• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Riveteer Pulls Up Stakes!

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Congrats. Are you going solar or are you going to be hooked into the grid?

Plug me into the grid, please!
(Would have loved to go solar, but too many tall trees-would be difficult to get the panels where they’d get enough sunlight.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
I think we were all working so hard that nobody took before and after pictures.

Just want to say thank you to SAB for picking a record breaking hot as heck weekend for this initial work day, I don't think I have sweat so much in the past 10 years. :)

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter

Just want to say thank you to SAB for picking a record breaking hot as heck weekend for this initial work day, I don't think I have sweat so much in the past 10 years. :)
Ah, don't mention it!

Brian, not quite ready for move in. Electricity still has to be run in, good electricians stay busy round here.

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
gina, got a question.

can you receive over the air broadcast television (not connected to cable or satellite)in kerrville from san antonio? i am testing equipment at the salvation army facility and without getting into long explanation want to know, ... if yes, can you get the close captioning over the air. dont bother with this if not convenient to tell . just thought to ask since you live in k ville.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Short answer: I don’t know.

Long: I haven’t owned a tv in 5 years. I’m not the person to ask!

Perhaps someone else out here will post up

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Short answer: I don’t know.

Long: I haven’t owned a tv in 5 years. I’m not the person to ask!

Perhaps someone else out here will post up
No $114 month cable bill? How do you survive. Gotta have my Bering Sea Gold, American Pickers tv shows, et al.

I was thinking you said something like that at that store we were all eating lunch at coming back from Menard tx. No big deal. May just pick this up for my diagnostic testing bag o tricks
34b9b4dd-0005-4c7e-8c2a-8da746013489_1.86698d957837c602710da80091e203df.jpg

Last edited:
When's the move date already? I know if I'm excited to see it in it's new spot, you've got to be going crazy to get it there.

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Hey Gina.... Hopefully..your lil bit o peacefulness is off of one o those nice county roads that dead end at someones gate...(read...lite traffic)

Nuthin worse than havin those pesky barritone bellows smokin up n down a busy road rite if front of your place.... (@2am)
Ask me how I kno.....

1035 Galaxy Dragway

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
When's the move date already? I know if I'm excited to see it in it's new spot, you've got to be going crazy to get it there.
Still no definite move date (heavy sigh). Getting power is taking longer than planned....investigating all options...

Water meter was installed last week, so some progress was made...

Yes, I've got itchy feet to get out there!

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Hey Gina.... Hopefully..your lil bit o peacefulness is off of one o those nice county roads that dead end at someones gate...(read...lite traffic)

Nuthin worse than havin those pesky barritone bellows smokin up n down a busy road rite if front of your place.... (@2am)
Ask me how I kno.....

1035 Galaxy Dragway

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
No thru traffic at all, short road with only two other homes. One is a retired chief of police.

Windmill

Forum Supporter
Once you get living out there it will be a more relaxed pace. Work in mornings and evenings and rest in A/C when real hot. I am on my my 3rd. homestead in 25 years I don't have another in me and I realize just to enjoy the living. The work is never done. I made a lot of mistakes in the planning stage as far as placement, but it's all fun.
I started a brush pill with intentions of burning 3 years ago. The Red Birds love it for nesting. We have birds at our feeder and bird water / bath off the porch/ window year round and love watching them. The brush pile has changed to wildlife habitat. Enjoy the adventure.

Hey Gina, congratulations on your piece of land, I just ran into this wonderful news
it's a lot of work for sure, but it should be reward it!!!
all the best!!!

Congrats! Love the Airstream. Wonderful area down that way. Is your electric served by BEC? If so, they offer internet services. They are building out fiber in a bunch of areas. Closer to Borne to start was the first, but still in the area.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
So plan to build, eventually....

Unfortunately, my area is served by KPUB. It’ll cost so much to hook into the grid that i am seriously considering going 100% solar. Still researching the options.

Windmill

Forum Supporter
I had a generator and a couple of 12 volt batteries for lights when Gen was off in 1995. I was in Bastrop and spent all I had on land. I got an old park model trailer. I ran the generator for A/C and small fridge. and turned off when I went to sleep. Used propane for heat and did the same turned off when I went to sleep. If your Riveteer has a propane fridge, they use very little gas. These new Ice chests hold ice for a week. These new 3500 watt generators are Quite. Just a thought till you get the grid. I was running HVAC service at the time and would stop to get ice, gas and propane between calls , on company time. It helped to defer cost :mrgreen: My boss would smile and shake his head when he saw the ice chest and tanks in the bed of service truck. It was a real adventure.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Just stating the obvious: going totally off-grid for electricity is all about balancing battery capacity / panel output and draw.

As Windmill says, step one is minimizing draw. Does the airstream already have DC lights, etc? That'll help on inverter loss (but can increase transmission loss due to low voltage and high current). Are all lights LED? Do propane for everything possible, then buy that in bulk.

Step two: where ya gonna put the panels? Looks like you're covered in trees. Need to anticipate tree growth, too. Panels needs to be pretty close to the batteries, which needs to be close to home. 8 gauge cables are EXPENSIVE.

Batteries: these can be as simple as golf cart batteries (don't use car) or electric forklift batteries, or ones designed for solar. How many days of power do you want on hand for cloudy days? Or, generator backup for that? ('nuther thing to buy, maintain, fuel). And batteries don't last forever, so expect maintenance and cycling in new ones every couple years.

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Solar sounds romantic and all but unless she's going to sweat the summers out , air conditioning needs signaficant AMPERAGE. Something I don't think solar can provide. Could be wrong, if enough money thrown at it. :shrug:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Yes, I’m reading and learning and talking to folks who are actually doing/living the off grid thang...

Plug me into the grid, please!
(Would have loved to go solar, but too many tall trees-would be difficult to get the panels where they’d get enough sunlight.)

[ame="https://youtu.be/4xuJqVqVoek"]Thomas Dolby - Windpower (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Progress has been slow.

JT and I have worked most Saturdays with a chainsaw, clearing live cedar and creating large piles of dead cedar.

Guys with bulldozers are busy, super busy. Hard to find someone with the time and inclination to clear and level a pad.
Did find someone and he did a great job. So now there is a large, level area for the Riveteer, etc.

Power...had to give up on the renewable energy dream. Sigh...Initial set up is expensive, on-going battery costs and just too many unknowns...So..

Talked again with local electric provider. and again. Every time we talked, I got a different story about what was required and how much it would cost.

Electricians are busy. Super busy. Took awhile to find one with the time and inclination.... Have found one and they have been great to work with so far. Especially helpful in dealing with local utility co.

Supposedly, electrical work will begin this week.

Water meter was put in months ago. Need to trench and lay the line where we need it to go.

I have moved the Riveteer from the RV park and temporarily set up camp in Fredericksburg, at my sister's place. This to avoid another month's rent, on top of land loan payment and other expenses. (Did I mention that the utility co will not lift a finger until they've been paid in full?)

Not sure if moving to FBG was the best idea...40 min commute twice daily. Stuff in FBG, stuff in storage in KVL--none of it where it is needed or wherever I am when I need it...

But, it'll happen, I'll be living out there sometime soon. It's quiet there...

Will update again when there is sumpin to report. (super exciting pictures of power poles and 2' deep trench line, I'm sure.)

Thanks for the interest and support.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
c56178c862e85ccf28f6aa18462988f9.jpg

Bulldozer at work. Young man is the operator’s grandson.

a63a7f10ee803b4a171caeb77afe3a13.jpg

39911c23d9e6a3be009f388f8ba45030.jpg

“Mule train”. The Riveteer leaves the park that had been home for 4 years. I’m driving the Taco with Sally on the hitch carrier, mom is in the blue car and JT is riding Suzi.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Where's the shed?
Ha Ha! The shed is still at the park! They graciously have allowed me to leave it there for a couple of weeks, At No Charge(!) until I can have it moved.

Helps that it is slow season; the park is half empty with all the snowbirds back up north.

M38A1

Admin
That's great news......
And the KTM? Still in the shed?

Gotta' admit, i'm jelly about what you're doing.......

JMZ

How many feet do you have to go for your electric line . Did you expect the electric company to lift a finger before being paid ? LOL.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
How many feet do you have to go for your electric line . Did you expect the electric company to lift a finger before being paid ? LOL.
How many feet... I'll let cha know after the contractor puts in the "meter loop" and the RV pedestal

electric co....yes, I did! you know that rule of thumb to never pay in advance of work being done...doesn't apply to monopolies I guess....

They've been paid and I still can't get them to tell me WHEN they'll start work...

JMZ

Yeah , they're not going to start until check clears. I thought your electric provider was a co-op . Unless it's a really short tap , they will know the distance before they charge you.

Yeah , they're not going to start until check clears. I thought your electric provider was a co-op . Unless it's a really short tap , they will know the distance before they charge you.

Welcome to Fredericksburg Gina !! Let me know if a can help in any way !!

How many feet... I'll let cha know after the contractor puts in the "meter loop" and the RV pedestal

electric co....yes, I did! you know that rule of thumb to never pay in advance of work being done...doesn't apply to monopolies I guess....

They've been paid and I still can't get them to tell me WHEN they'll start work...

Your sister moved !!! She not our neighbor any more !!!

Still no definite move date (heavy sigh). Getting power is taking longer than planned....investigating all options...
I know the feeling exactly. You just have to think of it as living on island time.
It took me from December until April to get power run to our property in Johnson City.

What kind of material did you make your drive out of?