling anything. Anddepending on which trailer I have hiched up and how heavilly loaded I can go 500 to 800 miles. I had budgeted 650 or so with the load I had this night. So my planned fuel stop was Fort Stockton. As I pulled into the truck stop and I do mean while my drivers side door was right beside the fuel pumps, albeit on the wrong side of the pumps, fuel is no longer delivered to the injectors. I will refrain from repeating the pleasantries that I spoke to my truck mates that morning. But lets just say that Mother would be very disappointed in me. Fortunately I was able to get help from a couple of different sources and Jaime (HY-MIE), had me fixed up in no time. Total time spent (minus fueling up), was around 30 minutes without forward progress.

Anyway after all is said and done we arrive the campground 1:00 later than what was projected when we left Houston. Not too bad I don't think.

We unload the bikes... only to find out that my KLR will not start. This just beats all. That bike was running fine prior to leaving houston. Heck it ran fine just about every weekend since I bought that thing last July. I am at a loss for words. So no bad dirt roads for me this weekend.

Oh well. This riding in a group thing may be fun too.

We take a nap... well we take many small naps due to chasing the shade. For it to have been in the low 40's driving into the park. It did not take long for it to warm up. We eventually wake up and go ride a little.

220773471-L.jpg

We ride over towards Boquillas Canyon where we take turns hamming it up for the camera.

220774060-L.jpg

I couldn't resist taking this shot of tjbrandt50 taking a shot of Squeaky.

220775206-L.jpg

I wonder how many folks actually make donations?

220774632-L.jpg

We leave the canyon and head over to the Hot Springs. Prior to heading down the road Squeaky and I both ask tjbrandt50 if he was comfortable riding it and he didn't even flintch, "Lets Go, I am following you two!". So off we go.

220775802-L.jpg

Who knew that a Connie was also a dual sport bike?

220776529-L.jpg

We make it to the parking area, without issues, and I think everyone enjoyed the curvey, bumpy, rocky, road that allegedly has some pretty big cliffs on it.

Here are Squeaky and tjbrandt50 infrom of the giant palms...

220777156-L.jpg

From here we walked down to the hot springs and and then hiked out. When we remounted we decided to ride up to the basin and watch the sun set. Truthfully I was wanting to get a bite to eat, and even though I was told that DFW_Warrior would be cooking for all, I did not feel comfortable free loading like that. So we go get a bite to eat and then road back to the camp site where to my surprise everyone else was there, waiting on us... and DFW_Warrior was COOKING FOR EVERYONE!

I guess for the second day I was having too much fun riding the roads to take too many pictures. Here is a pic of DFW_Warrior at canyon pull out on 170.

220777728-L.jpg

The little town where we ate lunch

220778313-L.jpg

While in Presidio I ran over to a Autozone and bought a new battery for the KLR and then rejoined the group. We rode 170 again back to the park, but made a quick stop here...

220779002-L.jpg

After we had our "Been There" shot with the camera's we road on to the park gate. I let Squeaky know that I was not going to follow the group up to the basin, but was going to ride Old Maverick Road... She said that she wanted to follow me too. So off we go.

220780245-L.jpg

220779632-L.jpg

We stopped at Luna's Jacal and talked about how it must have been like for him all those years.

220780902-L.jpg

Then for no real reason other than to see what was there we made our way down to the Terlingua Abajo. I must say that this was a very challenging road with wash outs and boulders and yes tree limbs.... But all we found was this when we got to the end.

220824348-L.jpg

So we did the Griswald thing and then made our way back up to the trail and picked up the Old Maverick Road again. Eventually, a little dusty, but no worse for wear we make the end.

220781629-L.jpg

Well I say that we made it no worse for wear... but there is a story here. You see, Old Maverick Road exits just north of Saint Elena Canyon. So we head down to the scenic look over and again do the griswald. It is getting pretty late in the day, and I am wanting to get back to camp to enjoy DFW_Warriors cooking. So I make my way through the gears rather smartly and having a ball leaning and twisting on Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. Every once in a while I would slow up and Squeaky would catch back up. Then I would go again. Well this one time that I got to a straight away to hold up and check on my riding partner... she was not immediately coming up on my like she has done previously. So I turn around and go just a little ways and we meet each other. So I turn back around and I catch up to her in the twistys to see a pretty funny thing. He license plate flopping in the wind like a kid with a dead rat on a string tied to a stick. It took a little while for her to realize I was telling her to STOP as she was despirately trying to motion me to go on. So she stops, and I politely put her plate in in pannier and hopped back on my bike. Not really certain she knew exactly what I was doing. I must say that I was laughing pretty hard.

The last day of riding took us up the road to Fort Davis.

Here we are making our way there...

220782294-L.jpg

And of course I had to take the obligatory picture in front of Jeff Davis County Courthouse.

220782892-L.jpg

We all had a great lunch at the "Drug Store" in Fort Davis and the ride up to the Observatory. While we were there I thought I was having a flash back to being a kid in front of a black and white TV... But it was different some how??

Shamille, Shomazzile Houseenfieffer Incorpated ...

220783591-L.jpg

On the way back to camp I make a new friend...

220784322-L.jpg

We all had a good time telling stories reminiscing the weekend and enjoying DFW_Warriors catering, and Beemerchef's tales.

220784824-L.jpg

Then it was time to say goodnight & good bye's to all and hit the sack as we all had a long ride tomorrow.

220785424-L.jpg

For me this was a trip to be remembered thats for sure. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Duke

Last edited:
Try autostitch - it's free.

Thanks for the advice - I'm LOVING the Autostitch! If I'd known it would be this easy, I would have taken more panoramic shots out there. ;-)

Near the entrance to the park
221060504-XL.jpg

Boquillas
221060484-XL.jpg

The Campground
221060526-XL.jpg

The Observatory View
221060406-XL.jpg

If anyone else wants to add to the thread I started over on that "other" forum, please feel free: here

Hi Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaky...

This is autostich also... 3 pictures...

211522061-XL.jpg

actually it is Canon Photostich... a little too narrow...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Day Three

I didn't sleep nearly as well so I was up early again but this was our long day of riding so I wasn't even trying to be quiet this morning. We were treated to another wonderful cooked breakfast by Bill with help from Brandy and the breakfast making routines are refined.

Our plan today, find the soda shop and eat there and go to the Observatory. Bill kept saying he was riding at the speed he wanted and not to feel like we had to keep up, that we would stop and hook up at certain intersections. That plan worked really well and we used it the next day too.

Beautiful day again, wonderful food and way too much of it and ..... strange goings on at the Observatory.

IMGP5057.jpg

IMGP5059.jpg

IMGP5060.jpg

IMGP5065.jpg

IMGP5068.jpg

IMGP5071.jpg

The "Soda Shop"
IMGP5075.jpg

IMGP5076.jpg

IMGP5078.jpg

YUM...yum
IMGP5077.jpg

The Observatory
IMGP5080.jpg

IMGP5081.jpg

IMGP5082.jpg

IMGP5084.jpg

IMGP5085.jpg

IMGP5086.jpg

IMGP5087.jpg

IMGP5088.jpg

IMGP5090.jpg

IMGP5091.jpg

IMGP5092.jpg

IMGP5093.jpg

IMGP5094.jpg

IMGP5096.jpg

IMGP5097.jpg

IMGP5098.jpg

IMGP5100.jpg

IMGP5107.jpg

IMGP5108.jpg

On the way back down, I love this part of the state.....

IMGP5110.jpg

IMGP5111.jpg

IMGP5114.jpg

IMGP5115.jpg

IMGP5116.jpg

IMGP5119.jpg

IMGP5122.jpg

IMGP5123.jpg

IMGP5125.jpg

IMGP5126.jpg

IMGP5128.jpg

IMGP5130.jpg

IMGP5133.jpg

IMGP5140.jpg

IMGP5141.jpg

IMGP5142.jpg

no hands???

IMGP5145.jpg

more scenery

IMGP5151.jpg

IMGP5162.jpg

and that is when my camera died.

On the way back, we stopped at the grocery store for steak....yep...steak! We had company (beemerchef and spirit) that night too. I got so spoiled on this trip. Camping can't always be this much fun, right?

I was glad not to have to go home the next day, unlike half our group. I was sorry to be losing some of the funnest people I can imagine being with. Thank you Bill, Brandy, Squeaky and Duke!!!

As much fun as I had, I was really worried about the Javalinas...so going to the "bug-free, varmit-free" campsite in Banderra the next day was gonna be awesome.

and ..... strange goings on at the Observatory.

Whew! I thought you were going to post the OTHER picture inside the observatory! :giveup:

Camping can't always be this much fun, right?

I'd like to think it can! :rider:

I was glad not to have to go home the next day, unlike half our group. I was sorry to be losing some of the funnest people I can imagine being with. Thank you Bill, Brandy, Squeaky and Duke!!!

Aww, rubbing it n that you got more riding time, but following it up with such a sweet compliment! :clap:

:lol2:

Day Four

I would say I got up way early, but the fact is, I never actually went to sleep. I was hearing huge pig noises outside... and I discovered one or two things. Either javalinas are really fast and avoid pictures....or Tom's tent makes pig shaped shadows so I was trying to scare off pigs in the night and I couldn't wait to start the day.

Shoo Pig!!!
IMGP5183.jpg

I didn't actually see them but I think I heard them
IMGP5184.jpg

and pig-shaped shadows don't photograph..lol
IMGP5185.jpg

When I did wake up, it was to discover that Yogi didn't feel all that hot and our "early morning departure" was either gonna be delayed or we'd have to go on without him. No one wanted that, so we waited to see if he decided to come with us or to ride with Duke and Squeaky and thankfully, he started to feel better.

We left first, and rode until we got to the Pecos River observation area and took some loverly pictures. OH, did I mention that it was Tom, Chris, Moose and Yogi riding with me?

IMGP5187.jpg

IMGP5190.jpg

IMGP5196.jpg

IMGP5197.jpg

IMGP5198.jpg

IMGP5199.jpg

IMGP5200.jpg

IMGP5201.jpg

IMGP5202.jpg

IMGP5203.jpg

IMGP5204.jpg

IMGP5205.jpg

IMGP5206.jpg

IMGP5207.jpg

IMGP5208.jpg

IMGP5209.jpg

IMGP5210.jpg

Once we left there, the scenery changed again and we were back where there were trees and hills

IMGP5216.jpg

IMGP5221.jpg

and 337 and Mac and Ernies, which, of course, was closed on a Sunday

IMGP5222.jpg

IMGP5223.jpg

I woke up early....this is kinda a theme here....and we ate at OST before hitting the fun roads nearby.

I'm sorry to say I didn't realize there was a big ol nassy bug on my lens so the next couple of pictures all turned out splotched.

IMGP5225.jpg

IMGP5226.jpg

IMGP5232.jpg

IMGP5229.jpg

IMGP5237.jpg

We were behind a slow moving group of cars on one of the "sisters" so we had a nice little chatterbox visit, didn't we, graeme?..hehehe. I think I talked his ear off. The plan today was just to have fun and ride around as much as we could and what surprised me the most was how much fun it was to go fast. I'd not really done that before but I wasn't feeling nervous at all and I kept surprising myself at how fast I could go. I might have pushed it a little bit but nothing bad happened.

IMGP5244.jpg

IMGP5245.jpg

IMGP5249.jpg

I did manage to clean the bug off but soon after this, I was going too fast to take pictures, which is the problem with a lot of reports about riding the "three sisters"

We had a great time and got back to the campground about dusk, having hit no dear....yay! We got ready to go to dinner and ended up eating really wonderful barbeque and then going to the bar across the street. We were such a tame group though, all kinda tired and so after only a little while, we all headed back.

The plan for the next day was to get up early and get loaded up to come back to houston and I distinctly remember asking, "what time is too early to wake you?" and the answer was to just wake them up as I got ready. The only thing I really wanted to happen was to get all my gear loaded by myself and have it all fit. I may have been a little stressed about not holding everyone up.

IMGP5256.jpg

IMGP5258.jpg

IMGP5266.jpg

IMGP5268.jpg

Last edited:
:ponder: 'splain please... :scratch:
:lol2:

Nothing to see here. Move along... :yawn:

Dang... where was I?... HOW DID I MISS THIS?.. and who taking admission at the door?

You were looking at the big shiny telescope. :lol2:

The only thing I really wanted to happen was to get all my gear loaded by myself and have it all fit. I may have been a little stressed about not holding everyone up.

See - another reason to have me around. I am slower than everyone to get ready, so you'd have been fine. ;-)

Last edited:
Belly Shots!!!:eek2:

I wondered what happened to the rest of the Bailleys and schnapps:trust:

Back